Server room fire supression

Caporegime
I think the biggest issue with Halon system is the gas is very bad for the Ozone layer, hence usage is limited. In a normal server room equiped with Halon, if the gas comes down you can breath nomrally and walk outhte room and not have to seek medical assistance. The problem is it is highly effective at removing oxygen so in a small room ll oxygen could be depleted, and in a large room and you crawl on th ground then there is little oxygen. But if you walk normal, at head height there should be enough to breath fine. My fire training at Sun shwoed lots of test examples of people walking through servers rooms filled with Halon.

The newer things like FM200 with a very sophisticated release mechanism should put oiut most fires but still allow safe oxygen levels for breathing, even if you are unconscious on the ground.

Associate
Yep, Halon isn't in use anymore as it is an asphyxiate and not safe for use in confined areas. Like all extinguishers though it had a shelf life and all systems that had it in use where to be replaced with an FM200 or Co2 system. The best thing for you to do would be to contact your local Fire Safety team (phone your local Fire Station) who should be able to guide you in the right direction.

agree we had to have or halon removed for the above reasons ( I used to look after IBM mainframes for a large bank ) we used small fixed co2 for the small server rooms and a large co2 system for the main hall 57 tons ( imp not metric)

dry powder is bad if you ever need to get at the data that may have survived, but then you should have off site BU anyway

Associate
Dude, you and i mean YOU cannot hope to get a decent estimate yourself with out professional help.

Its not just the actual gas system to consider its the alarms, sealing the room to be gas tight for the gas to be effective, door locking and timer mechanisms, getting the system commisioned and approved to be used...all adds up.

Get a pro in and get a free quote, much better way to do it mate, honestly!

Capodecina
Permabanned
OP
Dude, you and i mean YOU cannot hope to get a decent estimate yourself with out professional help.

Its not just the actual gas system to consider its the alarms, sealing the room to be gas tight for the gas to be effective, door locking and timer mechanisms, getting the system commisioned and approved to be used...all adds up.

Get a pro in and get a free quote, much better way to do it mate, honestly!

All I was asking for was a rough figure for a typical installation and all that goes with it.

I was expecting anything majorly accurate.

Back
Top Bottom