Vista 64bit showing 3Gb of memory?

Associate
Hi ive got Vista Home Premium 64bit loaded, and 4x1gig Ocz 6400 on a Asus P5B deluxe, but in the bios and Vista system properties its showing up as 3gig only? I have the latest bios from Asus. I have tried enabling the Memory Remap Feature in the bios and my system just hangs. Can anyone help?:confused:

Soldato
Hello Yan816, at what point does your system hang?

I would also suggest that you put your system back to stock settings and then enable the memory re-mapping option again. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the fast replies. :eek: I have tried swapping the sticks out and they all appear to be fine and show up on the bios load screen as 4Gb. Windows starts loading, showing a black screen with athe little loading bar at the bottom, and then everything just hangs. If I disable the Memory Remap Feature, everything works fine, but on the system system tab in the control page it shows I have 3007mb of memory? :confused:

I have reset my computer back to stock settings, to see if it was an overcloking problem and have every update from Microsoft installed apart from SP1 beta as I want to wait for the final.

Is there anything else I could try?:(

Soldato
Hello Yan816, sorry I should have been more clear.

Set the North Bridge VCore to 1.25, if you are still experiencing problems then try 1.45. You shouldn't need to up it anymore than that. :)

Associate
OP
Hello Yan816, sorry I should have been more clear.

Set the North Bridge VCore to 1.25, if you are still experiencing problems then try 1.45. You shouldn't need to up it anymore than that. :)

Thanks. I have just tried that and went a little higher, but my system still hangs in the same place. Is there anything else I could try?

Does anyone know what the mermory voltage is supposed to be? I heard that the P5B boards soem times didnt set the correct voltage?:confused:

Associate
OP
Hello Yan816, is it the OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2 that you have?

If it is, try setting the Memory Voltage at 2.0 volts. Have you also manually set the DRAM Frequency and the timings of that, what they should be? :)

Yes that the stuff, I will try setting it all up manually. :)

Funny thing is that after enabling the Remap Feature in the bios my bios boot screen shows 4096Mb and then it hangs loading Windows.:confused: Turn it off and it shows less memory and Windows loads.:confused:

Man of Honour
Have you tried a memory checker. Vista is very sensitive to broken hardware.

There's one that you can boot of a cd so don't need windows. Can't remember what it's called though. Try that if it still doesn't work after you have set the timings.

Associate
does the MB bios register the full 4 gig ? opps should read the OP

I may be wrong but i seem to recall that MB having problems with 4 X 1 Gb

I used to have one and was unable to get the 4 gig registerd

Associate
OP
I have tried setting the memory to PC5300, voltage to 2.00, timings were 5-5-5-15 and the northbridge vcore to 1.25. Everything boots, but when I enable the Memory Remap Feature in the bios it still hangs. :confused:

Soldato
I installed that last night. It still makes no difference.

Hello Yan816, I just went through your original post and you already stated that so I do apologize

I noticed that my memory is set to interleave? Is that correct?

That's fine.

Have you simply tried, removing the CMOS battery and leaving it out for around 1 minute, then pop it back in, boot the system up and configure the BIOS correctly, especially not forgetting to set the memory settings correctly which would be the following:

DRAM Frequency - 800

Memory Voltage - 2.0

NB VCore - 1.25

Memory Remap Feature - Enabled

SPD Timings - DRAM CAS# Latency (4) - DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (4) - DRAM RAS# Precharge (4) and finally DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha (12)

I am sorry for writing all that out since you will probably already know. However, In situations like these, I just simply like to double check. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply Fire Wizard.:) I have just finished trying all that and have everything set as you describe. My system still hangs when Memory Remapping is enabled.:confused:

I have just installed SP1 for Vista 64bit and now I can see 4gb of memory in my system info. Does this mean Vista 64bit will now use all the memory even though my bios bootup screen shows less? Thanks for the help.:)

BTW - My bios is the latest version 1226 if that make any difference.

Soldato
Hello Yan816, if the BIOS isn't picking up all 4GB of RAM then Windows Vista certainly won't be utilization it all. I believe it is only showing 4GB in Windows due to yourself installing Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate. Their have been a couple of issue's on how Windows Vista is reporting memory when Service Pack 1 is installed.

The only logical reason I can think of your system hanging when the Memory Remapping feature is enabled is due to one of your sticks being faulty as AcidHell2 has already suggested.

I would suggest running Memtest with one stick of memory installed in your system at a time. :)

Back
Top Bottom