iPhone - Those who will be buying one, in here.

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Soldato
exactly, if all else fails just hit restore in iTunes, it will wipe the lot, restore it back to factory default.

if its still not working with the pucka iPhone sim then send it back, if its working again then try the hack from scratch.

Associate
Turned on data-roaming... Now posting on the iPhone :-/ really confusing this! Still got the one bar of signal with no 'o2-uk' label. Also got a text through this morn but the 1 bar of signal with the label disappeared pretty swift.

As far as I know, a restore in iTunes basically 'formats' the phone and reinstalls software to get the iPhone to the state it was in out of the box.

So wouldn't this get rid of any evidence of jailbreaking?

This is how I understood it before jailbreaking. But looking at things further:

This signal issue most likely isn't a coincidence as it occured after I did the whole jailbreak. So the problem must be a software issue. This is good and bad - good because it means there's a chance I could fix it. But is bad because if I can't fix and take it back it means they'll be able to tell probably.
Another thing is that surely some things must not be changed in the software, otherwise the 1.1.1 with oktoprep to 1.1.2 then jailbreak method wouldn't work.

May try the CPW though.

Last edited:
Associate
the old anysim unlock used to modify the baseband so you could tell the phone had been hacked but jailbreaking only alters a few files on the phone itself iirc.

But anyway, like artaxerxes says just go for it. The guys at o2 or CPW won't have a clue about filesystems on the phone. All they care about is their comission ;)

Soldato
Another thing is that surely some things must not be changed in the software, otherwise the 1.1.1 with oktoprep to 1.1.2 then jailbreak method wouldn't work.

That's different, an upgrade doesn't wipe the phone and start from scratch. That's how oktoprep gets around it.

Are you sure that the really pants reception isn't just down to O2? I was in Carlisle last week and barely had two bars all through the town centre, and no Edge to be seen.

Associate
Wow, looks like i might have a bit of a self-healing iphone here. After 2 days of near no-contact with the O2 network, randomly got 3 texts through last night and managed a call that failed after 30 secs. But tonight was better, got a text about 5 and have had pretty much fully working phone since then.... weird or what! See how long it lasts - fingers crossed :) thanks for help guys.

Anyway, went into CPW today with it, the guy just said contact apple and sent me on my way

Soldato
I'm going France next year, can i pick up an unlocked iPhone from there? I'm on o2 PAYG in the uk so i should'nt think it's a problem. Also, what is the price like for a unlocked phone over there? Any disadvantages etc?

Associate
Wow, looks like i might have a bit of a self-healing iphone here. After 2 days of near no-contact with the O2 network, randomly got 3 texts through last night and managed a call that failed after 30 secs. But tonight was better, got a text about 5 and have had pretty much fully working phone since then.... weird or what! See how long it lasts - fingers crossed :) thanks for help guys.

Anyway, went into CPW today with it, the guy just said contact apple and sent me on my way

How's the phone going?

I'm so wanting to do the hack to mine !!!!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I'm going France next year, can i pick up an unlocked iPhone from there? I'm on o2 PAYG in the uk so i should'nt think it's a problem. Also, what is the price like for a unlocked phone over there? Any disadvantages etc?

Apparently the French iPhone is country-locked.

Meaning, you can unlock it (and use it on any network in France for an extra 100 Euro) but you won't be able to use GSM networks outside France.

Soldato
Apparently the French iPhone is country-locked.

Meaning, you can unlock it (and use it on any network in France for an extra 100 Euro) but you won't be able to use GSM networks outside France.

Damn, I hate Apple and the locking down and price of the iPhone :mad:

Associate
How's the phone going?

I'm so wanting to do the hack to mine !!!!

Well, it seems to be regenerating full function over time. Has been working as normal today mostly, texts now coming through at the right time rather than just during phone calls. So relieved, but i keep thinking it'll happen again, and it prolly will lol :(

Here's a new theory: Seeing as it wasn't the phone that was playing up, not hardware or software clearly as it's just started working. Perhaps O2 barred me temporarily for a while due to the number of times i kept activating during the many times i tried to change firmwares during hacking?

Associate
Anyone nkow when this 1.1.3 update is coming, ive read sooo many threads stating that it was suppost to be last week ?? or was that the week before ??

I bet they delayed them to try and sort all the hacking out !!

Im getting real itchy waiting for official applications, i was even sitting @ my PC last night with everything ready to unbrick etc but for some reason i didnt hit the restore..... I dont know how long i can last !!!!

I should have never tinkered around with my PSP, once you got the bug its a hard one to shake :eek:

And summerboard 3.0 is out as well ;)

Associate
Well, it seems to be regenerating full function over time. Has been working as normal today mostly, texts now coming through at the right time rather than just during phone calls. So relieved, but i keep thinking it'll happen again, and it prolly will lol :(

Here's a new theory: Seeing as it wasn't the phone that was playing up, not hardware or software clearly as it's just started working. Perhaps O2 barred me temporarily for a while due to the number of times i kept activating during the many times i tried to change firmwares during hacking?

Sunspots... solar wind?

Soldato
I could do with a bit of help please, my laptop hard drive has just gone pop!

new one is on the way, but I will have to reinstall everything, including iTunes, is there a way of backing up what I have on the iPhone so as when I plug it into iTunes for the first time it doesnt sync it and I loose everything :(

Man of Honour
For emails on the iPhone, does anyone know what I have to set the smtp to?

I'm using my ntlworld account, receives everything fine but can't send emails at the moment. Had the same issue with my PC when I moved back home, had to set it to the Orange Home smtp

Associate
For emails on the iPhone, does anyone know what I have to set the smtp to?

I'm using my ntlworld account, receives everything fine but can't send emails at the moment. Had the same issue with my PC when I moved back home, had to set it to the Orange Home smtp

Use this for the outgoing "smtp.ntlworld.com"

Well thats what im using for my pc anyways, havent sent any NTL stuff from the phone yet, i assumed it synced it all anyways ?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
.. you can always try to set the outgoing port to 587 if you're having issues sending.

I have heard NTL are terrible at allowing you to set up POP accounts. Blocking ports on their servers unless you're on your home IP.. don't quote me.

Back
Top Bottom