What Britain Earns

Soldato
Really ? I though loads of people were starting this job so pay was going down :(

Thats what I thought.

On another note, it is possible to earn a lot...not sure about £100k, which sounds a little optimistic to me. However, to earn anywhere near that, you need to be a self employed plumber.

So, after learning the plumbing trade, you will need to risk a lot and invest in your business to earn anywhere enar that amount. Not easy.

Associate
Emergency call out plumbers can earn a fortune and if you're corgi certified you've essentially got a license to print money.

The plumber I used to use for gas testing got 100 quid to test the pipework I'd run for new hob's and ovens (maybe 2 meters of pipework). It took him about... 5 minutes.

He did all the testing for all the kitchen fitters at the MFI store. 20 teams doing a minimum of a kitchen a week each. Money for jam. Lucky git.

Soldato
And do you think a plumber earning 100+ grand would be an easy job where you would have enough time with your family and friends.

Or more to the point, do you think it would be easy to get certified to that level of pay and not be dedicated to your job.

I know a number of plumbers who earn over 50,000. None of them work less than 60 hours a week (sometimes in freezing winter) - they get called at ungodly hours, and many have had to beg to get paid and have had confrontations with numskulls who did their best to say their jobs weren't up to scatch.

Its not an easy job, and is paid accordingly depending on how experienced they are. Someone earning 100,000 in plumbing is a master plumber & it takes a fair while & lots of dedication and commitment to reach that level, same as any profession.

Last edited:
Associate
Lol @ the woman saying that you'd need to earn £25m to be in the top 10%.

Some people are amazingly clueless!

Wonder how much the private equity guy was on. Bet it was many times more than the 500k-1m bracket.

Soldato
I watched the prog. and the majority of plumbers earned less than 30K. This guy was working for a firm that catered for the rich providing emergency and other plumbing services when required.

Associate
I only caught the end of this but wish I saw the rest of it. And for everyone bangin' on about plumbers and their pay, I employ plumbers and even working 45 hours a week, every week of the year only brings them in just over £31k per year. Admitidly they aren't Corgi certified yet I can't see how this would still bring in the extra £70,000 to take them around £100k.

Associate
Interesting sounding programme. I did not watch it. But is everyone here aware that the current national debt is higher than the GDP? (i.e. we owe more as a country than we generate in revenue).

Soldato
Trouble is, you have to work quite hard as a plumber, and personally I dont fancy working with toilets and boilers. People slam office jobs, but I get paid a nice salary to drink coffee and post on ocuk :D

Back
Top Bottom