Any idea when OCUK will be getting this new IcyBox NAS?

Associate
Forgive my ignorance, I have been looking into getting a NAS after Christmas and think this is the one I will be going for but I have a question (that seem to be relevant to a lot of NAS’s)

Do they not support NTFS? I just want to setup two standard single (recognised as two separate) drives in the Ice Box, so I would map 2 drives from my windows machine is this possilbe and AFAIK I thought FAT32 did not support large file types 4GB+.

Again sorry for my ignorance but basically, can it be setup this as 2 separate drives in the Ice Box NAS and can they be configured to NTFS or other format that can store 4GB+ files?

Associate
Forgive my ignorance, I have been looking into getting a NAS after Christmas and think this is the one I will be going for but I have a question (that seem to be relevant to a lot of NAS’s)

Do they not support NTFS? I just want to setup two standard single (recognised as two separate) drives in the Ice Box, so I would map 2 drives from my windows machine is this possilbe and AFAIK I thought FAT32 did not support large file types 4GB+.

Again sorry for my ignorance but basically, can it be setup this as 2 separate drives in the Ice Box NAS and can they be configured to NTFS or other format that can store 4GB+ files?

Only FAT32, EXT2 and EX3 can be used, both EXT2 and EXT3 support large files. And yes you can map 2 separate drives (use JBOD in the raid setup).

You can also create as many shares as you want and even allocate storage limits if needed.

Associate

A lot of consumer NAS boxes use a stripped down OS based on Linux so they use a compatible file system (have a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_attached_storage )

The box supports only Ext2, Ext3 and Fat32.

Ext2 and 3 support large files (depending on the block size used up to 2TB)

You can set the drives up as JBOD which allows you to use them as two seperate volumes and map them under windows.

HTH

Pipped by mr1000 :)

Last edited:
Associate
It absolutly doesn't matter what filesystem you have on your box. It's only important that it is save, quick and supports large files (over 2GB FAT doesn't). EXT3 is a little bit slower than EXT2 but more save as you already figured out. As the box has a Samba server running you can map the drive in your Windows like a usual NTFS or FAT drive. It is that easy. So there is no need for choosing a Windows compatible format. Never heard about a defrag problem with EXT.

But if you want to access the box without Samba there are Windows driver on http://www.fs-driver.org/ you can install on your Windows Client for reading an EXT formated drive like an NTFS file system. So forget the Windows formats and use a better one ;).

Associate
I have 2 questions before i buy one

1. In the instructions it says that if you have 2 drives in JBOD mode, then only the 1st drive will be able to have access restrictions applied to it, the second one will be open to all. Is this true?

2. How easy is it to recover a NRAID/Spanned volume if a single disk goes down?

The reason i ask is because i would prefer to have 2 drives running in JBOD mode that are totally independant so that when one fails, i wont lose the data on both. With NRAID/Spanned if i lose a single disk then surely i lose the data from both as well, otherwise it would just be a JBOD setup

Associate
I have 2 questions before i buy one

1. In the instructions it says that if you have 2 drives in JBOD mode, then only the 1st drive will be able to have access restrictions applied to it, the second one will be open to all. Is this true?

Unfortunatley this is true, I have since added a second 500gb drive to mine in JBOD mode.

Samba shares can only be created and permissioned on the system disk, the second hard drive is automatically shared out by the server as '\\servername\ide1' & everyone full control.

thanks,
Em Kay

Soldato
Unfortunatley this is true, I have since added a second 500gb drive to mine in JBOD mode.

Samba shares can only be created and permissioned on the system disk, the second hard drive is automatically shared out by the server as '\\servername\ide1' & everyone full control.

thanks,
Em Kay

That's such a shame.

Does any know if you can ssh into these boxes and install bits on them? I'd like to use rsync with this device but would need to install it etc.

Cheers. :)

They do support SSH. Not sure about RSYNC yet but will probably be able to install it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Am I missing something here, it only does RAID1, you need 4 HDDs and RAID5 or why even bother.... what is so great about it?

Back
Top Bottom