HDD Question - If you could choose...

Associate
Ok I am in the middle of spec'ing and ordering my new pc.

Question, do I get a Raptor HDD (74gb) for windows and my programs and then install seperate HDD's for other files etc.

Or will I be better off just installing a large HDD (500gb) and partition some of it for windows and program files???

Associate
OP
sorry to re visit this - which raid would I be using RAID 1??

Also if the mobo I have supports it is it ok to use that as a raid controller or is there dedicated that are better??

Also any pointers towards which drives to use???

Cheers :)

Soldato
I believe people were referring to RAID0. However, if you were planning on storing anything of any importance on the 2x500GB RAID array you'd be insane as if one drive fails, you lose the lot. If you did want to RAID0 though, onboard mobo RAID will be fine. Just be warned that if you change your motherboard you might not be able to transport your RAID setup over without rebuilding the array.

Also, regarding the comment about the Raptor - the newer 7200rpm drives do indeed have a higher transfer rate than Raptors, but the Raptors still have a lower seek time.

Soldato
Modern drives are fast enough that multi drive systems are of little benafit to the casual user. A stripped Raid array was far faster years ago but now just doubles your chance of lossing your data. Ive got three systems all with different HDD set ups.
1 1x hdd OS, 1 x hdd progs + page file, 1 x hdd data
2 1 x hdd OS + progs, 1 x hdd page file/date
3 1 hdd with everything on it.

Rig 3 has the fastest date retrival as it has 4 gig Ram and that seems to be the most important figure.

Associate
get 2x 500gbs and raid them will smash a raptor they are old tech now can be beaten easily buy some of the new 7200rpm drives

The only part of the above I agreee with is that they were introduced in PC terms some time ago. IMO, raptors are perfect OS drives.

Having your OS and data of up to 1TB in size in RAID 0 is not ideal, unless I suppose you have backup media of similar size.

There are now a few posts on here from people who have gone from having their OS on a raptor to 2 drives in RAID 0 and state they find the system is now not as responsive.

Back
Top Bottom