Gervais attacks tax exiles

Suspended
Thats fine for him, he's rich and can afford to pay massive amount of tax.

However for most of us taxes are stupidly high compaired to how much we earn

Soldato
he probably wouldnt act all self righteous about it whilst doing it like bono, think thats the point. Its the rational thing to do, but to preach at same time, well now you're takin the pee :)

I hate gervais, he has a good point though, the thing is... a lot of the super rich can afford to pay such high taxes, the thing is though, make them pay the high taxes and the accountants fiddle it so they do infact pay less than 20% or whatever.

Soldato
He's right about celebs doing charity work to promote themselves, it's lame enough when they go on chatshows (Jonathan Ross) and shamelessly plug their new CD/book/video.
I had no idea he earned so much, i thought the only big things he did was The office and Extras.

Soldato
He's right about celebs doing charity work to promote themselves, it's lame enough when they go on chatshows (Jonathan Ross) and shamelessly plug their new CD/book/video.
I had no idea he earned so much, i thought the only big things he did was The office and Extras.

Hes done 2 Live Stand-up tours, and i think he gets money for the American Office.

He also did 3 series of Podcasts, which you had to pay for (although it was like a quid or something small).

Tbh, i like Ricky, ive been a fan of his since he was doing radio with Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington on XFM and if you ask me that was when he was at his best. I dont understand these attacks saying that hes annoying or "just like his character on the office", ofc he is, hes got the same face and voice and everything cos their the same guy, how you know what hes like off set i dont know.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I meant it's not like the 90% super-tax rate of the 70s.

Still doesn't make it right. I don't think anyone should have to pay 40% of what they earn to the government.

(And I say this as someone who only very rarely dips into the 40% bracket and not at all since I went part time).

Caporegime
OP
Still doesn't make it right. I don't think anyone should have to pay 40% of what they earn to the government.

(And I say this as someone who only very rarely dips into the 40% bracket and not at all since I went part time).

Why not? I've benefited from the UK's schools, the NHS kept me alive as a kid, the state paid for me to go to University. Why should I bugger off abroad and not repay the investment the state made in me as soon as I make a success of myself?

AGD

AGD

Soldato

Most record/film companies will have a part in their contracts saying whoever has made the record/film must do interviews and tours to promote it. To be honest going on a chat show solely to talk about yourself for no reason seems worse and more egotistical to me than just trying to promote a new film.

I do agree though that if they ever do charity work to promote their newest album etc it's just wrong. What I don't like is people like bono going on all the time about africa then avoiding taxes so he keeps all those extra millions and then spending £1000 on sunglasses when that money could have fed probably a thousand people for a day. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the sunglasses but I wouldn't go on about africa the whole time if I did!

Associate
It's only 40% of your earnings above a certain threshold (depending on tax code). It's not 40% on ALL of your earnings.

So for someone like me, I think I pay 0% on earnings up to £5k, 22% on earnings between 5k and 40k and 40% above 40k.

It's still a chuffin' rip off :(

There is still a 10% bracket of 5k to 7k. It's negligible though and being removed when the standard bracket drops to 20%.

Permabanned

Why do you talk like you're lining the government's pockets and you're not getting anything out of it?

Associate
annoys me when people moan about our tax. People want our tax to be as low as the USA but then kick up a fuss when the NHS and other public services do rubbish.

Stop being so ****ing greedy.

Back
Top Bottom