Christmas work parties

Soldato
It's called etiquette and manners. The two go hand in hand. I wouldn't expect a skirt wearing Jock to understand that though.

I would agree with the bold part. I would not agree that going in a white tux is not showing these characteristics, especially considering that it would be allowed as "summer black tie".

Calm down Nancy (or should that be Morag?), it's only a bit of light hearted tom foolery.

Non-blatant joking isn't very easy to detect on the internet, obviously.

Soldato
Yeah, around here that's how the police spot paedophiles, they're always wearing white tuxedos.

:rolleyes:

lol, that is an amazing image, blokes hovering on the edge of playgrounds in white tux and top hats. i suppose it's not far off the willy wonka look.

OT, I work probably 20-30 black tie events a year, and have never turned back anyone who is simply in a suit, let alone a different colour tux, owing to the nature of some of the events you get people in native tribal dress, or people who wouldnt consider hiring a tux and dont wear a suit jacket, just shirt and tie. that is to relatively top class do's, lord mayor's ball etc.
on the whole though, xmas do's except for their existence are a complete lack of tradition, with the exception of the tradition that most people will get sloshed. I'm only working do's at tatton park this xmas, which is "black tie or themed attire" with the theme being "swinging sixties" we get an odd combination of tuxes, sheepskin trousers and austin powers velvet suits

Tru

Tru

Soldato
It is bad form to break traditional dress code, even worse than removing your jacket before the host. If he has any respect for the host he will turn up in proper dress.

Etiquette must be respected. Formal dress is one of the great traditions that hasn't been tainted too much by modern fashion and ignoring such an established dress code is disrespectful and embarrassing.

Agreed, only a rum cove would display such decadence at a formal function. I fear for Cliff's career.

Associate
We're off out tonight for a "posh do" and I'm therefore obliged to wear a tux. Fortunately Matalan came to the rescue (OK, so I'm cheap) and I picked up the whole deal (jacket, trousers, stupid frilly shirt and bow tie) for 40 notes, which must be about what I'd have to pay to hire one? Result I think, and who's going to notice/care after the first few sherberts :)

My fallback plan was going to be the Tuxedo T-Shirt - absolute genius:

imagegen.ashx

Man of Honour
Agreed, only a rum cove would display such decadence at a formal function. I fear for Cliff's career.

Not only do I fear for his career. I fear for his life. Have you ever seen an offended aristocrat? Expect it to end in a tirade of blood, expensive brandy and cigar ash if the host manages to fetch his Épée.

Soldato
OP

Lol you should have seen him the last time they went out :eek: Not what he wore but he was just slightly intoxicated :p We went to the Swansea Christmas meet a few years ago and he disappeared at one point in the evening for a while. I sent one of the blokes to look for him in the toilets and they found him in there, he'd been in there ages, on the floor iirc :p He doesn't drink very often thankfully and he's on his best behaviour tonight ;)

Soldato
I picked up the whole deal (jacket, trousers, stupid frilly shirt and bow tie) for 40 notes, which must be about what I'd have to pay to hire one?
What?! What's it made out of - toilet paper? That's the kind of garment that poor kids in 3rd world countries refuse to make! :p

How did the prices work out?
Jacket - £15?
Trousers - £10?
Shirt - £10?
Bow tie - £5?

Need pics tbh - that's shockingly cheap!

Man of Honour
Lol you should have seen him the last time they went out :eek: Not what he wore but he was just slightly intoxicated :p We went to the Swansea Christmas meet a few years ago and he disappeared at one point in the evening for a while. I sent one of the blokes to look for him in the toilets and they found him in there, he'd been in there ages, on the floor iirc :p He doesn't drink very often thankfully and he's on his best behaviour tonight ;)
Well isn't he quite the character! I say.

Soldato
OP
What?! What's it made out of - toilet paper? That's the kind of garment that poor kids in 3rd world countries refuse to make! :p

Jacket - £15?
Trousers - £10?
Shirt - £10?
Bow tie - £5?

That is really cheap, Cliff's cost £75 to hire.

Soldato
OP
I've still got the recording of him doing the staying alive movements alone on a dancefloor :p One of his workmates did it on their mobile :p

Man of Honour
We're off out tonight for a "posh do" and I'm therefore obliged to wear a tux. Fortunately Matalan came to the rescue (OK, so I'm cheap) and I picked up the whole deal (jacket, trousers, stupid frilly shirt and bow tie) for 40 notes, which must be about what I'd have to pay to hire one? Result I think, and who's going to notice/care after the first few sherberts :)

I recommend you just paint an evening outfit on, it'll probably look better. A bit of matt black for the jacket and trousers, white emulsion for the shirt, satin black for the bow tie and lapels and some gloss black for your feet.

£15-20 would do it.

Soldato
OP
I recommend you just paint an evening outfit on, it'll probably look better. A bit of matt black for the jacket and trousers, white emulsion for the shirt, satin black for the bow tie and lapels and some gloss black for your feet.

£15-20 would do it.

Lol I can just imagine that :p What a shock that would cause :p

Soldato
OP
It's only a matter of time before one of these so called 'fashion designers' does it. I suppose it would be something different. I'm sure after a few drinks you could persuade Cliff to slip into an emulsion outfit?

Hehe, even he wouldn't do that I don't think :p

Associate

Jacket - £15?
Trousers - £10?
Shirt - £10?
Bow tie - £5?

I think the jacket is normally £30 on its own, but they threw in a pair of trousers for another tenner, and then the silly shirt/bow tie combo was a freebie if you went for the jacket/trousers deal. For the money I don't really mind if it doesn't last more than this one occasion, as long as it sees me through the night! Or at least to the point where I no longer care about my clothes falling apart/off.

I *might* take a pic later if I remember (and don't look like a complete nonse in all the gear.)

Back
Top Bottom