Loud bang from imersion heater....

Permabanned
the element in ours is on the side quite near the bottom, our tanks a bit different to my parents one though, this tank has the usual big tank and then what looks like a second smaller one on top (about a 3rd of the size of the big tank) and a bit sticking out between the two

would probably be easier if i took a photo but we're trying to run the bath with a kettle at the moment :p

Like this?

Soldato
OK now I know you actually mean the cylinder that does help a lot! But sunama and starscream seem to have it right. You will need to drain off the cylinder completely if you have a side mounted one (most are on the top so you wouldn't need to drain it all). Also you will need an immersion spanner as previously mentioned. But your plumber friend will almost certainly have one of these anyway. They're easy enough to replace, it's just a shame that you need to drain the cylinder, that will take the longest thing out of everything!

Permabanned
exactly like that :)

OK, see that pipe to the left of the element on the tank (crap quality I know, but couldn't be bothered getting my 5D out!) make sure you attach a hose on to get the rest of the water out. You will definately need that immersion spanner to get the element out (mine was stuck on hard). Other than that, I'd definately say it was a DIY job unless you are worried about it.

Soldato
OP
cheers, the missus dads coming round to give me a hand tomorow as he's done it before apparently, our bloody drainage taps right round the back and its in a tiny cupboard >_< should be doable though :)

cheers

Man of Honour
I replaced my immersion heating element a few years back. I'm pants at plumbing but it was quite easy (apart from the fact that the first replacement element had a faulty gasget ffs - had to return it and do it a second time).

I can't remember how much the new element was but it was quite cheap from B&Q. Fitting was easy too. Just unscrew the very large hexagonal "nut", pull it out and screw it back up. The only problem is needing a suitable tool to unscrew it. But, in my case, the element was at the top of the tank so I didn't bother draining it. You will have to if it's at the bottom like in that pic.

Back
Top Bottom