I've rec'd Nokia N95 8Gb

Soldato
Had my N95 8GB nearly a month, love it! :)

Re: MP3 ordering/filenames etc...
How about just using playlists? I mostly listen to compilations/mixes and have never had a prob with it, i guess i'm using .pls or .m3u files (never actually checked and i'm at work - no albums on fone at the mo)

Sat Nav:
After using Tomtom on my 6600 and n70 (external bluetooth GPS) going backwards and using the built in 1 is really a shame, so much so i've dug my 6600 back out and use that instead, shall see what Tomtom v7 brings... *fingers crossed*

Anyone tracked down a decent case yet? I've use krussell cases before but the N95 8GB one on their website doesn't look very good and quite bulky!

Quick tips: To get rid of the annoying flash when the phone swops from screen saver to powersave/standby mode (if you drive you'll have noticed this - the screen lights up with a flash of the backlight then goes off).
Set it to use text as the screensaver (in tools/settings/general/personalisation/themes/power saver) and the text as "."
Another 1, set a delay to the sliding keylock - so when you slide it in to use the camera u have a second or 2 to press a button to stop it locking...

1 last quick thing... Any 'push' email packages that are instant? Have to carry around a damn T-mobile MDA just for this purpose, if i could get push on my N95 i could loose a device... (hell i can use predictive text quicker than the damn keyboard on it anyway!) :D

I've always used nokias (6110->6600->N70->N95) for my personal mobile and wouldn't consider any other make (after having most of them as my 'work' mobile) and i'm more than happy with my N95 8GB! My only gripe is the battery 'dropoff' when you use the camera/backscreen a fair bit... it'll rocket down from *ooh i've lost a bar or 2* to *nothing* in literally minutes! But I would recommend it to anyone! :D

Caporegime
Sat Nav:
After using Tomtom on my 6600 and n70 (external bluetooth GPS) going backwards and using the built in 1 is really a shame, so much so i've dug my 6600 back out and use that instead, shall see what Tomtom v7 brings... *fingers crossed*

Roady, what sat-nav app were you using with the internal GPS?

Caporegime
1 last quick thing... Any 'push' email packages that are instant? Have to carry around a damn T-mobile MDA just for this purpose, if i could get push on my N95 i could loose a device... (hell i can use predictive text quicker than the damn keyboard on it anyway!):D

Use Emoze, excellent 'push' email package that i use with my n95 8gb for my gmail account. Soon as an email comes in, it pushes it to my phone instantly. Free as well.

Associate
you can use a external bluetooth gps with the N95.
so anyone who is concearned about the gps performance should surely just buy a seperate dedicated bt unit?!!

btw, what is the music play like? I am looking at getting an 8GB after 01/02 but the other option is of course the iphone. IS the player easy to navigate and how good is the sound quality? (with decent headphones pluged in of course!)

Associate
Use Emoze, excellent 'push' email package that i use with my n95 8gb for my gmail account. Soon as an email comes in, it pushes it to my phone instantly. Free as well.

Could this be used for my Virgin POP3 email? & if so does it send a copy of the email to my phone and leave the email on the server so I can download it to my pc later?

Associate
btw, what is the music play like? I am looking at getting an 8GB after 01/02 but the other option is of course the iphone. IS the player easy to navigate and how good is the sound quality? (with decent headphones pluged in of course!)

The speakers on the N95 8gb are good. Also through headphones the sound is good. The player is ok to navigate but I doubt it is as good as the iphone interface.

Soldato
Roady, what sat-nav app were you using with the internal GPS?

The NavTeq/Nokia Maps 1 - Menu/Maps

My external bluetooth (£30 'bay jobby about 4 years ago - uses old nokia batteries) adaptor gains its position in about 30 secs as the built in takes a good 10/15 mins... Its more accurate and seems to update quicker (software seems smoother/quicker anyway?!)

But i've got an issue where i have to repair it every time i power it back on and ofcourse its not quite as handy as an integrated GPS :rolleyes:

Theres no telling if they'll update firmware/software for the built in GPS (which would be great!) which is another great option! (yes i occasionally have misguided faith!) :p

The sound/built in speakers on the N95 are great, theres loads of options for effects and changes etc to the sound even if the mp3 player is buggy/slow/very lacking on features... But then again i do throw 300mb files at it! ;)

Associate
Anyone know how to set a web proxy address on the handset for web browsing? Whilst at uni there are certain areas that don't get HSDPA coverage, so I would rather use the wifi. However the uni wireless network requires a proxy server to be specified to access the web.

Anyone know any solutions?

Soldato
Anyone know how to set a web proxy address on the handset for web browsing? Whilst at uni there are certain areas that don't get HSDPA coverage, so I would rather use the wifi. However the uni wireless network requires a proxy server to be specified to access the web.

Anyone know any solutions?

3 unfortunately have a bit of a fenced off internet, Tmobile I think doesnt do this. You can add a proxy in the webbrowser, just find an available proxy that works on google.:)

Associate
3's internet is not all that fenced off if you are on X-Series, however I am in the situation where I need to specify a proxy on the browser (a bit like web proxies on corporate networks or otherwise known as cache servers), so I can access external webpages using the Unis wireless.

On my laptop, I have to put in the cache address, however I can't find anywhere to do this on the phone.

Associate
Just rang Vodafone business and they said £19.99 to unlock my phone. I advised I was going to Spain and wanted to use my Spanish sim. They wouldnt budge.

Associate

Anyone else having problems with Emoze? When I try and send an email from it it just puts it into my outbox with the status "Ready to send" and it just stays there never appearing to send

Associate
3's internet is not all that fenced off if you are on X-Series, however I am in the situation where I need to specify a proxy on the browser (a bit like web proxies on corporate networks or otherwise known as cache servers), so I can access external webpages using the Unis wireless.

On my laptop, I have to put in the cache address, however I can't find anywhere to do this on the phone.

You have to edit the WiFi access point settings:
1. Tools>Settings>Connection>Access Points
2. Edit your WiFi access point by selecting it
3. Options>Advanced Settings
>> here you can set the Proxy server and port.

Associate
Received my phone yesterday on O2, when using the internet what access point do i use i have loads to choose from:

O2 Active
O2 MMS
O2 MobileWeb
O2 Postpay MMS
O2 Postpay MMS(01)
O2 Postpay WAP
O2 Postpay WAP(01)
O2 Video
Wap
Wap(01)

I can see a few are the same thing, im assuming i can just delete them? Can some also explain what each of those are/do?

Back
Top Bottom