Steering heavy after new steering rack?

Soldato
Just checking but I've had a new steering rack fitted to the 306 (a requirement to pass the MOT)

The steering is now quite stiff and it doesn't return to the center on it's own. I will be getting the tracking checked later to ensure the wheels are pointing where they should be.

Could there be anything else? Does a new steering rack take a little bit of time to wear in and loosen up?

Soldato
OP
Righty well I've fixed the problem. I think it was a combination of two factors

1) I bled the system again as volospian suggested earlier. I jacked the car up and turning the steering wheel to full lock on both sides 20 times with the engine off, and another 20 times with it on to ensure fluid went through. I then topped off the fluid

2) On my car a previous owner saw fit to install a 205 GTI steering wheel and for as long as I can remember the boss at the back has rubbed against the plastic of the dash surround. The guy who owned the car before me reduced this by simply loosening the bolt and having a little play on the wheel. When my mechanic re-centered the wheel on the new rack he did it up tight and it was squeaking like mad when I collected it from him.

I decided to fix it once and for all so I took off the surround and used a dremel to remove the edges where the wheel rubbed. I then refitted it and sure enough no more rubbing and it looks just the same :)

I then took it out for a drive and between one or both of the above it has fixed the issue. The steering is still slightly heavier than the old rack, but my mechanic say racks do tend to get lighter as they age and mine had done 173k miles. More importantly to me was the steering wheel now centers straight away when you let go of it just like it should.

:D

Soldato
Was it a new rack or a reconditioned one? Reconditioned ones are often quite stiff, especially from some "reconditioners" that just wind up the rack pre-load, put some new gaiters on it and dip it in a vat of black paint.

Soldato
OP
It was reconditioned. A new rack is £470 from Peugeot!

To be honest I would have been happy with a whole rack off a later 306 at a scrap yard, but my mechanic didn't seem keen on the idea.

Back
Top Bottom