• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

just arrived..my personal review of 3870x2

Caporegime
I thought it did, as the Crossfire is on the board between the 2x cores. :confused:

Forgive me,

I raed in a review that it didn't.:o

Seems it does from TOMS

"However, looking a little closer, the situation isn't the best; to get to this, the manufacturer has used the old technique of pairing two mainstream GPUs on a single card using its existing technology: CrossFire. This design carries many consequences. First and foremost, there are random performance issues; in the rare event when games haven't been profiled or can't take full advantage of the spread computational power, performance is low and often inferior to those of the GeForce 8800 Ultra. Other consequences include a few early bugs related to CrossFire and a lower efficiency (the HD 3870 is only outperformed by 41% on average) resulting in a perfectible performance-power consumption ratio."

AMD Radeon HD 3870 X2
The fastest card today, once again, carries the AMD signature, after a long domination by NVIDIA. Based on two RV670, the HD 3870 X2 suffers, however, in part from its conception and isn't as thrilling as a new chip, like a real R680, would have been.

Pros

The most powerful 3D Card
DirectX 10.1 support and possibility to add another card
UVD Inside (Avivo HD)
Cons

High noise and power consumption at peak
Small difference compared to a 8800 Ultra
Few bugs due to internal CrossFire affect performance

Last edited:
Associate
OP
long time since i last posted on this thread.. just ordered the e8400 wolfdale (hoping it arrives tomorrow), clock the hell out of it and see if i get better scores for my benchies.. anyone tried to oc the x2 apart from using overdrive?

Caporegime
mmm :)

SS100183a.jpg

SS100186a.jpg

Caporegime
long time since i last posted on this thread.. just ordered the e8400 wolfdale (hoping it arrives tomorrow), clock the hell out of it and see if i get better scores for my benchies.. anyone tried to oc the x2 apart from using overdrive?

If you wanted better scores for your benchies then you should have got a quad

over a dual core.:p

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Looking good Azza :D. What is your quad clocked too?.

I wish the haters would just stop posting in this thread as they are ruining it.

If I had the choice before buying this GTX it would have easily been the X2. So what it's late and it doesn't whoop the competition. It beats it. It has ALWAYS been close between the two manufacturers. What?? do the haters forget this?. Do they forget that the 7 series had terrible IQ and couldn't even manage to do AA and HDR at the same time coupled with a pitiful failure rate. I might be classed as bad as the sad haters by saying this but it's just a reminder that both companies mess up. (oh yeah FX series too :o) Now can we drop the "I expected more from ATI" cry as it's pitiful, pathetic and we could do without it.

So what, you've got a GTX but this is the X2 thread :confused:. Well done (pat on the back):p.

Soldato
Will be R700 i guess, as thats AMD's next gen, the G100's are not next gen, they are still over 1 year old 8800's, just are now Dx10.1 and have that HD stuff slapped on em (alledgedly), so if thats true, then its going to be Nvidia who are about 2 years behind, as they'll still be churning out 2006 8800's, like they are now still.:p

I just get the feeling the GX2 has fail written all over it, as they've done as they did with the 7950 GX2, slapped 2x cards together (2x PCB's), doesn't sound promising to me, just have to wait and see if they've learned anything from that bodge job. :D

AMD's X2 looks like the right approach imo, 2x cores on the 1x PCB, so it is a single card, not 2x gaffa taped together. :p

That might be because ati's next card the r700 is multi gpu but is nvidia's still single gpu and they going over to multi gpu after that? and if so they got 1 gen more to get 2 or more gpu's on 1 board?.

Soldato
Just seen the price of the OC'd MSI 3870X2. I lol'd. Who in their right mind is gonna fork out about £60 more for a 25Mhz (times 2) overclock, especially when even the memory isn't overclocked??? I mean you can buy 2.6 3870's or 3.1 3850's for that price. Heck you could buy 2 8800gt's and still have £20 ish change.

£280 as OCUK is the max I would pay for the 3870, what the heck are MSI thinking? Give me 900Mhz on the core and a memory overclock to 1900 or 2000 as standard, and then maybe, just maybe it would be worth it.

Hardware vendors are nuts sometimes.

Matthew

Caporegime
Just seen the price of the OC'd MSI 3870X2. I lol'd. Who in their right mind is gonna fork out about £60 more for a 25Mhz (times 2) overclock, especially when even the memory isn't overclocked??? I mean you can buy 2.6 3870's or 3.1 3850's for that price. Heck you could buy 2 8800gt's and still have £20 ish change.

£280 as OCUK is the max I would pay for the 3870, what the heck are MSI thinking? Give me 900Mhz on the core and a memory overclock to 1900 or 2000 as standard, and then maybe, just maybe it would be worth it.

Hardware vendors are nuts sometimes.

Matthew

Thats one area i think ati lag hugely behind nvidia. The vast majority of ati cards come at stock clocks and if any do get overclocked the clock speeds are bumped up tiny amounts. Ati need a vendor that will clock the cards significantly, something like evga bfg or to a lesser extent xfx.

Soldato
my MSI X2 arrived today :)- bought it as it was the cheapest one to go for :)

still not sure whether to open it or not - or keep what I've got - but 90% I'll keep it I think- just waiting to read some more user reviews

Associate
Just installed my recent HD3870X2 (stock clocks), so far just done a quick run with 3dmark06 and got a score of 18,880. This is with a q6600 at 3.6ghz under vista64, I was getting about 14,500 with a 8800gt @ 740/1800/2000 with the same setup. Will do some more benching over weekend...

btw, anyone know where to get a 6 pin to 8 pin converter ? My power supply only has one 8 pin and the motherboard is using that.

Soldato
Just installed my recent HD3870X2 (stock clocks), so far just done a quick run with 3dmark06 and got a score of 18,880. This is with a q6600 at 3.6ghz under vista64, I was getting about 14,500 with a 8800gt @ 740/1800/2000 with the same setup. Will do some more benching over weekend...

btw, anyone know where to get a 6 pin to 8 pin converter ? My power supply only has one 8 pin and the motherboard is using that.

the motherboard uses a different 8 pin connector? well i am sure as my psu has 6 pins connector

Back
Top Bottom