• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD dual core driver?

Soldato
OP
So does anyone have a definitive answer to exactly what is required, so far I'm thinking just the optimiser as the driver sounds more like a cool 'n' quiet type of thing? Is it required?

Soldato
You don't NEED the driver, but some apps will have issues without it - http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/setup.zip

You will want the dual core optimiser which can help certain applications - http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe

You may also want to install this XP update as it helps in some situations - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

Finally, open regedit and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager... and there should be a key named Throttle there, if its not then make it by right clicking > New > Key... call it "Throttle" without the quotes. In the throttle key there should be a DWORD called PerfEnablePackageIdle with the value of 1. Again add it if its not there. This will help some apps, but if you have issues just remove it.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
I`ve been looking about net and seeing conflicting advice,like x2 driver is only for cool n quiet operation,and ms patch is not to be installed as well-either or.
First time around i installed amd dual core optmizer and ms patch.
I was beginning to think i had bought a duff x2 3800,as my usual stable cubase was crashing relentlessly even despite a fresh xp install.There was also some weird behavior at times from windows.
HOWEVER its all been fixed by installing amd x2 driver and dual core optimizer despite me disabling cool n quiet as i want an overclock.
Some people are saying not to install ms patch alongside as it leads to blue screens.
Wish amd would give some official direction on this.
Ps has been said you can get away with upgrading single to dual processor without reinstalling xp but i did originally have both correct drivers installed,but problems ensued

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers, I'll start with the optimiser and install other things if I hit issues, thanks guys!
I didn't install anything at first and just booted the PC after installing the dual-core and WinXP just plug'n'played the new CPU . . .

newcpurb1.jpg

I didn't have any problems then I noticed gOOgle earth was running a bit juddery so I installed the dual-core-optimiser and that fixed it :)

Soldato
OP
Installed the optimiser and the driver from the AMD site, so far I haven't had a single problem, clocked it up to 2.9Ghz so far, haven't primed for stability yet but to be honest I 32M superpi, OCCT it and then use it, that's my stability test these days.

However, since installing the optimiser i have the annoying baloon that tells me, new programs have been installed whenever I hit Start, anyone know how to get shut of this, there are no new programs in the start menu?

Soldato
since installing the optimiser i have the annoying baloon that tells me, new programs have been installed whenever I hit Start, anyone know how to get shut of this, there are no new programs in the start menu?
Dunno whats going on there and what thats got to do with installing the AMD patch?

Does this help at all?

sweetloafxy5.jpg

Soldato
Yes some people find they don't actually need to install anything, but installing the Optimizer is usually a good idea.

It's mainly games and CPU intensive apps that will run a bit better with it.

If you want a bit of a technical explanation of what the DCO actually does, have a look at look here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9979824&postcount=10

The driver is indeed, as other people have stated, only really required if you want to run Cool'n'Quiet.

Jon

Associate
i never installed anything, plugged in and restarted pc, it done it all it self.
ive only recently installed the optimiser and it does help.not sure about the others as never installed or had problems saying that i never had problems before jsut installed optimiser as fail safe!!
only thing i cant do is clock my cpu to what everyone else is doing, read many forums and people clocking amd athlon64 x2 4400 to around 2.8 to over 3
i cant seem to get mine without crashing the pc over 2.4
only thing i can think doing it is my graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom