Ubuntu clock under VMWare

Soldato
I would imagine that the vmware tools would do the trick. I know that under windows you can synchronise the clock in a vmware session with the hardware clock. I found this link which should be relevant under pretty much any ubuntu distro.

Dunc

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately VMWare tools only speed up a slow clock, not slow a fast one. For some reason I also can't get pointer integration to work, even after updating to the correct version of the tools and restarting the OS, which is irritating. Linux and I just don't seem to get on.....

Man of Honour
apt-get install ntpdate

Then, schedule a cron job to run once an hour to run ntpdate <server-name>. If you don't have a preferred NTP server then you could use pool.ntp.org, but it's better to use something more local if you can (e.g. I'm not sure if Windows Domain Controllers can provide time service to non-Windows clients).

PS - I think you may be able to use teamocuk.com as an NTP server if you like, but only for as long as that exists (I'm reviewing whether I can justify the time and cost).

Man of Honour
That's true for a slow clock, but it's potential bad news for a fast clock.

If left unchecked, it could eventually get so out of whack that it starts causing workunits to EUE because the client thinks they have passed their deadlines (assuming that actually works with the SMP client now).

You can of course work around this by setting the client to ignore the clock.

Associate
Installing VMWare Tools will also help this problem and improve visualization / rendering, plus many other features we don't often think about.

I found the How-To somwhere on the web but I can't find the link. These instrucitons are from my VMWare build notes. I also install Samba right after installing Linux Headers to allow monitoring of FAH via FaHmon.

--> Get the basic build tools
sudo apt-get install build-essential

--> Check uname
uname -r

--> Install Linux Headers
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'uname -r'

NOTE: In the command above, you may have to replace 'uname -r' with the output of the previous command. Mine was 2.6.20-16-generic. so the command would be: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-'2.6.20-16-generic'

Additionally, my headers were already installed, so there was no update.

[EDIT]
Before you do the next step, you need to go into your VM terminal under VM and Install the Tools. This will put the tool into the Tools into a virtual CD-ROM and allow you to to the next set of instructions. >> VM --> Install VMware Tools
[/EDIT]

--> Change directory to TMP and extract the tools
cd /tmp
tar zxpf /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-5.5.5-56455.tar.gz (Or whatever version that downloaded)
cd vmware-tools-distrib

--> Run the VMWare Tool Install Script
sudo ./vmware-install.pl

NOTE: You may get some lib errors, ignore them. Also, accept the defaults unless your a Guru. When prompted, say yes to install.

--> When the script is finished, run the tools
/usr/bin/vmware-toolbox

When the pop up box opens, select 'synchronise time with host'.

That should prevent the clock problem.

SiriusB: - You may want to add this to your "fantastic !! " SiriusB - SMP Client Guide , as well as adding in Samba to enable monitoring of FAH from a WinDoze Box.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So would someone need to do something like:

apt-get install ntpdate
crontab -e
add this line:
10 * * * * ntpdate pool.ntp.org

then it should update every hour?
Close. Corrected (the minutes is your own choice but I tend to avoid running stuff exactly on the hour). :)

PS - VMWare Tools is useless for us non-GUI types (I run a console-only stripped out Ubuntu install as it takes less RAM, wastes less CPU cycles on an unused GUI, and uses less disk space).

Associate
PS - VMWare Tools is useless for us non-GUI types ....

Very True Mr. Berserker.

Allot of people dont use the CL version's as they aren't Linux Guru's (it's a pretty big step going from WinDoze to Linux to begin with .. for some .. ;) ) ... I'm working on a How-Too, CL version only, for those that are "not" well schooled in the the finer arts of Linux.

If you have any build suggestoins, they'd be more than welcome.

[EDIT]

Looks like installing Xubuntu, using the Alternative Live-CD then selecting "the command-line version" is the easiest answer :cool:

Will be evaluating headless operation & management (No Need for KB, MS, Monitor Etc.).

Of course the Time Sync issue will be easily resolved with Mr. Berserkers recommendation further up the page.

I'm putting it through the paces in VMware now.

[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Soldato
PS - VMWare Tools is useless for us non-GUI types (I run a console-only stripped out Ubuntu install as it takes less RAM, wastes less CPU cycles on an unused GUI, and uses less disk space).

Also on the comandline only version (for a change but didn't think it was SO striped down :D) does this still have the clock problem? and will Y's code below help

OR - You can of course work around this by setting the client to ignore the clock. How :)
only ever done this by mistake on the last install and didn't know how :)

Associate
PS - I used Ubuntu Server. It's as stripped out as it gets and there's no GUI at all - not even for the install.

What was your total disk space used after install? When I installed the Xubuntu command-line version last night, it tooks about 5 minutes max to install all the required files, no GUI, no bells whistels etc. was pretty slick actually. I think, if I rercall it's about 700MB or there about.

Will create another VM and try the server only install and see how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom