What are Equity Derivatives

Associate
I'm trying to find out what Equity Derivatives are. Wikipedia and other websites I've found talk in their own financial jargon. I can't find a detailed explanation which I can fully understand. Can someone help?

Soldato
It is a future. You buy a stock in advance of todays date at an agreed price. Example... Microsoft valued today at 1 USD per share on the 31 March 2008. You do not actually hold the stock, but on value date i.e. the 31 March 2008 you are contracted to purchase the stock. This is where hedge funds/derivative traders make $$$$ with their market knowledge and knowhow. They would predict the price being much higher than 1 USD a share on trade date i.e. the 31 March 2008 so when they come to sell it the price on the 31 March 2008 maybe 2 USD, they would sell it and make 2 USD as opposed to 1 USD.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cool, After more digging it seems there are different types: Swap, Options. Is Equity another type too? If so whats the difference.

Associate
Options basically give you the ability to buy or sell something (usually shares) at a specified time (depends on the type of option e.g. American or European) at a certain price.

Futures are a contract that says I will buy/sell x amount of shares on x date for a certain price.

Main difference is one is an option to trade and the other an obligation

Associate
A derivative is something that derives its value from another product. An equity derivative will derive its value from an equity. Equity is ownership, so shares in a company are equities, because if you own a share, you own part of the company. There are several different types of derivative. There are simple ones (which i think are referred to as "vanilla") and complicated ones (which are referred to as "exotic".) Swaps, options, etc are fairly simple derivatives.

Associate
Yep there are loads of derivatives - at work I deal with fixed income derivatives so basically, instead of pricing with regard to the company performance, we price with respect to interest rates (and FX rates).
Swaps, Options, Swaptions (An option on a swap), FRAs (Forward rate agreements) - there's tonnes of different variations of these, Amortising Swaps (where the notional changes through the swap's tenor) - way to much to explain in a simple way.

You have to grasp the basics of derivatives (mainly this is grasping the fact that you aren't actually buying or selling anything), then how payments are worked out and when they are paid is also important.
Futures (exchange traded) and forwards (OTC - over the counter) are probably the most basic in terms of pricing if you want to learn the basics.
Stay away from interest rate derivatives, they can get very interesting and complex.

Back
Top Bottom