Micheal Palin around the world in 80 days

Associate
This a real Christmas treat and although filmed less than 20 years the world seems to be a much more innocent place.

Got to be the best travel doc ever

Associate
OP
My point was how much the world has changed in the 19 years since this was filmed and also what a good travel documentary this was. He was traveling through the Middle East and there was no mention of terrorism and I very much doubt he would be granted permission to travel across Saudi Arabia now.

Associate
My point was how much the world has changed in the 19 years since this was filmed and also what a good travel documentary this was. He was traveling through the Middle East and there was no mention of terrorism and I very much doubt he would be granted permission to travel across Saudi Arabia now.

The world has changed, for the worse.

Yes thanks :)

Just wondering what the point of your thread was :) I didnt understand the question/message/point?

Seemed clear to me, if you don't like a thread why bother to spend the time responding?

Soldato
This a real Christmas treat and although filmed less than 20 years the world seems to be a much more innocent place.

Got to be the best travel doc ever

Yeah, one of my favorite shows ever - I remember watching it the first time when I was quite young and being absolutely gutted when it finished....I almost felt like I had been there with him the whole way.

Man of Honour

Yea, it was much better back then. No terrorism in the middle east...

...we just had bombings in our country instead. Yea, it was loads better then.

Infact wasn't Iraq declaring war on most of its neighbours around that time?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not seen all the series, the book is great though. I don't think the world has changed massively since then. Sailing to India on the dhow was a highlight, sailing for six days on a small rudimentary craft with no toilet! It's all inspiring, there wasn't a dull moment for me.

Back
Top Bottom