Post your hard drive benchmarks!

Man of Honour
51022205gb2.jpg

4X36 GB Raptors in RAID 0, 32KB strip.

Last edited:
Associate
The drive my new laptop came with:

hdtunebenchmarkhitachihgz7.png

And .. the drive I now have. I am impressed that it is even running cooler whilst being a lot faster on paper AND in reality the laptop seems much snappier too ..

hdtunebenchmarkst920042ma8.png

Associate
2 wd740adfd in raid 0 (32k stripe gave the best results, xp corp 32bit)

raid32.JPG

anyone know if adding 32k cluster will improve performance? i used to use 16k cluster 16k stripe a while back.

cheers

Associate
Heres my new Seagate 7200.11 500GB/32Mb... Firmware upgraded to AD14...

seagate1kb0.jpg

Why's my Burst Rate so slow compared to others? Is it because i'm benching it in Windows XP on my ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe motherboard? :confused:

My old 200Gb Maxtor SATA-1 has a Burst Rate of 120+Mb/s... This is only 88Mb/s... Whats going on... :(

Other readings seem to be on par with other users... Any help appreciated... :)

Soldato
Server I finally finished
3 x 1TB RE2-GP using XFX Revo 3 Port - Raid 3 (long story)

3portLongtestcut.JPG

Suspiciously high.... but repeatable with long or short tests.

Permabanned
Server I finally finished
3 x 1TB RE2-GP using XFX Revo 3 Port - Raid 3 (long story)

3portLongtestcut.JPG

Suspiciously high.... but repeatable with long or short tests.

what motherboard have u got? if i were you i would ditch that XFX controler and try and use an onboard one if u have it will be far faster with those drives, dont know how u are getting that fast a speed as pci is limited to 133mb/s :confused:

Soldato
what motherboard have u got? if i were you i would ditch that XFX controler and try and use an onboard one if u have it will be far faster with those drives, dont know how u are getting that fast a speed as pci is limited to 133mb/s :confused:

It does seem odd but HD Tune doesn't like the array so I haven't tested with that.

It's a A8N-VM CSM/NBP socket 939.

The long story is that I have an opteron 165 that I removed the IHS from and some DDR so was looking for cheap board that supported raid 5 and s939.

The A8N-VM CSM is such a board, the NBP version I now find doesn't have raid 5, only raid 0, 1 and 1+0 even though the etailor I bought it from lists it as having raid 5 and doesn't mention the NBP.

Anyhow, after finding this out yesterday, I used the XP hack to get soft raid 5.... Talk about slow. The drives spend 20 hours 'regenerating' then XP downloaded an update in needed to restart for and I was back to 1% regen!!!

I bought the Revo through MM for a board with no SATA ports and thought I'd give it a try. Talk about plug and play, The whole thing was up and running in a few minutes... the only thing I didn't get to work yet is email notification.

As a Media server, make that a NAS I can remote desktop into, it's plenty fast enough and time wise I could do without rebuilding an XP machine yet again.

The Revo seems fine... so much so I've just ordered a spare.

AD

Associate
and I thought my WDRaptor was quick .. lol

Oh well, 12 months and SSDs maybe cheaper - woo no access time :D

Yep but cost a hell of a lot more.

I have 2 raptors in raid they are ok if I had 4 would be good, but I dont think you'll beat sequential maybe burst. This is quick and much more responsive then any Raptors could be as Scsi rules for multitasking and uses less cpu, but i'm going to drill down to 2 x raid0 with these drives i recon better overall system performance or might get 2 more they are cheap as chips for what they are.

Raptors cost twice as much,

Last edited:
Associate
My new 32Gb IDE Transcend solid state disk.... not quite the transfer rate i was hoping for... and also not the access time i was hoping for.. ah well guess i'll just sell em.

TS32GSSD25-M.jpg

Bought 2 of them but just realised my mb only does raid on the sata ports. If i was to get an IDE raid card what sort of speeds could i expect from 2 of these in raid 0 ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Around twice the read but a slightly longer seek. There's definitely something wrong with that seek time though - should be a tenth of that?

EDIT: Ahhh - sort out that CPU usage - that's what's dragging you down, give the poor thing a chance ;)

Back
Top Bottom