• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

hdmi or vga

Soldato
OP
Ah yeah, apart from sound ;).

If i got a blu ray drive, would it (probably) mean i couldn't watch blu ray (or maybe other protected content) over vga? I am running xp at the moment, but may go with vista at one point.

Soldato
There is no HDCP issue with VGA. HD resolutions are not reduced over an analogue connection. A DVI connection that's not fully HDCP compliant will have the HD resolution reduced to SD though.

If you can set up a fully HDCP compliant HDMI connection, with sound too (some graphics cards support this), then that would provide the best quality picture and sound. I wish I had done this when I built my htpc. :rolleyes:

Soldato
If you can set up a fully HDCP compliant HDMI connection, with sound too (some graphics cards support this), then that would provide the best quality picture and sound. I wish I had done this when I built my htpc. :rolleyes:

its not exactly worthwhile when sound over hdmi is so limited from pc's right now. just stick with a dvi>hdmi dongle and an spdif/ 6-8 channel analogue setup

Soldato
Go HDMI. It can also do black better my bro tells me.

tosh, they both do the same. tell your brother either his tv doesnt have the best vga input or he doesnt have it set up correctly. you can easily drive the black levels down to the lowest available on the set using vga. the differences come with the uniformity of the colours, the intensity, picture quality with a vga cable which can get noticable worse when using cheaper/longer length cables ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.miller View Post
its not exactly worthwhile when sound over hdmi is so limited from pc's right now. just stick with a dvi>hdmi dongle and an spdif/ 6-8 channel analogue setup
Is that because it can't do more than 2 channels?

something like that. 2 channel pcm. some of them do regular DD/DTS now, dont they? its just not worth the hassle of finding a card that'll do sound and video over hdmi just so you can boast to your mates that your using one cable instead of two:p

you lot stick to your htpc's with hdmi graphics cards. i have an 8800gtx in mine:p

Associate
Here is a little comparison from myself:

42" Plasma 720p (default res 1024 x 768).

1x PC connected via VGA at 1024 x 768
1x XBOX 360 connected via HDMI at 720p (1280 x 720).

I played back a XVID encode on both. The 360 seemed to have much deeper blacks and a better picture quality. The PC looked washed out and seemed more blocky. I haven't tried adjusting anything like you say james.

I would assume matching the exact resolution would provide a better picture for desktop use (hence why I'm using VGA). The desktop is stunning (albeit a small one!). I am going to pick up a cheap 7m HDMI cable and hookup my PC->TV with that and compare. I do have a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drive for the PC hence the reason. I also need a HDCP capable graphics card which I will get with my new build.

Ideally I would get one of these new nForce 7 mobos with hybrid SLI/Power + 9800 GT but there not available till Q2 so a cheap ATI graphics card will have to do for now.

I've noticed HD-DVDs look better on my TV when the 360 is set to 1080i (don't know why 1080p doesn't work as it should). This is probably because the TV is doing a better job at scaling than the 360. It has more picture quality to work with.

Something to note of course - my PC is nVidia while the 360 is ATI.

Soldato
I don't think your 7800GTX wouldn't be able to produce the quality of video playback that a 360 would though. When I switched to the 8800GTS I got a massive improvement in video quality.

The only reason I'm not using HDMI is because my 8800GTS doesn't support HDCP when connected via a DVI to HDMI cable. I've tried both VGA and HDMI 'back to back' and the HDMI does look a little better. There's definitely less 'noise' in the signal but I don't see any difference in colours.

Associate
HDMI is much better than VGA if your monitor can handle it, and use it properly. secpndly , as long as you use a good quality wire.

the general consensus is scart< component<vga<DVI & HD-component <HDMI

Back
Top Bottom