Game of the year - Bioshock

Soldato
Lets not forget the game is repetative and has 0 replay value.

Who wants to complete a game twice just to see a different outro?

It did deserve an award for most ill-conceived FOV though.

Caporegime
The cut off point for these awards seem to be about september. No way was oblivion a better game last year than either gears of war or Rainbow 6 which where released later in the year.

The same with biopap. Its a fair enough once through game but wouldn't make my top 5. No one cared about it a month after release.

Soldato
CoD4, Mario Galaxy, Orange box and Halo 3 are all easily better than BioShock.

Edit: Mass effect too.

Agreed, Bioshock had an interesting setting, great graphics and the music was fantastic, but the game was so boring I only managed to drag myself through half of it.

CoD4 or Orange Box should have got this in my eyes (Haven't played the others you mentioned Kreeeee)

Soldato
id agree with BioShock being one of my games of the year.

Whether or not its THE game of the year is always going to be debated, at least we have a good few candidates.

Mass Effect would be the outright winner if i was the judge

V1N

V1N

Associate
I got bored part way through too.

Played the PC version myself, with the DX10 gubbins enabled (for whatever difference it makes)

To start with, I was wowed. The graphics look great, the beginning in the sea really starts you off with a smile on your face.

The style of the game is superb. I just loved the artistic design.
The weapons, the EVE, brilliant.

I wanted to love it.

I got part way through the game though, and just couldn't face it any more.
Bored out of my head, and I had Crysis & Drake's Fortune waiting for me.

A game that showed great promise, but was ultimately let down (IMO) by boring objectives.

Defininitely not game of the year.

As for my game of the year, tough call, there have been some real beauties this year. I'm tempted to say Crysis immediately. However, as brilliant as I found it at first, after the jungle scenes end, it lost some of its appeal to me. Still good fun, and exciting to play, but using the suits functions, against the Koreans, in the jungle, was what it was all about for me.

Thinking back, R:FOM was a cracking game. More recently, Drake's Fortune too. I've only just started COD4 so can't comment on that yet. The Orange box was certainly good, although are we counting that as one game? Episode Two was certainly very good, but really was short. The Darkness I loved. I've yet to play much of Medal of Honor: Airborne, but I think COD4 is better from what I've seen so far. I'm also yet to try GOW PC version, which I'm hoping'll be good.

2007 really has been a top year for games :)
I don't know if I can pick an overall favourite.
V1N.

Permabanned
Dumb.

No way it should have won GOTY.

Game was just another shooter to me, good story but I got bored half way through and stopped playing it.

Soldato
No where near deserved it imo. Good game, but lets see anyone try and play it a second or third time round. The visuals weren't even too hot given that it was the Unreal 3 engine. Great story but that's all.

I was expecting a scary RPG. Instead I got a repetitive one where I could hold and use every single weapon without any char development. From my pov the GOTY goes to Mass Effect.

Associate
i voted for bioshock and it was the best game of this year. the story graphics, guns etc was all perfect

let's face it there have been cods before and rpgs and blah blah but bioshock brought something different and that's why it deserved to be game of the year

Last edited:
Soldato
let's face it there have been cods before and rpgs and blah blah but bioshock brought something different and that's why it deserved to be game of the year
Thats the thing. Biochoc was almost identical to System Shock 2. So how is it any newer then what you've mentioned. Even the legend that is Yahtzee saw that.

Last edited:
Associate
No, it was almost identical, but incredibly dumbed down for the console generation. Same as Deus Ex 2.

Very similar in tone, but more accessible and with broken/tedious mechanics done away with.

I haven't played CoD4 yet (despised the beta) but I think either Bioshock, Halo 3 or Mass Effect would be worthy.

I also haven't played Mario Galaxy, not having a wii, but have heard nothing but superlatives about that. Wasn't it in the running?

Saying that I think Bioshock's combination of fantastic art design, great music, awesome voice acting ("Musical GREMLIN!" :) ) and distinctive setting do make it stand apart from it's peers.

Associate
I also never mustered the motivation to finish Bioshock, levels got too repetitive for me... staring at the map at the beginning of a new level began to make me feel sick.

Mass Effect or COD4 were more in line for GOTY. A lot of people I know have already completed a second play through of Mass Effect and I could quite easily start it over (which I rarely do with games).

Back
Top Bottom