SPL Season 2007/2008 Thread **Spoilers**

Man of Honour
Just watched the highlights, Brown did a power of running and played some top class football. I cant think of a better midfielder in the country right now.

What about McGeady? I think even Brown is quoted as calling him the best in the country right now or are we still calling him "the one who got away"?

Rather disappointed personally with the 1-1 draw with Gretna, they seem to be like Livi for us a few seasons back but such is life.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
What about McGeady? I think even Brown is quoted as calling him the best in the country right now or are we still calling him "the one who got away"?

Rather disappointed personally with the 1-1 draw with Gretna, they seem to be like Livi for us a few seasons back but such is life.

I had in mind the central midfield when I wrote that but you're right, from what I've heard McGeady is probably in better form but I've seen a lot more of Brown recently. Of course, if young Aiden was actually playing for his country, that wouldn't be the case, but there we go.

Man of Honour
He has done a great job, as he always does, and I will welcome his appointment to the national team once McLeish bails to Birmingham. ;)

Indeed, turning perennial relegation hopefuls into a solid mid-table side with a minimal budget is no small achievement.

I said when Hearts sacked him that it was a bad move because he was a good manager and I still say it now. I'm fairly well used to bad moves in the managerial department by now from Hearts though. If McLeish does go, and it just looks like a matter of time really, then I'd be very happy with Levein taking charge, as astute a manager as he was a player and quite used to playing teams with superior resources.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
I know this isn't strictly SPL material but......

McLeish is to be the new Birmingham boss

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7114028.stm

I can't blame him, and I'm not surprised. The EPL is a managerial holy grail in the UK and he deserves a crack at it after his good work in Scotland.

A rather mundane footnote is that him and MON will again be managing city rivals.

I wish Eck all the best and hope the SFA can get on the blower to Craig Levein asap.

Associate
Levein has done a cracking job since taking over at Dundee Utd, as well as having a solid history managing Hearts - I would certainly welcome his appointment to the national side

However, he failed in the Championship and this may not work in his favour particularly if Billy Davies is approached. I think Davies could actually do a good job for us.

I just hope the SFA don't go for the cheapo option and promote Aitken...

I'm not too disheartened about seeing big eck go tbh, he did very well granted and will always be remembered for that win against France. But the result against Georgia was miserable and the complete reluctance to gamble during the Italy game shortly after it became 1-1 was very frustrating

Last edited:

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Aitken has a decent record as an assistant manager so I'd be happy to see him remain there.

I'm not a fan of Billy Davies. I don't think he has enough experience and I don't like his face, voice and general demeanour one bit.

Soldato
I'll happily have someone that's not just going to use the job as stop gap till the next big thing comes along. The Scotland job is being passed about like a scud book in the Jail these days.

Man of Honour
Scores for the day with Hibs - Aberdeen on Sunday.

Hearts 1-1 Celtic
Dundee Utd 0-1 Inverness Caley
Motherwell 3-0 Gretna
Rangers 2-0 Kilmarnock
St Mirren 1-5 Falkirk

Bit of a tonking for the Buddies today and Hearts perhaps a little fortunate to get the point but hell, I'll take it and happily. :)

Soldato
The game had 0-0 slapped all over it i thought and even when Celtic scored i didn't see another goal in it.... Then up pops Caldwell, dunno what the hell he was thinking shoving that lad....Oh well, on to Milan we go :D

Associate
Aitken has a decent record as an assistant manager so I'd be happy to see him remain there.

As far as i was aware he left with Eck to Birmingham but i think he would be a great candidate.

I would like to see Craig Levein offered the job and i must say that Mark Mcghee
deserves a look at too.
Billy Davies although a decent manager just doesnt have enough in his locker imo for the job.
We need someone who not only knows how to manage properly but can inspire and motivate the players in the way Walter and Alex did and that is where Levein and McGhee come in.

Man of Honour
Aberdeen 2 Kilmarnock 1
Celtic 1 St Mirren 1
Falkirk 3 Dundee Utd 0
Hearts 1 Motherwell 2
Inverness CT 2 Hibernian 0

Gah, Hearts were leading after 12 minutes but appear to have given it all away in the second half. Motherwell have been doing well recently though.

Soldato
Its always the same after a champs league game - we seem to be either incredibly vulnerable or unable to be properly motivated.

Not sure whether it is tiredness or tiresome.

Associate
The Hearts game today was horrific.

First of all I forgot my season ticket which meant queuing up for 15 minutes to get a ticket and paying an extra two quid "administration charge".

I'm in the front row in the asbestos filled Main Stand which resulted in me being frozen and soaked to the bone as the roof doesn't cover the first 5 or so rows. Thankfully I didn't have to ignore any stewards asking me to sit down this week. I specifically asked for my seat to be in N1 as I want to spend the whole game standing. Everyone else in this section is standing, go and annoy someone else for a change.

The first signs that this was going to be a bad day came when I heard the team line up. Kurskis (third coice keeper) being drafted in for his first game and Tall (easily our best defender) being left on the bench didn't bode well for the game.

Last season this would have resulted in my heart sinking to the pit of my stomach. However, I am now used to incompetence that borders on sabotage and as such unintellagable team selections don't have that big an effect on me any more. Nowadays I accept it and hope for the best.

The first half was reasonable and we should have gone in leading by more than one goal. Unfortunately the second half was truly horrendous and we were made to pay for missing several good chances to make it 2-0.

For Motherwell's first goal Jose 'useless lanky streak of p**h' Goncalves went to header the ball out of play only for it to cannon off the back of his ugly napper across the face of goal for the Motherwell forward to knock into the empty net. Why we turned down over 1 million for that useless inbred imitation of a left back is beyond me. We could have got a far more competant fullback for 50p. I would have been more than willing to drive him to the airport myself for half of what that incredibly stupid Spanish club were offering for him.

Their second was an own goal which says it all.

The bit that really hurts is that we have the making of a half decent team. Against the Weegies we have won 2, drawn 1 and lost 1. With the exception of a 5-0 humping away to Celtic we have given as good as we have got against them. However, taking points of them is completely pointless if we then proceed to lose to Motherwell and draw with sodding Gretna.

A half decent manager would be able to get us to third place with the minimum of fuss. However, this would deny Mad Vlad the chance to play a real life version of Football Manager.

Why I pay money to watch this beyond me. I wish I didn't care but I'm addicted.

Back
Top Bottom