iPhone - Those who will be buying one, in here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
5bjoshua - you sorted your cancellation yet? Just got a bill from O2 for £582. You can imagine my happiness! Apparently my return wasn't marked as a "14 day return" so they decided to charge me for the additional 17 months of my contract and it will now be reversed.

This happened last time i left O2 also...shoddy freaking useless money grabbing bar stewards!

:eek::eek::eek:

I think so....

After that little escapade above they have put my account to say that i owe them -£5. Im tempted to give them my credit card details so i can get a free £5!!!

I got a email through from O2 asking to answer a questionnaire for them! Ooooooo i had fun!

Josh

EDIT- I agree with your blog, the alarm is terrible!!! It rings like twice then says do you want to snoooze. Its supposed to keep on going until you press the phone.

Last edited:
Soldato
just jailbroken mine after a night of looong hard work, bit POed that itunes has lost my backup of everything that was on the iphone, it decided to backup the new install and overwrite my old one. But glad i've got apps working. No VVM at the moment though, and havent been able to make a call. Bit worried. but im used to no calls - no signal at my house :s

Shamefully cut 'n' pasted :)

Q) I've just jailbreaked 1.1.2, and I am on an iPhone tariff. Edge & Visual Voicemail dont work. What can I do?

A) Okey firstly, please read the following. This solution will only work for O2 iPhone Tariff Customers!! What you need to do is SSH into the iPhone, and issue the following commands:

rm /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist

ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/O2_UK.plist /var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.carrier.plist

rm -f /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

I had to do this to get things working.

Associate
Ran those commands but still no joy with the signal, so have decided to fully restore back to OTB 1.1.2, had my fun and as there's been widely documented problems with jailbroken iphones and signal issues, then i'm happy as it was.

Fingers crossed that'll fix everything! :(

EEP - think i might be in the ****, just restored and still no luck on any mobile signal connection :(

Pleease, anyone any ideas?! :(

Last edited:
Associate
Pleease, anyone any ideas?! :(

Are you PAYG or contract?

PAYG you can't get edge only GPRS

You might have to reupload the lockdownd file if it didnt get done properly when jailbreaking. This will hopefully solve signal issues.

If you are on contract then to get edge working do this

SSH onto iphone (there are a few guides around)
navigate to / > System > Library > Frameworks > CoreTelephony.framework > Support > O2_UK.plist
open the plist file and set APN to "mobile.o2.co.uk", username to "faster" and password to "web"
then turn off the phone. remove sim. turn on again. turn off. put sim back in. turn on, then go into settings > general > reset
and reset all phone settings (this wont delete your data)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I've heard of issues concerning the WiFi but not making calls.

You always have the 14 day return policy if you bought from 02 (to save you) ;)

Associate
I got it on release, all legit on iphone contract - i jailbroke cos i fancied a bit of a change on it and read about you guys getting on so well with it - GUTTED now :(

I wouldn't know where to begin for this 'lockdownd' file, as i've mainly been using iDemocracy, so pretty much automated, I should leave this to people who know what they're doing :( anyone care to help a poor sod in need? :(

Any suggestions as countless restores have been getting me nowhere. It's just giving me no signal repeatedly, or a signal meter with the first bar filled and nothing else. Ugh, sorry :(

Associate
Can you not find an automated "Virginise" application?

iDemocracy has a virginiser, but it seems to be for non-1.1.2 as it says it'll mess with the bootloader? I'm on windows btw, but can access a mac in the future hopefully, if that'll be my only hope.

I've still got all access to the phone, it's just unable to pick up a signal, and therefore activate this time. I'm pretty sure what i've done will be traceable, so i'm gonna have to go back through and sort it aren't I? :(

Associate
don't bother with idemocracy, do it the following way as described in this link http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df42qbzg_2hr6trv&pli=1

Do a full iTunes restore before doing this and your iPhone will be like the day you bought it (ie unactivated!).

I've done three with this method and its really easy once you get going.

So, as i understand this, If i re-jailbreak the phone this way, and folow the directions at the bottom to gain my signal back, will I be able to just go into itunes and hit restore, thereby getting my virgin iphone back good as new? Thanks very much for this btw, if it works, i owe you BIG TIME :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone unlocked their UK iPhone that came out the box with 1.1.2 and the new bootloader to use with an PAYG o2 sim?

Associate
So, as i understand this, If i re-jailbreak the phone this way, and folow the directions at the bottom to gain my signal back, will I be able to just go into itunes and hit restore, thereby getting my virgin iphone back good as new? Thanks very much for this btw, if it works, i owe you BIG TIME :)

Right I think we are getting a bit muddled up here.

Have u got a proper iphone contract?

I would start with a full restore in iTunes.

Then do the usual jailbreaking routine. Ie. Downgrading firmware, jailbreak, update and jailbreak again. (follow the guide in the link for a more detailed view)

This should get u going and u might not need the lockdownd file. Only use it if u are still getting signal issues.

Typing this on my iPhone which is taking a while!!

Associate
Right I think we are getting a bit muddled up here.

Have u got a proper iphone contract?

I would start with a full restore in iTunes.

Then do the usual jailbreaking routine. Ie. Downgrading firmware, jailbreak, update and jailbreak again. (follow the guide in the link for a more detailed view)

This should get u going and u might not need the lockdownd file. Only use it if u are still getting signal issues.

Typing this on my iPhone which is taking a while!!

Right, I've got a proper iphone contract on this SIM, I've just run through your jailbreak guide and tried that solution for the no signal problem, but i still have it :(

Oh dear :(

Last edited:
Associate
I been watching this scene for a while now, have all the required files downloaded and pretty much ready to go............but

Your problem is the one thing that i am dreading :(

Im on the £35 O2 pukka iphone contract and would hate to lose that connection.

I really hope you get it sorted, keep digging the net and never give up.

The 1.1.3 update is due very soon mabye there is something there that will trigger it off again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Here's a thought.. if you just restore it in iTunes so it's like-new then can't you just ring up Apple and say you've been having problems getting a signal?

You might be lucky and get them to replace the handset under warranty.

Soldato
Here's a thought.. if you just restore it in iTunes so it's like-new then can't you just ring up Apple and say you've been having problems getting a signal?

You might be lucky and get them to replace the handset under warranty.

Just restore it and take it back to where you got it. They'll change it, job done.

Associate
Just restore it and take it back to where you got it. They'll change it, job done.

This is what I was hoping to be able to do if i couldn't fix it myself. I'm thinking about doing it but quite scared that they may have seen this before on hacked iphones, and just void my warranty there and then after a bit of digging in the files that don't get restored and seeing they've been changed, as there's obviously some that have been change or this problem wouldn't persist over all of the updates, downgrades etc. :(

Where should I go? The Carphone warehouse where i bought it, or the O2 shop in town?

Back to my efforts to fix it: Will using the revirginizing tool to 1.0.2 (which was a US firmware) then just using itunes to update straight to 1.1.1 then to 1.1.2 be safe? Or do i risk completely changing anything very permanent?

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
This is what I was hoping to be able to do if i couldn't fix it myself. I'm thinking about doing it but quite scared that they may have seen this before on hacked iphones, and just void my warranty there and then after a bit of digging in the files that don't get restored and seeing they've been changed, as there's obviously some that have been change or this problem wouldn't persist over all of the updates, downgrades etc. :(

Where should I go? The Carphone warehouse where i bought it, or the O2 shop in town?

Well I don't think the 02 shop will help you, I'd try CPW.

CPW probably won't be technically trained, and either a) Tell you to try Apple direct b) replace it on the spot c) Be ignorant and mention the insurance you didn't take out, and not help you.

I can't see them knowing how it's broke.. just claim ignorance!

Back
Top Bottom