Sins of a solar empire - unusually low hardware requirements

Soldato
If anyones really desperate, I'm happy to buy it for them on my CC if they Bank Transfer me the cash?

My trust rating here, dvdforums and avforums (100% Positive). I'm not gonna nick your moolah.

Just finished a 3hr multiplayer. Was supposed to be 4 player ffa, ended up as 2vs2. Amount of ships I had at the end was nuts! I had 6 lvl5+ Capitals which was awesome! About 80 LRM Frigates, and 80 Light Support Frigates and 20 Siege Frigs.

Small fraction of my fleet in transit :) Needless to say, me and my ally won!

Last edited:
Associate
Just in the middle of a lanned 4v4 on a huge random- about 3 hours in.

It's going epic-ly (how the devil do you spell that?) for me and the lad I started in the same solar system as, we've slaughtered everyone in the system and started branching to the other solar systems. Muaha. My level 9 destroyer is laughably beautiful.

Then someone wanted sleep or something. Pah. Lightweight.

-so I saved it, for another day. Score!

Soldato
Avoid 99 planet 8 player games, 6 bloody hours last night and even then I could have soldiered on but had to surrender after the biggest foe counter attacked me with a MAXED fleet cap! No fair! :D

The funniest point was jumping to the star with an attack fleet of over 200 ships only to see another player fleeing past with more ships than my attack!!! lol

It was fun to end up in the middle of the prey and predator. :)

Prior to that I had fun leaching off of just one other player, aside from that I didn't see much because the system was that big.

Caporegime
OP
Only for digital download and/or import though. Apparently we aren't deemed good enough for a European release. Yes it is good, which makes it all the more worse that we won't be getting it released.:mad:

BECAUSE OF THE EURO PUBLISHERS!!!!

You really need to put that across as it makes it seem like its stardock/ironclad's fault

Soldato
I think it's a cunning ploy, make people download it and cut costs on packaging, printing discs, retailers cut and the logistical requirements.

If thats the case then yes people are downloading it but in the way they want,fools to them selfs for doing it.
For some reason they are making it a LITTLE more difficult for peeps to obtain.

ps. no flames please i said a little more difficult for some.

Last edited:
Suspended
Is it me or is C&C etc a walk in the park compared to this??

Maybe i'm just getting old but this is nicely challanging :D

Yep. But personally i dont have time or get bored of waiting for research to happen, waiting for resources etc.

Its all about a quick frantic Red Alert 2 10 minute game

Soldato
Is it me or is C&C etc a walk in the park compared to this??

Maybe i'm just getting old but this is nicely challanging :D

Yup, a 2v1 Game took me 5 hours last night, helped the night shift go rather nicely :D

But I had these...

SOASE Fleet.jpg

..Was just finishing the last of the pirates :D

Soldato
this kinda reminds me of Conquest Frontier wars. Except in Conquest there are more planets to a solar system and they have wormholes connecting each system. Was an epic game :p

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Actually it's got very little in common with Homeworld, in gameplay terms. It looks very similar from the screenshots, and the control system is similar, but it plays more like civilisation than Homeworld.

I loved HW and HW2, and I really like this game too, but it is very much a different genre.

i've only play 2 tutorials at the moment , but really like the gameplay (as i like civ also) so atm yeah... enjoying it. not had the time to get really in to a game yet

Soldato
Okay, so let's talk strategies :D

I've only been playing as the TEC against the AI, but I found the following things useful:

* Build the cap-ship as soon as possible (ie. first structure after the refinaries). The first cap ship is free, and is enough for you to start expanding into lightly defended unclaimed colonies. You can add a few frigates to the group afterwards, to take on the more heavily defended ones.

* Expand the fleet capacity very cautiously: Early on what you really want is to build up your economy, expanding quickly until you reach other players. Having too large a support will eat into your resources, so only upgrade if you're currently at capacity and your fleet is not sufficient.

* Get the heavy cruiser quickly: One of the first things I do, after I have 2 or 3 colonies, is place down 5 military research structures and research the kodiak heavy cruiser. By using high-end units quickly I can keep my support cap lower, and so keep more of my resources.

* Look for 'choke points', capture them and defend them heavily. Identify the systems which are entrances into your empire, and attempt to minimise the number of these systems you own. Once you have a good choke point, place a lot of point defenses around.

* Point defenses are very good in border systems. They are pretty cheap (2 gauss turrets is a similar cost to a single heavy cruiser), and they don't add to the support cap. Having plenty of point defenses in a system will bog down even a large fleet for long enough for your re-enforcements to arrive from neighbouring sectors.

* Fleets don't need to be in every border sector, just within one or two jumps. With sufficient point defenses one fleet can often service several entrance points, allowing you to use less ships total and attack with greater force every time. Again, the point defenses aren't there to kill the enemy fleet, just to keep them occupied long enough for your forces to jump in and clear up.

* Decide early on which lines you are going to defend, and from which you will attack. A war on two fronts is not desirable. Send pirates to the enemy you are going to attack, and if possible make friends with the other(s) which border you. You can still make hit-and-run attacks into a (non-allied) enemy territory that you are defending against, but focus your colonisation and advancement efforts in one place.

* Don't be afraid of losing fleets. With the support cap resource cost, maintaining a smaller fleet means you can replenish quickly. Often you can send in your fleet against a slightly superior force, and replenish your forces into a neighbouring system (from two or three surrounding systems with frigate facilities). By the time the first fleet becomes heavily out-numbered, you have a new fleet of similar size ready to jump in and finish off the weakened enemy. Although you both lose ships heavily, your smaller fleet allows you to recover more quickly, so in the long-term it is a win.

* Watch enemy fleet movements. The AI likes to keep a single main fleet (at least early on anyway), so if you see that preoccupied with one of your fleets, or an AI fleet, try to send in a few frigates to systems far from it, for hit-and-run attacks. No need to take the planet (or even wipe it out unless you have a shedload of seige frigates handy), just interfere with the enemy economy.

Okay, that's a few things I found useful. I imagine against a human opponent you would want to be a bit more aggressive, or pay the penalty. But still. Anyone else care to share their strategies?

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Nice tips there , ive just started playing this game heavy tonight , though im struggling with getting materials to get anywhere so i must be doing something wrong :p

awesome game i just have to get used to it

Soldato
nice gameplay video

new to this type of game, it looks good and i have wasted a couple of hours on it now but i still dont know what the hell i am doing in te tech tree and the diplomacy bit. I think i am have my ass kicked big time

Last edited:
Soldato
How do I defend an asteroid belt? my choke point was an area with asteroids and meta;/crystal extractors.

However I cannot build anything there. I ended up positioning frigates, cruisers and capitals while I waited for jump drive inhibitors but a lot of things got through, so I ended up building a line of defenses 2 jumps back at 2 planetary systems

Soldato
For The Vasri what i do is get Phase Stabalises as soon as i can and get a stabalised economy. Then work on putting Phase stabalises pretty much everywhere. This means i can go anywhere with my fleet with this tactic it means you can keep 1 very large fleet and defend your teritories effectivly.

Then i just wait and defend till i get the dark armada ability which will call it tons of frigs to each phase gate and use them to run raids :D. Also means i have a backup fleet if my main fleet is destroyed so i can hold down the enemies.

Works quite well only really tested against some friends of mine were all new to Sins.

Back
Top Bottom