ISPs to be ordered to boot illegal downloaders

FTM

FTM

Soldato
just as a matter of interest..is it illegal to watch a streamed movie of copyrighted material if you dont own the original or hold a hard copy on your machine?

I assume its not illegal to just watch something..or do they class the passing of temporary data as copyright breach as well?

Suspended
"users who access pirated material"

and how exactly will they find out who is accessing the pirated material? ban every P2P program, every torrent site, every upload site...

Most of the net would need to be deleted to make it work

Permabanned
just as a matter of interest..is it illegal to watch a streamed movie of copyrighted material if you dont own the original or hold a hard copy on your machine?

I assume its not illegal to just watch something..or do they class the passing of temporary data as copyright breach as well?

Unless the person has a right to broadcast the film, then yes it is.

Soldato
As for the guy who said it's all about price? pull the other one it's got bells on thats just an excuse and as long as there is the possibility of getting something for free rather than paying even a small amount for it the problem will continue sadly it seems to be human nature.

No. Cheaper music sells more. That was proven when Russian MP3 websites with low-cost, un-restricted music became more popular than iTunes. It is definitely about price. As a matter of fact, wasn't the Radiohead albums average price around £4.50? So about 37p per track? So more proof that consumers want to pay half of what iTunes, etc, currently charge.

Of course there are some people who will just go for the free option all of the time, but there are also a lot of people who are willing to pay. Just not that much - hence they look for an alternative or turn to piracy.

Man of Honour
This will be great news for people selling pirated DVDs.

People don't even know if online piracy costs companies anything, let alone billions of pounds a year in the UK alone, or how many people illegally download copyrighted material (only 6 million?). The news report is made up.

I think ISPs might think it will increase their profits by removing most of the bandwidth use.

Man of Honour
This will be great news for people selling pirated DVDs.

Agreed. We just had this discussion in the office. All the proposed change would do is re-introduce the middle man. Instead of Joe Public grabbing whatever they want they would 'get it off a mate'.

Anyone that's a bit net savvy will still be getting their own stuff, and will do so through encrypted tunnelling. The ISPs wouldn't be able to monitor everyone doing that, it'd be far too costly.

Soldato
Indeed, I've always been using encryption, there is no way they're going to investigate & put together all the encrypted data to see if what I upload& download is legal or illegal.
Even if it wasn't encrypted, I hardly ever send a whole file, it's hundreds of random bits usually instead, they wouldn't even be able to piece it together...

If someday p2p and newsgroups become unusable, there are always mates and dvd burners...

Capodecina
Soldato
The problem that needs to be addressed is the price, availability and restrictions currently associated with music and films, but the production companies are too stubborn to accept the fact that their products are now worth less, and would rather force us in to an overpriced market than cater for what consumers demand at a price they are willing to pay."

The production companies know their products are worthless. Everyone does, the industry is in panic. Bands are getting more grateful to any label offering them an advance because it's getting harder for the labels to recoup their money from record sales. EMI sacked a third of its staff. CD aisles are getting smaller. Chains are shutting down.

CDs are priced the way they are for a reason, not because of avarice. And digital sales work well too for labels, though they don't give such a large takeback as CDs. I think it's a great idea putting the onus on the ISPs rather than the users. Enforcing it... well... that's another matter.

Caporegime
Most torrent programs and newgroups already use encryption, so monitoring the content people download is already impossible for isps. As soon as you start using things like Tor or proxies then companies can't even trace the downloads back to you.

Man of Honour
The production companies know their products are worthless. Everyone does, the industry is in panic. Bands are getting more grateful to any label offering them an advance because it's getting harder for the labels to recoup their money from record sales. EMI sacked a third of its staff. CD aisles are getting smaller. Chains are shutting down.

If they'd listened and taken note years ago when they were told that their products were vastly overpriced then they wouldn't have pushed the whole world into finding other ways of getting the products :)

They made a rod for their own back and I have no sympathy.

Soldato
ISP's ban you? Welcome back to the 1980's where your local market/pub has reems of hooky goods.

ISP's try to ban you? Welcome back to the FXP craze where loads of free storage gets hammered for the juicy *.txt files they contain.

Quite simply, who has sent a .jpg to a mate who works in a bank or similar? How much do they spend to try to stop that happening?

It's not supposed to happen, but it's impossible to stop.
I'm not saying piracy is right, just that it will never be stopped.

-- EDIT: What needs to happen is the media companies folks need to move with the times, cheap, digital, and worthwhile, that will at least stem the rot.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
If they'd listened and taken note years ago when they were told that their products were vastly overpriced then they wouldn't have pushed the whole world into finding other ways of getting the products :)

They made a rod for their own back and I have no sympathy.

I suppose asking you to buy some metal CDs from the label is as much use as asking Stephen Hawking to buy a pair of Nike Air Jordans?

Soldato
It still amazes me the number of people that can't see that downloading vast quantities of copyright material is wrong. The general attitude inthis thread seems to be that the government and the ISP's should do nothing and just let the situation continue?

As for the guy who said it's all about price? pull the other one it's got bells on thats just an excuse and as long as there is the possibility of getting something for free rather than paying even a small amount for it the problem will continue sadly it seems to be human nature.

its general attitude of consumer that there needs to be less crap and lower prices, aswell as more online streamed stuff etc.
The industry is what needs to change.
I would prefer paying a few quid to watch something on my PC over the internet than go pay it in the cinema with a bunch of ******* making aload of noise etc. Those piracy adverts cracked me up, pirated dvds are rubbish this rubbish that, someone whispering, popcorn noises, someone gets up infront of camera for a slash, well duh, it was recorded in a cinema?

Behind music downloads I think the biggest problem is now TV episodes, the reasons this is so popular are :
A) We dont see why we have to wait longer than americans for the episodes
B) Not everyone has sky subscriptions etc, its not worth it for 1 or 2 shows
C) We like to watch it when we want(I have nothing to record tv onto, no dvd-recorder, no video-recorder, no sky+)

On-demand is becoming a massive hit, I LOVE it, this is how everything should be.
If they released Prison Break as an online stream, with ads, aswell as had the option to download(with ads) I am fairly sure people would take those and have the ads in them instead of using torrents etc. They would be better quality(direct from source etc) faster download times etc, and atleast by getting the ads you know the company is getting revenue in return for giving such a great service etc.
I see pirating as the right thing to do, it will force the industry to change for the better, I dont like having to pirate, but I dont feel I am given much of a choice a lot of the time.

Soldato
It still amazes me the number of people that can't see that downloading vast quantities of copyright material is wrong. The general attitude inthis thread seems to be that the government and the ISP's should do nothing and just let the situation continue?

TheCrow said:
They only provide a service it is up to us how we use it and the police to enforce it. E.g. Ford have no responsibility to people speeding using there cars, nor do the people who build/maintain the roads that they can speed on.

Yes downloading copyright material is illegal but so is speeding and littering but we don't ask Ford or Walkers to police peoples use of their cars or what they do with empty crisp packets. I don't understand why ISPs are any different, they provide you with a connection to a global network.

This is going to sound very "Daily Mail" but the police have dedicated teams to catch online paedophiles, the ISPs help by handing over logs etc but the investigation is carried out by the police.

Back
Top Bottom