Is it time to get a Macbook?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If it's worth anything...

I came from a uber gaming PC, and used the money I had to fund the purchase of my first personal Mac.

I won't lie and say I've never wanted to go and game on a PC again, but the pro's of using the Mac and the fact I got a console far outweighed the PC I had before.. I haven't regretted it, that's what I'm saying :)

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
i have a powerbook G4 , my dad has overtaken my lappy now and loves it , i like the OS of mac its never crashed or let me down, easy to use and apps these days are also designed for mac , firefox , ie , msn etc.. if your not going to be gaming id reccomend getting one.

Associate
I've got a 5 year old 12" powerbook and am considering getting a macbook very soon.
I just don't seem to use my pc at my desk anymore, thats getting turned into a file server :D

Soldato
OP
I've made my decision I'm going to break my PC down and sell it all off and get a Macbook (white) 13" screen :D

I have an old Dell GX280 at work I can use as I downloading and file server :)

Thanks for the post guys ;)

Soldato
OP
I'd like to but that may form a fair chunk of the funds to purchase the Macbook I think..

I get 12.5% discount at Johnlewis and you get 2 years free warranty too BUT they have Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger which is pants really as I would want Leopard :( may give them a call and see what they can do..

Soldato
OP
Well JL's just said that they would knock £30 off the order for selling it with Tiger?

I purchased Leopard to build my boss's MB the other week and Apple charged him £80 for that? So it's not much of a saving really... I will call Apple direct and see what they have to say...

I want to get into photography and basic design stuff so I think the MB will be the way to go....

Plus I can store it away from my growing son's as they love to break things

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok called Apple and if the unit shipped before the 1st of October 2007 I can do a rebate so I could get the new Leopard media shipped for £5.95 after that date I would have to enter the serial number on their website or send a scanned copy of my receipt to them and they will post me the media :D

Either way I get the latest OS and also 12% discount as my brothers wife works there, added to the fact JL said they would knock £30 off due to an old OS being on a brand new unit the total cost to me would be £588.72 with 2 years warranty :D good deal?

Last edited:
Associate
Are the JL's macbook's not the slightly older model's. I.E. not the Santa Rosa. On their website its the 2.16 ghz version not 2.2 ghz version - would explain why it's tiger. Could be slightly older stock I guess.

EDIT: Slightly confusing on the specs on their website - shows as having intel x3100 graphics - which is the latest version but only 64mb which isn't (should be 144 mb I think).

Just thought I'd mention it - if you can get 14% HE discount direct through Apple you'd be getting a better deal than JL. Think the HE discount comes with 3 years warranty free (not Applecare with phone support though).

Last edited:
Associate
Only the Santa Rosa MacBooks come shipped pre-loaded with leopard I think. Your safest bet is to order direct from apple or go to an apple store.

Edited for spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if it's possible to source a bigger hard drive from somewhere that isn't Apple?

I'm perrenially tempted by Macbook Pro but the hard drives don;t seem big enough to me. If I were to buy one it'd have to last me three years minimum so I'd want a lot of space for accumulating my junk in.

Associate
Does anyone know if it's possible to source a bigger hard drive from somewhere that isn't Apple?

I'm perrenially tempted by Macbook Pro but the hard drives don;t seem big enough to me. If I were to buy one it'd have to last me three years minimum so I'd want a lot of space for accumulating my junk in.

You could invest in a external hard drive this means you can also use time machine to back up your Mac as well.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

MacBook: Yes; Overclockers.

MacBook Pro: Yes; ...it'll void the warranty though (unlike MacBook)

Associate
I have had no problems with the wireless range on my MacBook my router s upstairs and I can use my MacBook down stairs fine and I don't notice any slow downs at all.

Back
Top Bottom