Web host

Soldato
I am kinda annoyed of my current provider (won't name names) so I am looking out for a new host.

I need a company that is dependable and reasonably priced (upto £50/mo)

I basically need my website to load up within seconds 24/7 and emails to come in and go within seconds like they should.

I think a dedicated server may be an option, but more important is the service.

Any reccomendations?

I like Cpanel interfaces as they are easy to use and my website is there at the moment, so I can download and put it on my new server iirc.

Ideas?

need at least 3 gig "space"

Associate
Hi,

Speak to Rus at a2b2 Click the live support so you can have a proper chat.

The website doesnt look much but the service and uptime is great. I have been with them for over a year and any problems have been quickly sorted.

For £50 a month you will be able to get a decent VPS with cPanel which is pretty much like a dedicated server as you get a chunk of a server just for you.

Talk to Rus as he will be able to customise something for you to your needs.

They do shared hosting aswell but I have found that a VPS beats any shared hosting.

Tell him Daniel sent you...I may get a £1 of next years hosting...lol :D

Soldato
I am with Host Monster [www.hostmonster.com] and I am very happy with them. It is shared hosting, but you get a tonne of resources...

300GB per Month Transfer
300GB HDD space
Unlimited MySQL databases
PHP 5
Unlimited FTP/Mail accounts

yadda yadda yadda. Check out their homepage. Might not be what you are after but they are very cheap, pretty damn good support [24/7 including live chat] and so far very reliable.

Associate
The fully managed VPS services from Layershift are very good. They howerver do run plesk. Still nice to have a VPS in which you know is backed up etc etc.

http://uk.layershift.com/
Thanks for the recommendation - appreciated! I bumped into this thread by accident and I just had to add to your comment regarding Plesk.

I see in this case that the OP is currently using cPanel, but that shouldn't cause any problems since migrating to another panel such as Plesk is pretty painless - and of course we're happy to help where possible.

Beyond that, you're more than welcome to run cPanel on an unmanaged VPS if you prefer - just we prefer the reliability and security of Plesk for our managed range since it gives us less headaches ;)

Overall I definitely agree with Daniel's post that a VPS is generally a great solution compared to shared hosting; it's really nothing more than a different way of dividing a physical server up between multiple customers, but the benefits of having your own isolated environment (the extent of isolation depends on the virtualisation technology) - often with guaranteed hardware resources - really helps enhance the reliability.

However, just as with shared hosting you have to watch out for overselling, and unfortunately it's really easy for providers to do this without you knowing (until it's too late). In particular, a provider can easily overload their hardware nodes (physical servers) such that you don't get much CPU usage or RAM availability. This would either mean that you need to upgrade to a higher spec. VPS than you would otherwise require, or your VPS simply doesn't work properly. In short, experienced VPS providers should be wise enough to know how to manage VPS platforms properly, and have learnt that ultimately overloading a server will cause more problems long-term than providing a high quality service at a slightly higher price...

It should be obvious that our policy is to spec. our servers such that we have spare RAM for bursting (a feature of the Virtuozzo VPS platform) - something which would obviously be useless to our clients if we had no more, or even less than, the VPS plans hosted on each hardware node require.

Finally (since I seem to be writing a book here!), I'd point out the obvious in that if you're taking an unmanaged VPS it means that you need to manage it... which is pretty much the same responsibility as managing a dedicated server; you have to be comfortable with troubleshooting, security, patching, compiling etc. If you're not this person (or not willing to learn, and perhaps suffer bits of downtime along the way) then you may benefit from a fully managed solution instead - there are a few of these around now.

Associate
Welcome aboard dude, better remove your sig for here though - no advertising allowed in these parts :)

Apologies. When I post on forums I prefer to be upfront about who I am etc. since it avoids problems and misunderstandings. I consider it to be good manners to tell people that I'm from Layershift when I post, but I take your point and will leave it out on here.

If you have cPanel with WHM then your VPS will be managed. Every night it will check for software and security updates.

As others have said, automated checks in cPanel/WHM are not management. If we take that leap of faith and assume that it works properly, this part of "management" only handles updates, it doesn't resolve troubleshooting, or proactive resolution to service issues.

In reality though, cPanel updates often break cPanel or associated systems anyway.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Stay away from shared hosts which claim stupid amounts of resources which they can't provide, Dreamhost in particular (I don't want to get into another argument with people over this, though).

I've had nothing but good experiences with VidaHost, which are fully UK based as well.

Soldato
Hi,

Speak to Rus at a2b2 Click the live support so you can have a proper chat.

The website doesnt look much but the service and uptime is great. I have been with them for over a year and any problems have been quickly sorted.

For £50 a month you will be able to get a decent VPS with cPanel which is pretty much like a dedicated server as you get a chunk of a server just for you.

Talk to Rus as he will be able to customise something for you to your needs.

They do shared hosting aswell but I have found that a VPS beats any shared hosting.

Tell him Daniel sent you...I may get a £1 of next years hosting...lol :D

Do they host their own website? as it seemed to load very slow loading their page, and im on a dedicated leased line at work with plenty of bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom