why did i wait so long to get an xbox

Caporegime
Last night I was bored so booted up an old pc game while I watched tv. Played some RTS games. Forgot how much I loved them, I'm just off out now to drop my 360's off at a charity shop.

Soldato
But of course you want to be seen making the price of an Xbox360 appear a lot more than it actually is, don't you?

yes, to get the true benfits from any current gen console a HDTV is a must and must be taken into account to some degree as proven many times on these forums with people buying HDTV for their consoles

Caporegime
I priced up a gaming rig a few weeks ago that came to just over a grand. The last time I spent that much on my pc I was looking to upgrade again in 12 months as it was struggling with the latest games. I know someone who recently spent over 1k on a pc and it was struggling with Crysis on day one. I'm not exagerating in the slightest.

My 360 has lasted 2 years so far and will likely last another 2. For £300 that's an absolute bargain - especially as it's easy enough to spend that much on a gfx card alone. The hardware just doesn't last long enough and there are far too few exclusives. Fortunately, the only pc game I want to play runs on my old rig just fine. Gotta love the Source engine.

I agree with that my upgrades used to go like that. Of course I got some many back from selling old parts but in the end I looked at how many great titles there were each year for how much I was spending. It didnt make great reading or gaming. Most of the time I was upgrading for one game and then by the time the next decent game came out I was upgraging again.

I've not touched my pc for 2/3 years now, it still has the 6800gt I paid hundreds for when it came out. Nothing I do non gaming stresses my set up so barring failures I reckon I will still be using this set up in 2 years time.

Games like Age of Empires/C and C generals are the only game type I get the urge to play again on pc.

Caporegime
yes, to get the true benfits from any current gen console a HDTV is a must and must be taken into account to some degree as proven many times on these forums with people buying HDTV for their consoles

To get the true benefits from the latest PC games would you not need two high end cards in SLI and a widescreen monitor? No use playing the lastest games on a 17 inch crt.

Associate
well ive not looked back since getting my elite and a copy of forza 2 and vga lead :)

since then most of my mates have done the same,
i love the way the games auto update, every one has the same hardware online works great and chat is very good,
microsoft got it right id say and it works..

Soldato
Well I find the time constraints of having a PC a bit annoying as of late which is why I prefer gaming on my Xbox. I spend all day infront of a PC, the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is spend longer tweaking to make it playable or look right.

With my xbox, I put the disc in the drive and away I go. It's idiot proof as proved by some of the people on Live! :)

Don
With my xbox, I put the disc in the drive and away I go. It's idiot proof as proved by some of the people on Live! :)

Yeah thats what I prefer, my PC always needed some blooming driver or something to get a game working. I always remember buying a game for the PC and worried all the way home whether it worked!

The weekend was a perfect example, the Mrs' bought Broken Sword, the newest one, for the PC, get home, doesn't work because I didn't have a nVidia card :(

Lucky it cost £5.

Soldato
I priced up a gaming rig a few weeks ago that came to just over a grand. The last time I spent that much on my pc I was looking to upgrade again in 12 months as it was struggling with the latest games. I know someone who recently spent over 1k on a pc and it was struggling with Crysis on day one. I'm not exagerating in the slightest.
You overspent, it's that simple. I bet you went overkill in one or more areas.

My PC probably cost about £550 tops, and it's actually overkill for pretty much every game out bar Crysis, so it's proof you don't have to spend a grand and it's really that simple. I'm not going to waste my time arguing if you're not going to be objective.

My 360 has lasted 2 years so far and will likely last another 2. For £300 that's an absolute bargain - especially as it's easy enough to spend that much on a gfx card alone. The hardware just doesn't last long enough and there are far too few exclusives. Fortunately, the only pc game I want to play runs on my old rig just fine. Gotta love the Source engine.
It's funny that you mentioned how the PC struggles with Crysis (which is obvious considering it's designed with future hardware in mind, and people don't seem to realise they can turn the settings down to suit their system), because my Xbox 360 struggles with half the games I play on it as well.

Simple games like PGR4 turn into a slideshow if there's plenty of rain, and I recently bought Mass Effect and have been playing it like mad but the constant low framerate (slideshow when fighting against biotics) really annoys me. I won't even mention Halo 3 not being HD. Consoles aren't perfect either.

That said I still love both platforms and this is seriously my last post in this discussion unless you stop exaggerating and discuss the issue properly. Even though I love gaming on my 360 I avoid this forum because I can't stand the anti-PC drivel that gets thrown about like confetti, and it's a shame.

Last edited:
Soldato
Blasphemers. You're all on a computer hardware enthusiast site and forum - how can you all say such things :p

As for me, I like to keep my PC up to date. But since it runs Crysis great, I don't think I will need to upgrade it any time soon. My system cost about £800 btw. Console gaming is not good for shooters and RTS IMO, but both those genres are making more and better appearances on the console.

Soldato
No it doesn't. Unless there's something wrong with your box.
Doubtful or I would've had the problem in more than that game. It's mainly on certain tracks too, and certain areas of said tracks where lots of water build up on the road and there's reflections etc.

Agree on Mass Effect though. Although it wasn't enough for me not to love the game.
I still love the game, the framerate is just horrid.

Soldato
Mass Effect's frame rate isn't common amoung console games. On the whole, everything I play on the 360, PS3 or Wii runs very well. Over the years with pc gaming, the majority of new games i've purchased have suffered from an inconsistent frame rate.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I like having the best of both worlds :)
Get to enjoy playing various games on the 360, still get the option to load up FM2008 on the PC and l33t MMORPG number 237. And once in a while the PS2 gets booted up too.

Permabanned
But in 6months time the 360 wont be old hardware and require a new Graphics card and more ram to run its games smoothly...

Also its an excuse to buy a new TV :D

8800GTX, over a year old and still the second best out, only second to the overclocked version ( Ultra).

Also why would you need more ram? I doubt anyone is gonna have to upgrade their ram for a good 2 years, I doubt I'll be needing more than 4GB and ram is cheap as chips anyway.
Over the years with pc gaming, the majority of new games i've purchased have suffered from an inconsistent frame rate.

Don't run settings your PC isn't up the job at running then? Common sense really.

Back
Top Bottom