Cooling a QX6700

Associate
Hi

I'm pretty shocked by the temps I'm getting from my QX6700 with a Thermalright XP-120 (50c idle with a 120mm fan @ 2.5k rpms), I've done some reading up and I see the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme & the Tuniq Tower 120 offer the best air cooling available, however I am concerned how much better these coolers are to my XP-120, can anyone confirm whether I will get cooler temps of the aformentioned coolers?

My Spec is: -

Silverstone TJ-05 (E-ATX)
ABit IP-35Pro

Thx,
ManC

Associate
50*C idle...ouch. I know these chips are rated at 130 watts but 50*C is quite high. Have you tred re-setting the heat sink? Also after looking at some pics of the xp120 it lokos as if the fan is pushing the hot air back down onto the cpu and mb. This is poor design imo and you need a cooler which pushes air towards the exhaust fan. The TR Ultra Extreme is one of the best, if not the best, air cooling soloution atm. However if you get one the chances are you will have to lap it to get it flat. I have made a thread on how to lap this heatskink and some initial reports on how it changed my temps.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17828336

Hope this helps

Wiz

Associate
OP
Cheers for guide and info re the TR Ultra Extreme, the lapping was a little off putting, the money that heatsink is demanding I would expect to at least have a flat surface and for this reason I have opted for the Tuniq Tower, I am hoping it will offer a marked improvement in temps but if it does'nt I know which heatsink I will be buying next ;)

ManC

Back
Top Bottom