Quietest/coolest 500GB HDD

Associate
I'm looking at getting one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-005-AK&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=72

To use as a backup system, if my motherbord decides to go on a rampage though all my data.

so what the quietest (speed not important as on sata 1), also coolness would be good as there is no cooling on these. my gut says Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB as i already have one.

also is there any good backup software, or is the stuff in windows vista premium any good, I did not have a chance to look before I had to send my ram off.

Man of Honour
Cooling isn't that important if you're only going to have the caddy turned on when you're taking backups. Don't discount the speed question just because it's SATA150 - there isn't a drive out there which will saturate that, let alone SATA300.

For software then Microsoft's Synctoy is about as good as you'll get for file level backups.

Associate
OP
Cooling isn't that important if you're only going to have the caddy turned on when you're taking backups. Don't discount the speed question just because it's SATA150 - there isn't a drive out there which will saturate that, let alone SATA300.

For software then Microsoft's Synctoy is about as good as you'll get for file level backups.

so is the Barracuda a good choice??

also what about backing up OS/apps/games, is this possible as I'm running a raid 0 If it fails I would like to do a reinstall then synchronise the rest, possible?

Soldato
Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image can make an exact image or 'replica' of your drive(s). So should something fail you can just put it back exactly how it was when the backup was taken. Is that what your looking for ?

Associate
OP
Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image can make an exact image or 'replica' of your drive(s). So should something fail you can just put it back exactly how it was when the backup was taken. Is that what your looking for ?

for my boot array yes, does this mean I have to install the OS (vista) first?? or would it be a good idea to partition the backup drive and stick some linux on there they would allow me to use use that to resurrect my OS??

makes the difference between a 750GB drive and a 500GB

edit: any cheaper version of the ones you mention, it more of a time saving thing, I don't relay mind doing a full reinstall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't need to stick linux on there. True image uses its own boot cd or boot loader inase windows fails to boot. So just install windows if you havent already and install true image and set it to start making backups :)

Associate
OP
Don't need to stick linux on there. True image uses its own boot cd or boot loader inase windows fails to boot. So just install windows if you havent already and install true image and set it to start making backups :)

so if I fails I don't have to install windows again?? or do you install then run true??

EDIT: I take it a good starting point would be to get a 500GB drive, partition it to say 120GB enough to fit 3 OS images on and then leave the rest for general stuff. then i can get a 750GB 1TB when they get a bit cheaper

EDIT: just boot form CD then point it in the direction of my backup drive. grate just what I want.

Last edited:
Associate
so if I fails I don't have to install windows again?? or do you install then run true??

True image allows you to create a bootable flashdrive/floppy drive/cd or DVD amongst things so that when your harddrive crashes, you can insert either of the above and then recover from your backup.

As long as you make the bootable rescue media in trueimage before said crash happens then you will be fine and wouldnt need to reinstall windows again from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom