That's the NCB out the window!

Caporegime
That's the NCB out the window!!

Bugger :p

Was coming upto a big roundabout in Chelmsford and there was an A4 infront of me, was at normal stopping distance.

Looked to the right to see the roundabout was completely clear, looked back infront to see the A4 had stopped for what ever reason about 10 - 15ft from the line to enter the roundabout, I hit the brakes, ABS kicks in and go into the back of him at about 10mph at a guess?

It pushed the A4 forward, and he was still about 5 - 8ft from the line.

Got out, asked the guy if he was ok and exchanged details, looked at his car and from first impressions it looked as if the plastic bit on the bumper had been pushed out of place.

I said to the guy that if there isn't any medical issues involved can he just send me the bill as I want to keep my no claims and there aren't any witnesses and I'm going to get royally shafted as I went into the back of him! and sod's law that it is, he tells me it's a company car so has to go through the insurance.

Bleh...

I'm fine, he was rubbing his neck and so was his passenger, bit I didn't hit them that hard so they should be ok in a couple of days max. Looking at my car, the front bumper has lost paint (omg) where it was pushed in and has come back out, passenger side headlight needs realigning and so does the indicator but both working fine still.

Bah humbug lol. Maybe one day I'll get a 2nd ncb eh? :p

EDIT: What's annoying is the SOLE reason I went to Chelmsford was to go to a competitor to pick up a firewire cable. This £7.99 cable has turned out to be what seems a slightly bigger bill!

Last edited:
Soldato
I almost did the same as you in the first year driving - as a rule of thumb i do not even contemplate going now till i have seen the car in front of me go. Hard luck :(

Caporegime
OP
I almost did the same as you in the first year driving - as a rule of thumb i do not even contemplate going now till i have seen the car in front of me go. Hard luck :(

Normally I'm like this, it's just where the roundabout was completely dead I can't think of a reason for this guy to stop.

What's annoying is this my 2nd accident in my 2nd year of driving :p last accident was on November 6th :p

EDIT: Not trying to make excuses but if the guy had stopped by the line of the roundabout like everyone else does, I probably would've been able to stop in time.

Man of Honour
I've nearly done this several times as well. Some people seem to only look 1 metre in front of the bonnet and stop at every roundabout or junction, when it is clear.

Permabanned
Sloppy driving you should never expect the person in front of you to carry on. Someone plowed into the back of a mate whilst riding his bike.

Soldato
I always keep watching the car in front before worrying about getting out onto the roundabout for this very reason.

Soldato
I always keep watching the car in front before worrying about getting out onto the roundabout for this very reason.

Aye never put trust in assumptions on the road, drivers these days do anything they want. For all we know maybe he saw you not looking and did it to claim?

You just came up unlucky, did you not have ncb protection? I think its an extra 100-200 quid but its worth it!

Soldato
Doh, sorry to hear that J. I've done it myself. You feel like a right plonker!

"Why the hell didn't I double check!?!?!"

I was looking right and went straight into the back of a Corsa C at about 10mph. Had just lifted the clutch ready to go, lol.

The bumper on the 220 was caved in... looked a right mess. The Corsa had no damage at all. The guy was really sorted about it and when I asked if he wanted my details, he just said "don't worry about it, there's no damage".

I quickly made my exit before he tried to open the boot :p :o

Hope it doesn't sting you too much bud.

Caporegime
OP
Doh, sorry to hear that J. I've done it myself. You feel like a right plonker!

I didn't really, since my major one which I really did feel like an idiot I've been in the car during 2 accidents so I wasn't even shocked at this one, just thought meh, could have been worse. The other guy was shaking and stuttering with his words though.

That sucks about the 220, did it cost much to get it sorted?

Hope it doesn't sting you too much bud.

Indeed, the insurance will cover it, still annoying though lol. :)

Soldato
I'm fine, he was rubbing his neck and so was his passenger, bit I didn't hit them that hard so they should be ok in a couple of days max.

I've done it myself and been done to (rear collision) and if your not expecting it it can be painful where as if you expect it (well see it) you tense up etc so it could be sore for them and not you

Then again they might just want to rinse you

Soldato
Although it's Phates fault and damned bad luck, it really irritates me when a roundabout is completely empty and the person in front still insists on coming almost to a complete halt. Means I have to do the same, when with a little forward thinking, we could all have been on our way much quicker. It also ruins my attempts to keep up momentum and save fuel.

Hard luck Phate, but it could have been worse. Count your lucky stars it was only a shunt and no one was hurt.

Soldato
I see this happen all the time, people are always looking on to the roundabout instead of making sure the road ahead is clear.

Its very silly to be honest. Why see whats coming when you cant go anywhere until the car in front has gone?

Back
Top Bottom