Best thing to use to clean out watercooling system?

Soldato
Hi there, i have a Socket A watercooling kit that i dont use any more and was looking to give it a good clean out before i sell it on.

Was just wondering what would be best to clean it out with, anything specific.

Cheers very much

Soldato
Repeatedly pumping clean hot water through it works for me.

Pump inlet in a basin of hot water, radiator outlet by the sink, turn on the pump and keep it running until the water runs out clear. If it's clogged with biological debris then you'll need something like Milton fluid to eat it away.

Soldato
Clear vinegar works very well. It will clear out all the scale and other cack. Thats what i used recently, although dont soak the bits for too long and rinse them out thoroughly and you'll be fine.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Whats the best way and liquid to use to clean a radiator out before I put it in a system ?

Radiator cleaning guide

From W3bbo:

1. rinse the rad with distilled water.
2. Fill the rad with di-ionised, shaking the radiator when it is half full of water will help a little and will start to loosen the crap inside.
3. Do the same as above but this time with white vinegar(I used white malt).
4. Fill the radiator with vinegar but this time let it sit for 6-8 hours, I left mine overnight - 8hrs.
5.Flush out the vinegar with water.
6.Repeat Step 4.
7.Repeat Step 2.
8. Keep repating until you get clear vinegar. Took me four repeats, see below:

cooking.jpg

Man of Honour
That method is no longer neccesary with rads that use water based flux (Thermochill). Hot water is fine. I personally still use vinegar after a rinse though as it still appears to move some crap even when flushed with hot water a few times but the manufacturer claims water is quite enough.

If its a 2nd hand rad that needs descalling then vinegar or a descalling solution(from an auto store) works well.

Soldato
Thanks, just ran water through my radiator, bought it 2nd hand and it leaks :/

Looks like I'll be buying a new one!

Are there any alternatives to the Thermochill that are decent quality but not 60quid?
Need a 240 atleast, maybe a 360

Soldato
Thanks, Ill have a look at one then. The one I have is a Black Ice Extreme II, was told the stealth's weren't as good, just a shame its knackered!

Ah well, £61.24 for a 120.2 delivered tomorrow!
Watercoolings becoming expensive now :(

£260 for rad, res, pump, tubing, fittings, EK Supreme CPU block and EK 8800GT block and 2x120mm fans!
£50 for Antec P182

Was only meant to start off as £200 limit! :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Man of Honour
As a suggestion the Nexxos extreme is an excellent performing rad, has not got a dense core either, so low CFM fans like yate loon 12/1300rpm are good as an example. Its a 360 rad as well.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-040-AC&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=1041

£29.99
£35.24 inc VAT

I have a triple one of the Nexxxos Extreme and for what it cost me (£29) it is a fantastic rad. Ok it is'nt as good as a Thermochill but for the sake of a couple of degrees who cares?

Soldato
I have a triple one of the Nexxxos Extreme and for what it cost me (£29) it is a fantastic rad. Ok it is'nt as good as a Thermochill but for the sake of a couple of degrees who cares?

Its an underestimated radiator in my opinion. Its nice to see another member have something nice to say about an Alpha Cool product.

Yes it is made by Black Ice for Alpha Cool to their specs

Nice feed back Pastymucher M8;)

And yes, i to use one:D

Last edited:
Soldato
It is a pretty decent radiator, as is the Aquacomputer branded version of the same item, but neither is as good as Thermochill, and by buying Thermochill you get better performance, better resale value, and you help keep Marci in a job.

Back
Top Bottom