Dual loop decisions!

Soldato
Courtesy of JediFragger, i now have the gorgeous Lian-Li v2000b sat next to me.

I currently have the v1000b modded to take an internal PA120.2 in the top, and that is currently cooling a quad @ 3.6, an 88ultra @ 720/2360 and a 680i NB, and safe to say, it's starting to get a little warm not that the central heating is on.

I plan to turn this into a dual loop system and have the rads and pumps mounted in the bottom partition, and by my calculation i can actually fit 4 PA120.3's in the bottom :eek: (which i'm not going to do, just goes to show how much space there is)

Seeing as i already have a PA120.2, i was going to stick the cpu, nb and sb into this loop, and then use a PA120.3 to cool the 88ultra. Now i know this may sound a bit odd, using the bigger rad to cool the loop with less heat dump, but i will more than likely end up getting a seconf 88ultra at some point, to which i assume will bring the total heat dump to higher than that of the cpu/chipset loop. If someone can convince me otherwise, feel free to :)

My main question is, how would you mount the rads in the bottom of the case? i could quite easily mount the 120.3 facing the floor of the case (handy having a perforated case floor :D) but then that would mean stacking the 120,2 ontop, and thus make having a dual loop pointless, as the heat will be dumped from one rad to another.

Other option would be to have the 120.3 facing the side panel, and me modding the side panel with a mesed window of sorts. I'm more than confident to do this, having already modded a window into my current v1000b (i'll be modding a window into the side panel of the v2000b anyway, so shouldnt be too much extra work...) If i were to do this though, i would then have the option to mount the 120.2 on the other side of the case. My only concern with this though, is that as there will be fans blowing air out of each side of the case, wouldn't i be creating some kind of pressure differential, as there would only be about a 4cm gap between the fans?

The other way would be to have both the 120.2 and 120.3 ontop of each other, but facing the case side, but i dont think there is enough room this way, think i need another 4cm.

I suppose i could always end up having 2x 120.2's? shouldbe sufficient right?

Aaanyway, show us your setups, any advice is welcome :)

TIA!

Associate
wouldn't i be creating some kind of pressure differential, as there would only be about a 4cm gap between the fans?

It's a perforated case. No matter what you do with airflow, it'll balance itself out. Don't worry about it.

Personally, PA120.3 in the floor, PA120.2 in the roof...
or
PA120.2 in the floor, PA160 on the front inlet.

Cut the floor away. Perforated floor still restricts airflow thru the rad by a ridiculous amount.

Soldato
OP
Not going to be mounting anything in the roof, would like to be able to access the whole motherboard if i need to, and also have all of the expansion slots usable, but, i did completely forget about the pa160.. i could very easily fit a pa120.3 facing the side panel and a pa160 on the front fan... Cheers for that.

Soldato
OP
OK, PA120.3 ordered, so i'll be able to do some 'real' measurents when it arrives, whch should be tomorrow or monday. Definately going to be using a 120.3 and a 120.2 now, any hdd's shall mod their way into the 5.25" bays (probably only one hdd, thinking on a 250gig+ seaagate 7200.11, heard these are very nice drives, and pretty much the quietest you can get, rubber mounts etc to be used...)

So, off to gut my case, will get a log up in case central within the next couple of days, hope to get some followers :D

Soldato
OK, PA120.3 ordered, so i'll be able to do some 'real' measurents when it arrives, whch should be tomorrow or monday. Definately going to be using a 120.3 and a 120.2 now, any hdd's shall mod their way into the 5.25" bays (probably only one hdd, thinking on a 250gig+ seaagate 7200.11, heard these are very nice drives, and pretty much the quietest you can get, rubber mounts etc to be used...)

So, off to gut my case, will get a log up in case central within the next couple of days, hope to get some followers :D

Will be looking forward to your W/C build log V|per m8;)

Back
Top Bottom