Stuck with life

Soldato
First year of a-levels I hated. Got DDDB.
Moved sixth forms and loved it for 2 years AAAC.

Got to uni and have a miserable time and feel suicidal. And that's not joke, as I'm typing here I'm ****ed out my head and cutting my arms and wrists.

I'll probably drop out and get a job.

Academic work is not for everyone. If you're unhappy, get a job and see how that goes.
Good luck to you. :)

Soldato
I'm 18 and still at college, last few months now. I'm bored ****less and desperately want to start earning some "proper" cash and stop living on bloody crumbs. :p

Another year out working me thinks then start Uni.

Soldato
I quit college after 3 months. I'd hate to think what I'd be like If I stayed there. I've just setup my own business which is now taking off.

You're your own person, If you hate college that much then don't carry on, you'll just get depressed with it and take it out on everyone around you. If you want to go in the armed forces then go for it, If I had an ambition no one would hold me back trying to achieve it. I can see your parents views of getting you the best education you can, but if its not for you then its not.

Soldato
I think most people feel the same way at this time of year.

I know for a fact i have two exam resists to do in August already simply because I'm a lazy *******. Getting a full time job is tempting but working for peanuts till i retire on a crap pension is about as depressing as having sex with a dead cat.

Associate
if you have a qualification (this can be in absolutely anything) you can go straight into officer training in the army. without you will enlist as private.

a graduate officer will earn at minimum £8k more than a non-graduate officer as a basic salary. also, to become a non-graduate officer you have to of joined as a private and shown leadership skills etc.. to be selected to do officer training.

my friend did his degree in outdoor studies. so basically spent 3 years doing outdoor activities and having a good time with (as i understand) very little work attached.

Associate
I hated A-levels, mainly because a lot of the idiots from my GCSE years carried on to 6th form and still acted like 5 year olds. Also at 6th form we were treated like children. I recieved my first ever detention at the age of 18 for missing a double lecture:rolleyes::p

Saying that I kept on with it and got to Uni and I've never had a better time. If you go to a decent Uni, most of the idiots have been filtered out and the girls you meet, if pretty, will most likely have something in their noggin.

I'm in my third year of my masters and its still good. Saying that, the reason I'm up at this time is to revise for an exam that starts in 4 hours!

Associate
Hey Thorpy!! I Strongly advise you to finish your qualifications, it may seem like a drag and or a wast of time but it will be a lot better than getting stuck in a bad job(s) for ages fishing you had just spent a few weeks more in uni / college whatever. I know you plan to go into the army, but I'm sure you will find yourself progressing more if you are qualified.

Just get thought it!!! Best of luck

Soldato
Started college, had the same feelings as you, left and found a job. Repeat that twice and you've summed up my last 2 years.

I think education is good for those who have a rough idea of what they want as a career but if not, I'd much rather be earning enough to have a car, good clothes and enough money to enjoy myself till that day comes.

for me, having a car and a comfortable lifestyle when I'm 18/19 is something that can't be done when I'm 18/19, education will always be there when I'm a few years older.

Associate
I actually hate college, the whole experience is just dire.

Yea sure my friends are a good laugh but the teachers and the work is just meh :( - To top it off there is no nice birds, the whole campus is a sausage fest.

I have no motivation towards academic studies anymore, what i do find motivation for is working and earning money. Pushing my self physically and mentally to a point that i would like to join the RAF or the ARMY.

I'm basically looking for advice over an internet forum :(

Did anyone find college boring, stop and just work hard in the real world? Join the ARMY?

Any regrets?

Cause im seriously thinking about joining the services because I've been to army training weekends and loved it, yea you get treated like **** but tbh that doesn't bother me.

I can't just sit in a room and study, i want to be out there doing more interesting things.

Fed up :(

I always feel like this after christmas, its probably just lack of sunshine making you depressed. exercise and healthy diet is the best cure imo.

Soldato
have a bannana :p

so you obviously like the outdoors to want to be in the army, yet you want to be somewhere where there are women, well you wont get women in the army so why not try and go into a line or work where you'd be doing outdoor activitys, rock climbing? work at a paintballing place? things like that

all the fun but you dont get ordered around (as much) or have the possibility of being shot

you would probably still need education to get there, but if you find a goal of where you want your education to get you it might give you that extra push you need to get it done - unlesss of course you really want to join the army, then go for it dont let others get in your way, its your life after all

Soldato
Im in the same kinda position. Im doing Media in college/tech and its crap. After college im thinking of joining the police as it seems like a decent job for the work and pay. My dream job is becoming a pilot, but that is a bit far off for now.

Soldato
Everyone always finds college is probably not what they expect after high school. Trick is just to get on with it and get it out of the way and then take the next step to whatever it is you want to do (that requires you to go to college to begin with).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
College for me was a joke. I did I.T and found I knew everything they were teaching, so most of the time I sat around doing nothing. I was tempted many times to quit, but truthfully it was me looking for the easy way out, or so I thought. Without any decent educational foundation finding a job becomes increasingly harder than it already is.

After college I went to university for a year, and hated the course, so I changed to a different uni and course. I found after 4 months I wasn't feeling any different towards things, so I quit.

My issue was with the way things were taught - I'm more of a hands on person. I decided I would try and find a job, but having only a college level qualification I couldn't get anything decent.

I decided to look into the Marines/Army as an option, but after talking to some friends already in the Marines I choose not to. The main reason was I didn't want to have my life dictated and spend long periods of time away from my friends and family.

I spent the next 6 months working in retail with no prospect of a decent job, it was very disheartening. Fortunately for me, I had a friend in IT recruitment, who set me up with an interview. The company was looking for enthusiastic people willing to learn quickly. 3 Interviews later I got a job as an IT consultant.

Honestly, without this lucky break I would probably be stuck in a dead end job for many years, living of poor wages. I now have a brand new house, nice car and plenty of free time to enjoy myself.

I think what I'm trying to say in short, is that even though the Army would seem like a good idea, if it doesn't work out (for a lot of people it doesn't), then you'll have to get some education to get anywhere. Don't quit, stick it out and find a good course at university. The whole experience of university itself is really good. Stay in education as long as possible because once you get a job and bills you'll find it hard to get out of all your commitments.

Associate
As much as i couldn't stand being at college i basically stuck it out to make sure i got the qualifications but i was also working part time and had ema aswell so it wasnt all that bad.

Soldato
ive been at uni since september and am seriously considering leaving, ive got nothing against the people or place i just cant get to grips with it all, i dont enjoy my course and have no motivation to do it. i think the only way i can feel motivated is a job with prospects, money and more money

aswell as not liking my course i'm just too far away from home, i miss the people who matter and despite being here for over 3 months i havent settled in at all

theres so many options, a job and a part time degree or an apprenticeship of sorts... what to do...:(

Associate
I want to do something with my life, not just be another man in the city doing some desk job.

I want to feel like im doing something, actually feel alive.

Think im an adrenaline junkie or something :s
I know exactly what you mean. Those sentiments were a big factor for my opting to head for another career path. I got to 2 years of university and realised I dont want to do this anymore. Now I am applying to the marines (as an officer) and am much more contented.

As others have said however, get your A levels finished so that you can at least apply as an officer. There is slightly better career prospects as an officer and you'll get more responsibility. As much as possible, have a strategy for your career so that you can minimise the risk of having poor skills and being comparatively less employable in the future.

When your struggling to get your a levels done to the best of your ability, constantly remind yourself what its in aid of. In interview with a future employer (e.g. one of the forces), you can say that you stuck it out through something you really didn't enjoy. That will impress and demonstrate a strength of character necessary for forces life.

Soldato
I actually hate college, the whole experience is just dire.

Yea sure my friends are a good laugh but the teachers and the work is just meh :( - To top it off there is no nice birds, the whole campus is a sausage fest.

I have no motivation towards academic studies anymore, what i do find motivation for is working and earning money. Pushing my self physically and mentally to a point that i would like to join the RAF or the ARMY.

I'm basically looking for advice over an internet forum :(

Did anyone find college boring, stop and just work hard in the real world? Join the ARMY?

Any regrets?

Cause im seriously thinking about joining the services because I've been to army training weekends and loved it, yea you get treated like **** but tbh that doesn't bother me.

I can't just sit in a room and study, i want to be out there doing more interesting things.

Fed up :(

I was exaclty the same as you when I was 16. All through comprehensive I was absolutley certain that I wanted to join the forces, either the British Army, Royal Navy or Royal Marines. when it came to the time to apply my parents scuppered my chances to join the Army or Royal Marines as until you are 18 you need parental concent to join, so that left the Royal Navy.

I applied after leaving school and went through the selection process during what would be the summer holidays in 1993. While in school I'd also signed up to do a BTEC National in Electronic Engineering and Computer Tech, which I started after the summer holidays. However I knew for certain this was not what I wanted to do, but seemed like the course I disliked the least.

During the first week of college (which I already wasn't enjoying) I received a phone call from the RN careers office with an invite to go for a chat. When I got there I was told I'd been accepted, and that I was quite lucky as during the early nineties they were making a lot of Naval Personal redundant as part of a large shake up of the role of the Ratings(none commissioned people). Of course I accepted the place in Basic training and was told I started on the 22/11/93.

I spent 6 years in the Royal Navy and went to some amazing places and was paid quite a lot of money (for a teenager) for doing it. For example I spent from November 1996 to May 1997 in the carribean and at the time was on a take home wage of £1200 a month at 19 & 20 years old, and I'm certain that it will be the best 7 months of my life past present or future.

However you will have some not so amazing times, for instance spending a month in the north atlantic during Januray working 6 hours on then 6 off for a month, then having a few days on normal cruising watches then back onto 6 on 6 off for another month. Of course now things are different as you will spend a lot more time on operations and guys in the British Army and RM will have things a lot more difficult than your average Matelot.

I left after 6 years and to be honest I was glad I left, the job was just not enjoyable for me anymore and was glad when my discharge date came round, 22/11/99, 6 years to the day.

Looking back would I have done things differently? tough one. I hated just about every minute of school and pretty much felt the same about college, but if I then now what I know now I would've stuck it out and tried to get into university aswell. when you finish at University at 21 or there about there is still plenty of time to join up and as other have said you will need a degree if you want to join the RN, RM or RAF as an officer, think the Army is just A levels (but with the amount of people applying you will stand a better chance with a degree). Also at 16 years old I did find things I struggled with in basic training that the older guys didn't which I think was pretty much down to maturity.

Do you think you can stick it out at college/uni for another 5 years or so? Are there any other college courses with a more practial focus you would find more interesting? To cut a rather rambling story short there is only you who can answer the question.

Hope this helps out a little.

Permabanned
I know exactly how you feel in regards to the armed forces, I do however recommend finishing college first. It'll set you apart from other recruits and open up the possibility of joining the Royal Marines or at least as an Officer.

They do. It's the difference between being a grunt and an officer.

I know a couple of guys who left school as soon as they could and are now in the Royal Marine Commandos, so I'm not sure how much bearing it has on that side of things.

Definitely counts for becoming an officer though.

Soldato
i dont want to drop out and just sit around doing a dull job, i want to stay in education, but something i enjoy more than god damn computers. sound engineering/that sort of thing is very appealing to me or a general crappy job while doing a part time degree

aswell as just not liking living away from home and hating the course and everything, its finally hit me that id be leaving here with about £20k debt and i hate that thought

Back
Top Bottom