• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Q6600 Overclocking Thread ***

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Can someone tell me what "VID" is? Cheers.

Edit: Just googled it and found out, apparently its gotta be slightly higher than Vcore, is this right? Going by coretemp, I've got a VID of 1.0v, is this good, bad or indifferent and is it adviseable to raise it slightly (and by how much) if overclocking?
Cheers.

It will be 1.0v only if you have Speedstep enabled. It should jump back up to its stock VID once under load.

Soldato
finally managed to get over 3ghz - horrendous vdroop on the board.
3.15ghz

1.425v in bios and droops to 1.328 when loaded.
ram plus 0.4, pci-e, mch and fsb volatge all plus 0.2
Ram on slack timings for just now - will tighten them up as we go.

Cooled with naked scythe ninja rev B adn Antec 900 case.

Last edited:
Associate
Highest bench/game & superpi 32m stable on 1.25V was 3.4GHZ (boots @ 3.5GHZ but didnt fully test), currently on 3.6GHZ which needed a jump to 1.35V :(
Luckily temps are still under 40C under load so will keep pushing and hopefully post results soon, roll on 4GHZ? :)

Don
Try a Liang Pro. 120.3 black ice rad.

Yate Loon Fans.

Thats all thats in the loop

Infernace is fine, i've checked it 3+ times.
If your temperature is slowly creeping up it means your loop isn't getting rid of heat quickly enough and it will keep increasing until your radiator/fan combo is getting rid of the same amount of heat that your CPU is dumping in the water.

Jokester

Associate
3.690ghz%205hrs+q6600.jpg

So far 5hrs+ prime stable..

Associate
Hi chaps! Just wondering what would be the ideal motherboard to overclock a Q6600, I don’t have loads to spend, so I guess something based around the P35 chipset would be ideal. Anyone have any recommendations?

I ask because I popped my shinny new G0 in my Asus P5N-E tonight and after many ours of farting about found myself stuck at 3ghz. While priming the vcore dips to 1.19volts and amazingly still manages to continue priming until I halted it. I was sort of aware of the issues this board had with overclocking Quads but I thought Id give it a shot and at worst I would end up having to look for a new mb and here I am :)

Im pretty sure I have a good chip as it has a very low VID and is quite a recent stepping. On water running 4 instances of prime after a few hours it only nudges temps up to 30C~

Cheers :)

Associate
Oh no, I’ve used my ASUS board for over 2 years with my E6600 at 3.8ghz and it’s been quite possibly the most reliable setup I’ve had for ages. It just has a real weak 3 phase power design supplying the CPU which seems to cr*p out big time with quads.

Actually been looking at the P5K-E seems very well priced for what you get, so many different P5K boards though. Just not sure what the difference is other than the visuals.
Gigabytes P35 offerings look pretty tempting to.

Back
Top Bottom