ASP.NET with VB learning reccomendations

Soldato
Hi guys

I figured it's about time I got to grips with ASP.NET (using VB).. as it would be benificial for a few things.

I've got an MSDN version of Visual Studio.NET 2003 installed, have the .NET framwork installed, and have SQL server setup for messing around.

Have been having a look around for guides and figured buying a book would be my best idea so I can work through it.

I don't have a strong programming background, have done bits and bobs and i'm comfortable with SQL... and to an extent classic ASP.. but I'd prefer a book that took me from the start...

All get's a bit confusing with the amount of programming languages.. ASP.NET with VB, with C# I don't know where i'm looking half the time :p

The guides on MSDE website seem to focus on C#.. would prefer a book I guess! (that focuses on VB)

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated... I go back to Uni in september for my final year so whilst i've got some monthes before then to do some learning I figured it would be a good idea.

Thanks

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah, 2003.NET was a version I had on disk, i'll see if they've got any of the more recent versions on MSDN...

That book looks OK, and it's fairly priced.

I'll wait to get a few more reccomendations before I make a decision on which to go for.

Muchos gratias

edit: aye, vs2008 is on msdn :)

Last edited:
Associate
Not a book but it should start you off:
http://www.w3schools.com

As for books, check out range of books by Wrox - ASP.NET 2.0 etc. I had a flick through a copy and it seemed very good :)

Check out their ASP.NET pages - should start you off :)

I'd also consider downloading the FREE Visual Web Developer 2008 program from Microsoft - it's a really superb program in my opinion and it's helped me get to grips with ASP.NET :)

Back
Top Bottom