Best C++ Book?

Soldato
Hi all

I am familar with the principals of programming (I use VB .Net, ASP, PHP, Javascript etc...) but would like to start looking at C++.

Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide to C++?

Thanks

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Hi all

I am familar with the principals of programming (I use VB .Net, ASP, PHP, Javascript etc...) but would like to start looking at C++.

Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide to C++?

Thanks

Have you ever done any object oriented programming, or know any object oriented theory? If not an object oriented theory book with the examples in C++ may be advantageous. . .

Unfortunately I can't recommend any though as I don't program C++!

Edit:
Although here is a free one that I know of, dunno how good it is though:
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

Associate
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't VB .Net is an OOP?!

Yes it is, but taking into account the other programming languages that you have listed, I found it possible that you may have used VB.NET in order to write semi-procedural (or chose it even because you thought it would be like vb6 if you had used it?).

If I asked you what classes and objects were, what inheritance does, and how polymorphism works, would you be able to answer, or would such a question lose you?

It's possible to bodge together a program in an OO language and not really know what is going on or how to properly architect software in an OO manner. My question was really only to help ascertain whether or not you needed a book that included OO theory as well as C++ issues. i.e. a book that did a lot of OO theory would likely annoy someone who just wanted to know "how is this done in C++, what are the pitfalls here, why don't you do this, can I do that, etc".

Does that make more sense now?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Based on the types of languages you say you have used so far then I think you would be best to spend some time with C before tackling C++ (and therefore the K&R book would be best). I'm sure others can suggest good "intro to c++" type books if you plan to dive right in.

I disagree. I work with people who've moved to c++ from C, and some who've come into the language with no prior experience - the latter are *all* better c++ developers. Less baggage, and less bad habits to 'unlearn'.

As for the OP's questions, you cant go wrong with this for the language's ethos and basic syntax:

http://www.amazon.com/C++-Programmi...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199098996&sr=1-2

and this for learning the STL (a must for any serious developer):

http://www.amazon.com/C++-Standard-...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199098996&sr=1-3

Once you get the basics, look at Scott Meye'rs books to take you to the next level.

Associate
I disagree. I work with people who've moved to c++ from C, and some who've come into the language with no prior experience - the latter are *all* better c++ developers. Less baggage, and less bad habits to 'unlearn'.

I think your argument is too simplistic. In reality there are many factors to consider when deciding this. However none of this helps with the OPs question and so it probably isn't worth debating (I suspect the OP will just dive into c++ anyway)!

Last edited:
Associate
Seems like you are focused more on the web development side of languages. Do you want to learn C++ for a specific reason? C# would be my preference to learn for web development language.

Caporegime
It's hard to say without knowing how much you know already; Bjarne's The C++ Programming Language remains a classic, and should be in every programmer's library - but unless your already a highly competent programmer, it's going to be a hard book to learn from.

I'd probably recommend Learn C++ in 21 days as a good starting point for most programmers. If your serious about continuing from there, Effective C++ should be next on your list of purchases.

Associate
Seems like you are focused more on the web development side of languages. Do you want to learn C++ for a specific reason? C# would be my preference to learn for web development language.

I would agree with this as you already have vb.net experience why not go down the C# route. Its completely OOP more than C++ and improves on a lot of the C++ pitfalls. C# syntax is similar to java and C++ so will be prepared if you decided to take the plunge :p

a lot of large developers are making the switch to .NET - Autodesk (Autocad etc) is the one I'm familiar with. Though microsoft are giving incentives for companies to do this :p

Of course C++ is cross platform and gives an efficiency advantage which is suppposed to be important for game design. But I believe C# for linux is being worked on and .Net is getting better all the time.

Back
Top Bottom