Spec my dad a new car - £60,000

Caporegime
soon we will be moving house, as soon as we have bought a new house, my dad will be buying a new car, our new home will cost roughly £600,000 so i thought his new car should cost roughly 10% of that but he is wanting to spend 5-10% of that so anywhere between £30,000 to £60,000

my dad is 47 years old, the car he wishes to buy within the next 10 years is the lamborghini murciealago or however you spell it, but he cant afford it just now so hes gonna go for something a bit more sensible until he can

ill give you a brief history of the cars i can remember he has owned

a few vans
citroen zx
volkswagon golf
bmw 3 series
toyota supra 3 litre twin turbo
mercedes c class (current car)
volkswagon golf (current car)

wide varied list there - we currently have the 2 cars from that list which we will be keeping, they are only a few years old

anyway my dad has his heart set on a 4x4 for some reason but has also wanted a convertible for some time as well, but has also shortlisted other cars too, this is the shortlist so far

BMW 3 Series Convertible
BMW 6 Series Convertible
BMW X5
BMW X6 (not released yet)
Mercedes M-Class
Range Rover Sport

My List that i reckon should be added to the shortlist

Audi Q7
TVR Sagaris (i should hopefully own one of these within the next 5 years, however my dad says its a complete no-no)
BMW M3 Saloon (not released yet)
BMW M5
BMW M6
Porsche 4x4 (the cayenne or however you spell it)

right now if you had £60K to spend on a 4x4 or convertible what would you buy, is our shortlist along the right lines? the car must seat 4 people comfortably (this comes into play with convertibles), my dad is getting old and concerned about running costs, insurance etc, he would like a diesel something with decent mileage but grunt when he needs it, thats why he has the X5 as his top seed just now, he also has the bmw 3 series convertible at a close second seed, i however would prefer the Audi Q7 or the bmw 6 series convertible

now putting all these things into perspective

the real shortlist is

BMW X5 (3 Litre Diesel)
BMW 6 Series Convertible 635d Sport 2dr
Audi Q7 4x4 3.0 V6 TDI S Line 5dr
Land Rover Range Rover Sport 4x4 2.7 TDV6 HSE 5dr
Mercedes-Benz M-Class 4x4 ML320 CDI Sport 5dr

Soldato
I'd definately have a merc CLS over any 6 series, so have a look at that too.

EDIT - Never saw the convertible/4x4 part. Any particular reason why it has to be either?

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a brilliant list of german sports cars, then I saw this bit:

the car must seat 4 people comfortably (this comes into play with convertibles), my dad is getting old and concerned about running costs, insurance etc, he would like a diesel

Yawn, carry on ;)

Soldato
my dad is 47 years old, the car he wishes to buy within the next 10 years is the lamborghini murciealago

my dad is getting old and concerned about running costs, insurance etc, he would like a diesel something with decent mileage but grunt when he needs it
Are you talking about the same guy here, because if he is getting old and concerned about running costs then I hardly think a Lamborghini is going to be the car for him!

I think he may have been telling you some porkies :)

Man of Honour
Another legendarily daft thread in Motors.

BMW 3 Series Cabrio or Range Rover - becuase yes, they are very similar, right? It's hard to chose between them isnt it.

Associate
Am i the only one whos father doesnt listen to me when he chooses what car to buy?

"ie spec my dad a car, he wants one of these, i want him to want 1 of these..."

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom