good free anti virus

Suspended
hey, ive been looking through the sticky with the free anti viruses, but have no idea which one is any good, can anyone reccoment one plz?

or is it worth just spending the £15 and ordering the new norton oem?

Associate
Avast gets +1 from me. For personal use, it's free - but they sell it for corporate use.

Don't get Norton - most Symantec products suck (well... the products are usually great when Symantec buy them, but get very sucky after a new release or two...)

Permabanned
Avast.

Norton sucks, I uninstalled it on my parents laptop and wow, it was like a new machine, much quicker to boot up.

I slapped Avast on their laptop too, it's still running speedy.

Associate
AVG let trojans onto my machine so I am not happy with that. I have decided to get the Kaspersky Internet Security (about £11 something at Overclockers) as I can't afford to lose data. I am on my free month trial at the moment until someone picks the thing up from Stoke inn a week or so's time. This is AV, firwall and other tools that install easily and don't get in the way.

Suspended
OP
avast seems to be popular, think i will try that.

i know its a bit off topic, but does anyone think i need a firewall if im using the windows built in one aswell as the one that comes with my router?

Soldato
Ever since the AntiVir thread, I've hardly seen it mentioned. So, I'm popping in to say that it scored higher than both of the above suggestions in a test. (Results can be found in the thread I'm not going to search for)

Soldato
avast seems to be popular, think i will try that.

i know its a bit off topic, but does anyone think i need a firewall if im using the windows built in one aswell as the one that comes with my router?

I used to use Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 **I think** which was free. With Vista I just use the Windows standard one. Seems to be fine.

Soldato
I have to say Avast has been a solid AV in the past. Helped a friend out who had a virus which edited all of his .exe files to add an extra 1k making the file unreadable.

He used Avast!'s standalone removal tool program in safemode and repaired 600+ infected files. Rebooted and worked perfectly.

Soldato
:cool:

Just make sure you rename the notifier that pops up and it's fine.

Low resource use and quick scans, better than AVG and Avast imo. :)

how do i get rid of that annoying popup/

I tryed downloading the premium avast or what ever and it had a virus in it which avira picked up lol.

Back
Top Bottom