Water Trouble - Need advice..

Associate
I have just bought the Swiftech H2O 120 Compact Kit.

I fitted my hoses to it, marked them for size, then removed and cut. When I put them back on, I realised I had put them on the wrong way round!!

When I attempted to remove the hose from the output connector it broke off. I have been advised this would be put down to my fault, so a warranty replacement would be out of the question. So now I need a new CPU block and more tubing.

I am looking at the D-Tek Fusion CPU block:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-000-DT&groupid=701&catid=193&subcat=1034

As this has 3/8" barbs, but all the tubing on this site is marked as 8mm. Is this the same as 3/8" or not?

Is this waterblock a good one to choose?

I have £900 pounds worth of PC sitting here and I can't use it because I bought an OEM CPU, so have no cooling for it. This is for an Intel Q6600 processor.

Soldato
Erm......how can that be your fault? You should be able to get the hose off without it breaking. Did you lever on it with a screwdriver or something? :eek:

If you buy a D-Tek Fusion CPU block you'll need to buy a pump as well as the swiftech compact one has a pump on top of it. It does however come with 3/8 barbs which is exactly what you get with that swiftech kit.

Associate
had similar probs with my H20 kit and luckily managed to cut the pipe off without too much damage :mad:

easiest way around it is to buy some tygon 1/2" like i did as if you have the mcp655 pump its not the easiest to get the supplied tubing on or off :)

Soldato
Just buy a good air cooler and put it down to experience. If you've broken the block, then you'll need a new pump and then you might as well get a proper water-cooling setup. Of course, it may be repairable - do you have any pictures?

Associate
Erm......how can that be your fault? You should be able to get the hose off without it breaking. Did you lever on it with a screwdriver or something?

When using 7/16" hose over plastic fittings you HAVE to cut it off. If you try pulling it off you'll break it, and that classes as physical damage by the end-user. Realistically, very few retailers would sort this by RMA... however... just head on over to Swiftech's own forums, raise the issue on there, and at a guess Gabe or Michelle will sort you out an RMA direct with them.

http://swiftnets.com/forums/index.php

3/8" fittings = 10mm ID Tubing. If you use 8mm in hot water forced over, then you'll have the same problem when you come to remove it - it will need to be cut off the barb rather than pulled off. You can only pull under-sized tubing off an over-sized barb (eg: 8mm over 3/8", 7/16" over 1/2") when the barb is made of metal.

Back
Top Bottom