• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU prices UK <-> US

Soldato
Hi there,

Is there much difference in CPU and GFX card prices here in the UK and the US.

I'm thinking of a holiday to the US sometime soon. I was thinking of the idea of getting my CPU and GFX card over there.

I understand if something goes faulty, I'm screwed :p

Comments welcome.

Soldato
Hi there,

Is there much difference in CPU and GFX card prices here in the UK and the US.

I'm thinking of a holiday to the US sometime soon. I was thinking of the idea of getting my CPU and GFX card over there.

I understand if something goes faulty, I'm screwed :p

Comments welcome.

Easiest way to check is to look at some US websites.

Associate
Well yes... and no.

Hopefully without breaching OC rules...

Yes - if you can organise an internet purchase.
No - if you walk into one of their big high street chains. You will probably find components about OC rates with the grief involved if you buy a dud.

Be careful - a lot of US States, have hidden VAT type taxes not obvious on US websites. NY, I think is 7.5 %.

Associate
Yes its very regular that USA have cheaper prices even if you add vat on.
Reason for many people call it rip-off tax. Also with new products that don't have much in stock there's an added percentage on.

Associate
If you do decide to buy in the states see what warranty is provided - if you can get a manufacturer who will offer a worldwide warranty you may be o'k.
Not bought myself & have not looked into it but you never know given the world is so small nowadays

Associate
Looking at buying in Canada on hols in 6 weeks. Processors are definately cheaper and lets face it how often do they go wrong now except being fried while overclocking.
Graphics cards are cheaper too but are more likely to go wrong so its a gamble, but everywhere in the states sell Evga cards that have a good warranty straight to them rather than the retailer.

Soldato
Well I have order'd quite a few items from the US to UK, either because I cant find them on a UK e-tailor or even after the $20-$30 postage they are still cheaper

Soldato
I've bought a few things from the US and have saved considerably compared to the prices we pay over here. Admittedly, I've not bought a graphics card... thinking about it, I've mostly bought console games. Saved a fortune though. I'd consider getting a CPU, as you say, they're reliable these days.

Associate
Sales tax only applies to sales made in the state. If I order from a company based in California and have it delivered to my house in Ohio, I will not pay any tax.

Though technically, I seem to recall when I was in California a few years ago, I was meant to declare such out of state purchases on my state tax return and pay sales tax then! Don't think many people did that ... but a couple of years ago California did obtain sales records from some out-of-state tobacco retailers and sent tax-bills to people who'd bought from them!

Associate
Looking at buying in Canada on hols in 6 weeks. Processors are definately cheaper and lets face it how often do they go wrong now except being fried while overclocking.
Graphics cards are cheaper too but are more likely to go wrong so its a gamble, but everywhere in the states sell Evga cards that have a good warranty straight to them rather than the retailer.

I think if you're visiting Canada then you are able to reclaim the VAT (or whatever they call it) when you leave if you keep the relevant receipts and fill in forms.

Associate
I've bought a few things from the US and have saved considerably compared to the prices we pay over here. Admittedly, I've not bought a graphics card... thinking about it, I've mostly bought console games. Saved a fortune though. I'd consider getting a CPU, as you say, they're reliable these days.

Several years ago I bought a Linksys router this way and saved a lot (this was back when these weren't "commodity" items and probably were £100+ in UK!) and it did sterling service until I replaced it with a WRT54GL from OcUK a couple of weeks ago.

The obvious point when buying stuff from US is that if it has a power adapter then it is more than likely that it will be 110V only (whereas most stuff over here is 110/230 autosensing). Wasn't an issue for me as at the time I'd recently spent 3 years over California and thus had several 110->230 transformers I'd used to power my UK stuff over there which were now switched back over to 230->110 mode!

Associate
Also, legally, you have to declare it on coming back into the country, and Customs will charge a certain percentage of it's value as (import?) tax.

Unless you can persuade them you already had it on the way out.....

Associate
take your pc out with you with old parts in, buy the stuff and pop it into your pc and then when customs ask say that you took it with you! ;)

Soldato
Also, legally, you have to declare it on coming back into the country, and Customs will charge a certain percentage of it's value as (import?) tax.

Unless you can persuade them you already had it on the way out.....

You have a limit of £145 coming back from the US. Get stopped with new goods worth more than that and you'll have to pay duty and VAT as applicable to the items. Which is not to say you will get stopped but you don't know until you walk through customs...

The £145 limit is meant to be going up at some point this year.

Associate
I believe the duty is equivalent to VAT on top of the price. Or , get them to mail it to you and mark it as "Gift". to avoid it :)

Anything in post under £18 doesn't get VAT levied + I think there's something like a £7 of duty limit before duty is liable on things posted (though I suspect computer equipment has no duty). As with the "red channel" once you exceed the limit the VAT/duty on the full cost is liable.

I think if something is a "gift" then the VAT limit is doubled to £36 - above that value full VAT is still levied

Also, I think the recipient is now legally responsible for the goods being correctly described ... so if a £200 graphics card is described as being worth £18 then HMRC might not only want the duty but inquire as to the level of your involvement in the "fraud"!

Vir

Vir

Associate
I've ordered some stuff from US to my house in The Netherlands. You'll have to watch out for the customs, I don't know if they will pick you out, but if they do you'll have to pay tax and/or a fine.

I'd get a tray cpu (small package)and send it in the post to you in the UK, mark it as Gift and "broken CPU" with value at 13 $ or something :D :D ;) Should do the trick.

Soldato
If you take goods valued more than £145 through the green channel, and you get caught, you'll be done for smuggling. That will have a far greater penalty than simply taking the red channel and paying your vat+duty.

Whether its any saving to buy in america and then pay the vat/duty when you return to uk, compared to buying from a UK store, I have no clue :p.

Marking items with high value as 'Gift with £36 values' etc is fraud, and will also land you in trouble if you get caught.

If you want to take the risk, and smuggle items into the UK to save a few quid, thats up to you. Dont know what the UK penalty's for fraud or smuggling are, but I dont think I'll forget the video of the thailand customs crushing an smuggled ferrari.

You could probably get a reasonable CPU or graphics card and remain under the £145 green channel level, as long as you dont buy anything else while your out there.

Back
Top Bottom