PS3 -> HDTV

Soldato
Hi there,

What is the best way to connect a PS3 to an HDTV.

I have HDMI and component input.

Will a standard HDMI cable suffice, or do i need to get a special one?

Thanks.

Associate
It actually all depends on your TV. Generally HDMI should be best, but an awful lot of TV's give a better (subjective) picture via component......so best to try if you can borrow the leads.

However, worth bearing in mind that DVD upscaling will only be possible on HDMI, which is a big thing for me as it's all I use my PS3 for.

Soldato
It actually all depends on your TV. Generally HDMI should be best, but an awful lot of TV's give a better (subjective) picture via component......so best to try if you can borrow the leads.

However, worth bearing in mind that DVD upscaling will only be possible on HDMI, which is a big thing for me as it's all I use my PS3 for.

+1

Man of Honour
A standard one will be ok; just don't get a crappy £5 one. I guess you should get Sony's official version
First you say a standard one, then not a crappy £5 one, then Sony's official verson.

What're the differences between them?

If you can tell the difference between a £5 one and an £80 one, apart from the marketing and appearance, please let the internet know :D

Permabanned
Will this upscaling work with a HDMI (PS3) -> DVI (LCD) work? As opposed to HDMI -> HDMI.

I believe so, providing you are using a HDMI-DVI adapter type thing it will already be set to HDMI on the PS3 so upscaling should work fine, you'll just need a seperate cable for sound which I'm sure you already know.

Caporegime
Huh ?

It's a digital cable, any cable will be fine for under 5-10 metre.
Anything that states otherwise on packaging is marketing bs.

to an extent

there is improvements to be made in digital cables. My mate got a cheap HDMI cable and it had problems handshaking when the PS3 was turned on. It took a good 4/5 seconds to handshake

mine went in straight away without any snow. So there was a very obvious (and repeatable - this happened every time) difference. And sure enough, he bought the same one as me, and the snow vanished.

having said that, mine was £10 so not exactly expensive :D

rule of thumb with HDMI leads, is not to buy the cheapest possible, but then dont pay more than £15 for 1.

Back
Top Bottom