**Official ABIT IP-35 Pro Review/Overclock/Guide Thread**

Associate
I've been strugglin for a while now so I wonder if anyone here can help out.

I have the following spec: -

Abit IP-35 Pro
QX6700
2x 2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2
2x Seagate 120gb hard disks (raid0 - stripped)
Zotac AMP! 8800GT
IDE DVD-ReWriter

With the Intel controller set to RAID and the JMicron controller set to IDE I cannot complete a install of xp pro, I load the drivers using the F6 method and I'm using the latest RAID drivers from Intel's website, after loading the ich8r/ich9r driver off the floppy the installation continues as usual but when it reaches the 'starting windows' section I get a blue screen, see below

DSCN1338.jpg

After sourcing a sata dvd-rewriter and disabling the JMicron controller in the bios I am able to continue the installation which completes successfully, so the question is, is a xp pro installtion possible with a IDE dvd-rewriter with this motherboard?

Hope someone can offer some help...

ManC

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry bit of noob question, but hey I am a noob just ordered this lot for a new home build
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 'Wolfdale' 6MB Cache LGA775 (1333 Mhz)
Abit IP-35PRO P35 Chipset (Socket 775) DDR2 PCI-E Motherboard
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (SKT 775) CPU Cooler
Corsair Twin2X 4GB DDR2 (2x2048MB) XMS2 6400
Samsung SpinPoint T 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s 16MB Cache - OEM
Corsair HX 620w PSU
Asus DRW-2014L1T 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter
And I have an existing MSI Nvidia 8600gt 512MB running Windows Vista 32bit, now it would seem from the posts in this thread that I am going to have to flash the Bios to get an update but do I install Vista first and then make a bootable USB and flash the Bios from Dos or do I flash the Bios before I install anything? not sure how to do that though :(
Also is this spec compatible with the IP 35 Pro or am I going to have problems?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Soldato
Abit ip35 pro uguru problems

ok...question from me.

My comp is prime stable over many hours reports a max of about 50 c..I play crysis no probs etc. and use the computer all the time however when I sometimes take the computer out of standby (thereby the computer has been doing nothing) only happened three times in about 2 months or so but still bothersome uguru reports 83 degrees c for the cpu with nothing running - cores are on idle I checked - nothing freezes but as soon as I get it I reboot and then check the bios straightaway which reports low temperatures(in the 30s) . I then go into windows and it's all fine again.

It's happened three times in about 2 months or so - the cooler is on fully etc as above.

I did do a check on google and some others have found its uguru playing up.

Any users on here experienced the same thing?

Associate
ok...question from me.

... when I sometimes take the computer out of standby (thereby the computer has been doing nothing) only happened three times in about 2 months or so but still bothersome uguru reports 83 degrees c for the cpu with nothing running - cores are on idle I checked - nothing freezes but as soon as I get it I reboot and then check the bios straightaway which reports low temperatures(in the 30s) . I then go into windows and it's all fine again.

Any users on here experienced the same thing?

I have a similar problem. Everything is fine when I do a "proper" restart but if I suspend or go into hibernation I get the opposite problem, reported temperature is 0C. I have to set my minimum fan speed high to make sure that I don't do damage due to low reported temps.

I'm using the latest uGuru and the latest Beta bios, 16B09 afaik. The reported temperatures used to be WAY out of whack at any time but the 16 bios helped with that.

My guess is that it's a uGuru problem but whether it will ever be sorted out or not who knows!

Soldato
version of guru u using, if one that came with disk, try the newer version .
ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/utilities/uguru/
bottom of page :) g/l

Ok thanks for that however I do already have the latest version. Thanks anyway :)

I have a similar problem. Everything is fine when I do a "proper" restart but if I suspend or go into hibernation I get the opposite problem, reported temperature is 0C. I have to set my minimum fan speed high to make sure that I don't do damage due to low reported temps.

I'm using the latest uGuru and the latest Beta bios, 16B09 afaik. The reported temperatures used to be WAY out of whack at any time but the 16 bios helped with that.

My guess is that it's a uGuru problem but whether it will ever be sorted out or not who knows!

Yes - I have noticed a bios - I think it was 14 and said that it sorts out some of the s3 issues of uguru.

q: S3 is the wake up from standby mode isn't it? Which is what the problem is...

q: Where do you get the latest Beta bios ..is it from the Abit site?

Thanks in anticipation for the answers. :)

Soldato
Ok thanks for the links.

Well I've just disabled uguru from startup progs for now. I just came out of standby and it says 82 . I downloaded hwmonitor and that's saying 43 - 35 c over the 4 cores lol therefore uguru in windows is off the scene for now.

I might put on the new bios . Not sure yet.

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Soldato
RonanH Quote - Reported temperature is 0C.I have to set my minimum fan speed high to make sure that I don't do damage due to low reported temps.

I'm running HWMonitor and that seems to give correct temps ; defo run it as soon as you get 0c and see what it says..my two cents anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Everest reports the temperatures fine too. That's why I think it's just a uGuru problem. I also have the uGuru clock from an older motherboard that works with th IP-35 uGuru motherboard header and this also reports 0C so it's not just the windows interface that's borked, it's the actual code in the uGuru chip which gets messed up on resume.

Unfortunately the fan control in the bios seems to take its cue from the uGuru chip and not the actual sensors directly which leads to the possible problems of under speed fans and hot cpu.

I run at a minimum 8V to avoid this problem, not too much of an issue, the fan is very quiet anyhow and my chip temps rarely go over 38-40C under load. Room temp is quite high too at 24-26C so I'm doing quite well on that front.

In fairness it's the only problem I have with the board, otherwise it's great.

Soldato
In fairness it's the only problem I have with the board, otherwise it's great.

Yeah I agree that's the only problem I have too and great otherwise.

btw..running hwmonitor gives much different temps to uguru all the time - uguru right now says 47 c on full load and:

hwmonitor gives : 61c on the first core with full load on it and then 54 c on another core full load too on prime. I guess maybe I didn't spread the gunk properly over all the cores. However under load on prime the first core is still just in the mid 60s so not really bothered - not a lot in it really I guess.

Uguru isn't that good for reliable temperatures then.. I wonder why they don't seem to have it sorted - and also this s3 issue..sigh.

On a lighter note it's good to chat to someone else with same mobo isn't it. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I just discovered something interesting... After resume from hibernation the die temperature sensor "disappears" from the list in everest. The two core temperature readings are still available though, and the readings are consistent. Probably the reason that uGuru stops reporting it ;)

Soldato
I just discovered something interesting... After resume from hibernation the die temperature sensor "disappears" from the list in everest. The two core temperature readings are still available though, and the readings are consistent. Probably the reason that uGuru stops reporting it ;)

Interesting...

I wonder why uguru doesn't just monitor the cores then as everest and hwmonitor do as it has all these issues?

Soldato
I wonder why abit doesn't just monitor the cores then as everest and hwmonitor do as it has all these issues?
I would surmise:
1) it's only relatively recently that we've had multi-core CPUs & CPUs with sensors in the cores as well as on-die.
2) uGuru of course is also used for fan control & CPU temp is 1 of the reference temps that you can use - if you read from the core sensors which 1 of the 5 CPU sensors would you use?
Given that all the cores may not load up equally I think that you would pick the on-die.

It is interesting that the on-die disappeared from Everest though as it suggests that maybe the problem isn't uGuru/Everest but in the CPU.

Soldato
So I have 3 drives in RAID0 and it works fine, if I add another drive for extra space (not in the RAID) I get BSOD when I try and start Vista!

If I plug the drive in when Vista is running it detects the drive and I can use it, when I reboot though I get the blue screen!

Back
Top Bottom