Your thoughts on the Rolex Submariner with green bezel?

Man of Honour
That is ghastly Rotty :p

I know its silly to post watches in threads like these, but the thread inspired me to go watch hunting and I think this is one of the coolest watches ever:

28035237.gif

Mmmm.

Associate
I have no need to impress any body.
Not smoking 20 cigarettes per day for 18 months pays for this watch. I do not smoke.
ALLI, do you make such comments to smokers as they are spending their money on tobacco rather than helping the homeless?
Do you stand outside Thomas Cook travel agents trying to pursuade people to think more wisely about spending £1000s on a holiday that may last a couple of weeks?
If you buy a new car for say £20,000 and then drive it out of the garage forecourt you have instantly lost £3500 which is the VAT. I realise that £20,000 is a lot to pay on a car but it is the point that I am trying to convey.
I bought a CRT TV 2 years ago for £500 as I did not think flat screen technology was advanced enough. The local TV shop offered me £25 for it last week. A loss of £475. What a waste of money.
As I aim to keep this watch for many years the watch will not really go down in value in comparison to many consumer items. If I keep it long enough it will even appreciate. The added bonus is that I have had the pleasure of owning it! Not just a fading tan as in the case of the holiday scenario or the cough or maybe worse after years of smoking.
I think that it is important to live within your means. Have a thought for the 1000s of people who are spending on credit over the festive period. It is the media that encourages them to accumulate vast debt. Many will be still paying for this Christmas next Christmas.

Regards, PeterT

Good post, should have that as a disclaimer in all the 'Spec me a watch' threads! :D

Regarding the watch, I like it, I just think when you get bored of the green face you may not. I think the black would have more lasting appeal.

Last edited:
Associate
I like 1 and 2, I'm not a fan of yellow Gold. Probably 2 the most I think that is a really unique shade of green, it could look different in person though.

Love the comments about wasting money. We're on a flipping PC enthusiast forum.:p A hobby is a hobby just because you wouldn't spend your money on a certain thing, doesn't mean that it's wrong.

SIB

SIB

Associate
I have the new GMT master II with the ceramic bezel and it's a really nice watch. Had a sea dweller with i traded and still have a Daytona which i am keeping hold of for just now (as well as a few Panerai's , a Doxa 1000T Sharkie, and a new Citizen Skyhawk "atomic"). My favourite is the GMT II despite it being a long way from the most expensive.

I love the way these watch threads always turn into a "It's a watch, you can tell the time on your phone so what do you need one for, etc...Or if you must get one, get a £9.99 casio as it will tell the same time (better infact, due to the quartz movement as opposed to auto).
I guess these people all wear the cheapest jeans that can find (they are only there to cover your legs after all), own one pair of shoes (you can only wear one pair at a time so what's the point in owning more?), never go on holiday, don't go out for a drink (why pay more to drink in the pub, a bottle of beer is cheaper from the supermarket?). Of course they don't, so why do people always say this about watches?

Man of Honour
Not in the same league but when I bought my Tag I had the choice between the black and red faces, it was a tough one as I was concerned that given a couple of months to sink in I'd get tired of the red but I went with it and don't regret it a bit. It's a bit different and I think thats important...I'd say go for it, it looks a nice watch..

Associate
OP
Nitefly, I was looking at the Omega Aquaterra as in your pic but with the metal strap
It is a very classy watch apart from the clasp on the strap. It is a nightmare to close easily, I am sure you really need 3 hands to do it properly!!

Well, I went into town yesturday to do my final comparison of the 2 green Subs that I had seen.
Watch number 2 was in better nick than the first.
The shop manager for watch no. 2 said that there was another one in the safe, untouched apart from when it was made.
Out it came, inside not one, not two but 3 boxes!
To cut along story short I bought it. No hype about it being a limited edition. The only thing that could have been bull was that the pair that they had been sent by Rolex as ordinary stock were the first green Subs that had not been special order for a customer. Any way I am very pleased and hope to look after my investment and enjoy wearing it.
Regarding the green bezel it is a fairly easy job to swop it to a black one if I really wanted to. At the moment I am more than happy with the green.
Here is a link to a site with a fairly good colour representation of the bezel:

http://www.professionalwatches.com/rolex_submariner_50th-thumb.jpg

At the moment I am wearing a Russian fake GMT II with the red/blue bezel. Maybe not as classy as the green Sub but very nice none the less!!

Cheers, PeterT

Soldato
Congratulations.

I wish i was in a position to join you in getting a Sub LV, but if i did, i'd only be able to have one watch, and i'm used to having more like 20. You must post some pics compared to the GMT2

Don
Good post, should have that as a disclaimer in all the 'Spec me a watch' threads! :D

Regarding the watch, I like it, I just think when you get bored of the green face you may not. I think the black would have more lasting appeal.

the bezel insert is easily interchangeable with a black one

Don
Nitefly, I was looking at the Omega Aquaterra as in your pic but with the metal strap
It is a very classy watch apart from the clasp on the strap. It is a nightmare to close easily, I am sure you really need 3 hands to do it properly!!

Well, I went into town yesturday to do my final comparison of the 2 green Subs that I had seen.
Watch number 2 was in better nick than the first.
The shop manager for watch no. 2 said that there was another one in the safe, untouched apart from when it was made.
Out it came, inside not one, not two but 3 boxes!
To cut along story short I bought it.

good choice sir :)

did you get a good price on it if you don't mind me asking ?

Associate
OP
I was happy to pay list for a totally unmolested example fresh from the safe. Also 30 day money back refund if I want to take it back.
I will have to go back with it as the "expert" for resizing did not work on Sunday - not a problem but I cannot get there until after Boxing Day.:(

PeterT

Soldato
I was happy to pay list for a totally unmolested example fresh from the safe. Also 30 day money back refund if I want to take it back.
I will have to go back with it as the "expert" for resizing did not work on Sunday - not a problem but I cannot get there until after Boxing Day.:(

PeterT

Lol. Expert! All you need is a screwdriver (about 1.5mm, not sure of the exact size), and possibly a springbar tool if you need to use the fine adjustments. It's childs play.

Don
Yes, the adjustment is very easy as said , I have done Subs myself, I do put a bit of sellotape over the edges whike doing it though in case the screwdriver slips

I can perfectly understand though that you would probably want to get someone else to do it for you

Full list price is a bit ( not a huge amount ) over the going rate but if you are happy with the deal then that is all that matters :)

Associate
I have no need to impress any body.
Not smoking 20 cigarettes per day for 18 months pays for this watch. I do not smoke.
ALLI, do you make such comments to smokers as they are spending their money on tobacco rather than helping the homeless?
Do you stand outside Thomas Cook travel agents trying to pursuade people to think more wisely about spending £1000s on a holiday that may last a couple of weeks?
If you buy a new car for say £20,000 and then drive it out of the garage forecourt you have instantly lost £3500 which is the VAT. I realise that £20,000 is a lot to pay on a car but it is the point that I am trying to convey.
I bought a CRT TV 2 years ago for £500 as I did not think flat screen technology was advanced enough. The local TV shop offered me £25 for it last week. A loss of £475. What a waste of money.
As I aim to keep this watch for many years the watch will not really go down in value in comparison to many consumer items. If I keep it long enough it will even appreciate. The added bonus is that I have had the pleasure of owning it! Not just a fading tan as in the case of the holiday scenario or the cough or maybe worse after years of smoking.
I think that it is important to live within your means. Have a thought for the 1000s of people who are spending on credit over the festive period. It is the media that encourages them to accumulate vast debt. Many will be still paying for this Christmas next Christmas.

Regards, PeterT

Hey, it's your life. If you don't want people's opinions, don't post on an open forum.

If you feel that spending hundreds of pounds on a watch is justified, then go ahead, buy one. It's not going to tell the time any better than a £1 digital watch off the market. It wasn't a personal attack on you, and I apoligise if you feel like my post was aimed in that way.

People don't smoke to show off, so I can't see how an addiction to nicotine can be put in the same context as someone spending anything up to £4k on jewelery. You're buying it to make you happy - I was just offering some kind of perspective, there are other people who would appreciate 5 minutes of your time, and a bacon sarny and knowing that there are people in the world that do care.

Associate
OP
ALLI, if you read the OP you will see that I was asking opinions about the watch and not about the morals of buying it. I totally agree that it will not tell the time any better than a £10 Casio.
In my experience of working in a secondary school for 26 years one of the reasons for the boys to smoke is to show off and look "hard" or to gain "street cred".
It is unlikely that the people who are addicted to nicotine actually had enough cigarettes forced upon them agaist their will that they eventually became addicted. It is a voluntary past time that a lot of people wish that they had never started on in the first place.
I think that you might have missed the point that I was trying to make in that most consumer items depreciate drastically whereas the Sub might even make money if I keep it long enough.
How can the Big Issue seller that I saw on Saturday afford to drink the can of Lager he had on the floor by his dog or smoke the cigarette that he was holding in his hand?
I would want to know that the money that I donate to any charity is being used in the most appropiate way.
Regards, PeterT

Back
Top Bottom