Company Of Heroes - arg!?!

Soldato
I got the gold edition of CoH on friday as I really love Warhammer 40K DoW.

I just can't seem to get into it :confused: I'm not sure what it is, but it seems like it's very slow and boring in comparison :(

The american voices are really annoying aswell "lets get jerry" etc over and over is just annoying. I actually want to play as the germans just to shut them up.

Also I installed the game and updated it, it shows as CoH OF when I start it, but if I click on the OF missions, it says the data is not installed :( :rolleyes:

I was just wandering if anyone knows any way to make the game more interesting or any tips etc as I really think it could be good, I'm just not feeling it atm :(

Soldato
I personally felt (like with 99% of most other games) that the original was superiour to its sequals.

If its possible, just play the original and go through the campaign, learning tips and tricks as you go. Then after you realise how great it is, play through the expansion.

Soldato
OP
I personally felt (like with 99% of most other games) that the original was superiour to its sequals.

If its possible, just play the original and go through the campaign, learning tips and tricks as you go. Then after you realise how great it is, play through the expansion.
I'm playing thru the original atm :)

Just took forever to do the mission where u need to clear the road :( it just seems so slow to get anywhere :(

I think it's pos too realistic for me, I loved DoW for the voices & the game speed, it's such a laugh to play. CoH so far seems really serious and the gameplay is really boring and slow.You just slowly gain territory and just snail over the map, defending random points and forwarding your tanks.
Seem to spend most of the time sitting back and watching the action rather than having to do loads of stuff mid-combat.

I might try skirmish to see if it's ok on multiplayer as the story & campaign is boring me atm :)

Associate
I'm playing thru the original atm :)

Just took forever to do the mission where u need to clear the road :( it just seems so slow to get anywhere :(

I don't think RTS games are your thing then. CoH is probably the fastest-paced RTS I've played (barring World in Conflict). I think your best bet is to stay well away from Supreme Commander (3-4 hours for a basic multiplayer match!)

I might try skirmish to see if it's ok on multiplayer as the story & campaign is boring me atm :)

"Story?" The game has no storyline, since it's a work of fact, not fiction. It's based on the D-Day landings.

Caporegime
just do some skirmish on hard, or expert CPU it gets tough quickly.

some of the missions are tough because the enemy is all dug in and your taking point by point but its obviously not like that in skirmish, as you both have to fight to cap and control the points to begin with!

Soldato
OP
I don't think RTS games are your thing then. CoH is probably the fastest-paced RTS I've played.
I like a lot of RTS games :)

Used to play C&C/C&C RA on wireplay and really love Warcraft3 & WH40K : DoW.

I tried skirmish and it is a lot better as the enemy isn't already dug in with an established base etc.

Soldato
OP
"Story?" The game has no storyline, since it's a work of fact, not fiction. It's based on the D-Day landings.
Soz I thought it was based on the story of what happened at D-Day
dictionary said:
sto·ry
1. a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designed to interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale.

Caporegime
you can buy the Gold version of the game for £18 quid, it includes the expansion pack, and thusly, Britain and Panzer Elite.

If you buy that u only need to install from the Addon pack disc.

If you just buy the first game, you have to download 4.7GB patch (the addon pack) but you cant access the addon factions, but it enables online standard game + addon pack multiplayer/

you should all get online its a good game!

Associate
I played the beta online a lot so when I bought the game -> boring.

Got OH and its so fun :) The orginal campaign is a tad boring but the expansion is a lot better.

Associate
Company of heroes is brilliant, the original mind you not the sequel.

I just think they need to use the engine to do a port for a new mechcommander now because it's perfect for it. What I wouldn't give for mechcommander with full multiplayer :(

Associate
CoH is/was the best RTS evar IMO. The online experience suffers from extremely poor net code (cannot conncect to all players...), and frequent crashes. However once you get into a good, evenly matched game (that doesn't freeze or crash) it is amazing.

The expansion added to these problems, but also added 2 very cool armies. You need to have purchased both CoH, and OF to get all 4 armies. If you have just CoH, then you will dl a 1.8GB (not 4.7GB) patch to play online against PE or Brits. If you have OF, you dont need to dl a huge patch.

Try a 1v1 on Semois or Angoville. Those are the best 1v1 maps IMO.

Associate
Yeah COH is epic fastpaced, thats IF you're constantly microing troops into cover, grenades etc. The netcode issue is kinda understanding, the game works on a Peer to Peer system and thus requires port forwarding or it just wont happen. That said the beta server at the minute it seemingly works abit better netcode wise.

Soldato
OP
I just installed OF and it seems a lot better :)

The germans seem easier to play as, compared to the americans in CoH? not sure why, the action is a bit faster tho. Seems more fun to play rather than being a struggle/chore.

The british voices seem pretty good aswell lol :D

Soldato
You need to have purchased both CoH, and OF to get all 4 armies.
4 armies? Am I missing a secret one somewhere? lol.

Company of Heroes is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. Very realistic and can be quite fast paced if you like to use special abilities and utilise the cover.

Now for them to do a modern warfare one as the sequel :D

Back
Top Bottom