is it possible to..

Permabanned
Put manual IP address in for Virgin Media? I wanna try change my connection as it keeps crashing on me.. Do they list such a thing? Or am i complete crap

Associate
Your IP address is assigned by one of their DHCP servers. It's just an identifier, an address, it doesn't have any bearing on the performance of your connection.

Basically what happens when your connection "crashes", does your modem go offline? What type of connection are you talking about, cable or ADSL? What type of modem/router do you have?

Permabanned
OP
I have Cable Via Virgin Media. Basically my connection just drops... Cant do anything once it drops. Wait about 5mins then it works. Sorry im not very technical when it comes to Internet/Networks

Associate
What sort of power levels does your cable modem have?

Point your browser at http://192.168.100.1 (if it asks for a username and password use root and root). There will be a section that shows signal leves, important values are downstream power level, upstream power level and signal-to-noise ratio.

Post the values here.

Associate
Try leaving the cable modem switched off for a period of time, for instance overnight. Otherwise use a different network adaptor or change the MAC address of the interface your cable modem is connected to, for instance the WAN port on your router.

Permabanned
OP
Try leaving the cable modem switched off for a period of time, for instance overnight. Otherwise use a different network adaptor or change the MAC address of the interface your cable modem is connected to, for instance the WAN port on your router.

Would that not still give me the same IP address to the modem?

Back
Top Bottom