What does revised custom charges mean?

Permabanned
Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago i ordered a product from the USA which came to a value of $160 then i payed $33 for USPS priority mail international which takes 6-10 days. I have been tracking the order through both USPS and Parcel force's site and finally after all this time, i get the following:

17-01-2008 17:54 International Hub En route to delivery depot
17-01-2008 17:27 International Hub RELEASED WITH REVISED CHARGES
17-01-2008 17:26 International Hub RELEASED WITH CHARGES
15-01-2008 20:16 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES
15-01-2008 20:00 International Hub Arrived in destination country

What does RELEASED WITH REVISED CUSTOM CHARGES mean? How much do you think custom will charge, i hope not a lot, as this was 2 small items in one box, that don't hardly weigh a thing. One cable and 1 CD in a box that measures i don't know something like 30cm by 20cm by 3cm I should have asked the store to send the item as a gift.

Can anyone help me on this please

Much appreciated

Many thanks

Man of Honour
Looks like HMRC have inspected the goods and decided that the value declared is not a fair representation of the true value of the item. What on earth have size and weight got to do with value?!

"Gift" labeling would have made no difference, it raised the duty bar from the usual £18 to £36 (IIRC)

Soldato
Hi Guys,

About 2 weeks ago i ordered a product from the USA which came to a value of $160 then i payed $33 for USPS priority mail international which takes 6-10 days. I have been tracking the order through both USPS and Parcel force's site and finally after all this time, i get the following:

17-01-2008 17:54 International Hub En route to delivery depot
17-01-2008 17:27 International Hub RELEASED WITH REVISED CHARGES
17-01-2008 17:26 International Hub RELEASED WITH CHARGES
15-01-2008 20:16 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES
15-01-2008 20:00 International Hub Arrived in destination country

What does RELEASED WITH REVISED CUSTOM CHARGES mean? How much do you think custom will charge, i hope not a lot, as this was 2 small items in one box, that don't hardly weigh a thing. One cable and 1 CD in a box that measures i don't know something like 30cm by 20cm by 3cm I should have asked the store to send the item as a gift.

Can anyone help me on this please

Much appreciated

Many thanks

Size and weight have no effect on customs charges just the type of item, (for the duty %) and the total value. Putting the item as a "gift" only ups the limit from £18 to £36.

You are probably in for a reasonable sized bill by the time you have customs charges + courier/postal service admin charge for collecting it off you.

edit: beaten by Lopez ... who's probably right about why its "revised" too ...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not only would the shop then be acting in a fraudulent manner but it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference :)

One cable and one CD seems expensive to me! However, if it is available in this country then import tax will be higher anyway.

Nor does weight/size make any difference.

Permabanned
OP
i would have thought the custom charge was revised because the original price they charged was not fair so they lowered it but it sounds like your saying that they have charged more?

Man of Honour
Would have thought. "would have thought" does not make sense.

HMRC are there to enforce the law, compile data and collect revenue. People in the business of revenue protection rarely decide to reduce charges because they don't think they are fair.

Soldato
i would have thought the custom charge was revised because the original price they charged was not fair so they lowered it but it sounds like your saying that they have charged more?

Customs revising a charge downwards? ..... ROTFL

If you do a search in GD you should be able to find some other threads on importing stuff from the US which should contain some example calculations of what you are likely to be stung for ...

Permabanned
If the store you bought it from mis-labelled the item prior to shipping shipping then can't you claim any extra charges incurred back via them?

Permabanned
OP
thanks for the replies guys

I have just tracked the item again and now it has been delivered to the depot, which is about a 45 minutes drive away. I read from internet searches that parcel force don't deliver the item till you have payed the custom charge. I also heard that they write you letter first, or you can call them up and drive to the depot pay by credit card and then collect the item direct.

Others say that they do deliver the unit and you pay them on the door, but then others also say that you pay the charge by phone and then you wait till they deliver.

What should i do?

TIA

Commissario
Parcel Force send a letter, I think they stopped collecting on the door a while back due to a problem with the drivers being mugged for cash etc ;)

I know the last few times i've had any charges handled by PF i've had a letter and had to ring them up (and normally got the package next day).

Soldato
I have a product that i am waiting for from the USA, do i just wait for the custom charges to be sent to me as when i click on the link on my tracking it just says Revised Customs charges raised but with no info.

Parcel.jpg

Commissario
is it normally

22% customs charge and 20% VAT charge..

Erm normally it's (from memory) 20% Vat on the goods if worth over £15 not including postage, assuming the vat rate is the standard one (otherwise it'll be whatever vat rate is applicable), once it's £15.01 they impose the vat on the value of the goods and postage.

Duty is not applicable unless the value of the goods is over something like £140, at which point it the duty rate payable varies massively depending on exactly what it is that is being imported (I think for example the rate on clocks varies depending on type and if it's an antique).

Customs handling fees vary and are dependent on the shipping method, from memory RM and Parcel force charge £8 per package if there are taxes to pay normally, but that can go up to £16 for some PF services, whilst UPS etc charges vary massively (and from about £8 for DHL or £10 for UPS up, often as a percentage of the value or a minimum fee whichever is more).

Not sure where the 22% customs charge came from.

Back
Top Bottom