Saxo VTR - Temping..

Associate
Hey guys. I'm looking to get a cheap car and would love to go for something that has a bit of poke ( small hatch-back ).

Currently driving a leon 1.4 (parents car) Im looking for a car of my own. I have seen a decently priced 1.6 saxo VTR (90 bhp AFAIK, possibly the 100bhp).

ANy opinions on this for a first car on my own policy ?? I have gotten some insurance quotes and they dont seem to bad to my suprise probably due to only having 90BHP.

I know normally for a first car generally people go for 1.4 or below, but the quotes Im getting on a VTR isn't too bad after all. I wont be modifying it, or chaving it up. I just like a clean genuine sample. It was either this or a Pug 306 1.4 or Seat Ibiza 1.4 (1998-2000).

Here is the car, I am in Ireland too by the way so ignore the site. :) I recon it will scrub up well after some clay baring, detailing, waxing etc.. There is not very much VTR's or similar cars in Ireland, its not as easy to get them as it is in the UK.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=871453

Hj

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Any major reliability issues ? ( I know, I know .. Its french ) but there isn't much in this car really to go TOO wrong is there? I might take a trip out during the week see what its like to drive.

Hj

Man of Honour
My other half has a S reg one, 60000 miles. She bought it for £1800 a short while ago, no major issues apart from the CV joint going and a knackered wheel bearing so no bank breakers (both changed by myself saving labour charges). My daily driver is a highly modified Honda Integra DC5 and I quite enjoy driving the Saxo (chuckable, engine pulls nicely though the seating position and pedals were designed with a midget in mind) and that's saying something.

Associate
Great cars with superb handling... although my opinion is slightly biased. :)

They are French so don't be surprised if its developed a few rattles - especially when you're coming from a VAG car. When driving it, check for the usual steering/ suspension knocks, squeaking cv joints and make sure you can engage all the gears without it popping out. Maintenance is a doddle - grab yourself a Haynes manual. The engines are pretty bulletproof as long as they're serviced regularly and not abused from cold etc. Use your initiative: if the owner is a burberry wearing cretin, then chances are the car has been ragged and is one of those you see doing laps of your local town centre.

Modified examples are *ok* as long as stuff like lowering has been done using the correct method. Personally, I'd give priority to a standard car. As for insurance, I think the later VTR (98bhp) is a group higher than the older 90bhp model. However, the tax on the older models is quite a bit higher - although this may or may not bother you.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is that all they are? 90bhp? Could have sworn Ria's (GF) feels far pokier then that even below 4000 rpm! Does have a back box and an induction kit but wouldn't think it'd do that much the Saxo's engine. Agreed about the handling, not a patch on the 'Teg but they are so fun and chuckable it makes up for it and they certainly aren't bad.

Only real bad thing about them is the design of the front suspension, as Ria's CV joint went, I had to replace the driveshaft as well along with a few other bits and bobs due to weak design.

Caporegime
Lets be honest, if it does go bang its going to cost about 50p to fix, its not like second hand parts are hard to come by, if i was in the market for a cheap little car a VTR / VTS would be on my short list.

Soldato
Great little cars.

Yeah, I'm a tad biased with it being my first car that I've had for near enough two years.

They are cheap to run, handle superbly and are pretty reliable. Only replaced the exhaust on mine so far..........got one off ebay for £40.

The pedals etc are something you have to live with. Wide shoes are a bit of an issue (Vans etc) but overall a good little motor.

Average about 38mpg and thats mainly town driving.

I'm a MK2 fan boy. The interior in the mk1 is really really tacky IMO (i'm talking about seat fabric mainly lol)

Permabanned
Makes me lol when people moan about the pedals. I have size 12 feet and wear skater shoes and it took me about 2 minutes to get used to the pedal layout :/

Associate
I Currently own a black Mk2 1999 Dec so still 90bhp engine.

I have owned this for nearly 7 months now and its a great little run around.

However since owning this I have spent over a grand fixing the bugger. Things will always go wrong.

I say get one if you want a run around that has a little bit of pull if you need it.

Soldato
I Currently own a black Mk2 1999 Dec so still 90bhp engine.

I have owned this for nearly 7 months now and its a great little run around.

However since owning this I have spent over a grand fixing the bugger. Things will always go wrong.

Sounds like a sodding awful run around?! Surely a great little run around is car thats cheap and cheerful and costs you precisely naff all apart from fuel etc.

Back
Top Bottom