• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mobile Graphics cards

Permabanned
I am after a small laptop that can handle games, not an easy to achieve combo.

The Dell M1330 or the M1530 look very nice, I would like the 13" version but it has a 8400MGS 128mb
Atleast the 15" has a 8600M GT 256mb

Anyone know how well these game?

OR do ATI plan on releasing mobile cards soon?
we know the 9000 series will come out at some point but how long after that are the mobile versions likely to be?

I need to play games at work you see. :D

Soldato
the 8600M should be fine if the laptop only has a low resolution, like 1280 X 1024 or lower. That is, if you're not playing Crysis.
Some of the Dell ones have mobile 8800GTXs (I think they made an SLi variant too, jesus...) but that would be like hauling a suitcase round.

What games in particular?

Permabanned
OP
Would be nice if games using the UT3 engine were playable.

From a litte research the 8600MGT isn't that bad, it would play everything I want fine just a shame they can't squeeze one in the 13" cos the 8400GS is really dire.

Soldato
Even the 15" laptops arent THAT big.
I finished crysis on a lappy with X1700 and 2gig ram. From what i've read the 8600XX should be a better card. I had to turn off all the eye candy and it didnt like the cut scenes but game was definitely playable.

Permabanned
OP
Yes Zepto seem to be the only people able to make a 14" with an 8600GT in, but tbh it looks rather nasty and when spending upto £1000 I would prefer buying something from a company I have heard of.

Just noticed the Dell doesn't have a LED screen or 7200RPM drive.
Sony make a nice one with LED screen but it has a 8600GS

So a Macbook Pro is the best spec slim 15" laptop you can buy. :rolleyes:

Alienware have a 15" comming out but with a 8800GTXM (now that is a real laptop graphics card) but it is about 2"+ thick and as you can imagine not cheap.

Why are Sony and Dell so stupid, I don't wanna buy a mac but it is thinner and higher spec.

Associate
Yes Zepto seem to be the only people able to make a 14" with an 8600GT in, but tbh it looks rather nasty and when spending upto £1000 I would prefer buying something from a company I have heard of.

I have a Zepto 6224W and personally I like the look. It is minimalist without all the tat that is clagged on to most laptops. Also configuring upgrades for memory and cpu are much cheaper than Dell. Had it for three months now, and really like it. The 8600 GT 512MB is pretty good as well. Can also come without OS, so you don't get all the bloat that is normally on pre-installed OS.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah it isn't that bad but I mean Zepto, WTF kind of name is that.

Anyways I am in no urgent need of this laptop., roll on the 9600GT M

Back
Top Bottom