Worst interview ever. By miles!

Associate
I just had the single worst interview of my life. It finished about twenty minutes ago, basically a promotion at my current workplace. A complete system shutdown, utter brain freeze, a biblical display of incompetence on my part for a job I am by all rights over qualified for. I faced questions I would normally breeze through, technical exercises I encounter every day, yet I managed to fail so badly it would have to be quantified in acres. I'll never be able to look the interviewer in the eye again.

Anyone else have any tales of woe from interviews? Possibly to cheer me up with a laugh!

Soldato
On an interview for Southampton Uni several years ago I managed to get a rather grumpy lecturer. We were talking about transistors and being rather nervous I must have mis-pronounced silicon as silicone. He stopped me and in a stearn manner said "No, thats what they put in breast implants." So embarressing...

PK!

Associate
a guy I know when asked the question, how did you prepare for this interview? answered seriously... I put on a suit and had a shave! lol :)

Soldato
So what your saying is that despite being more than capable and deservant of the job on offer, you said next to nothing and couldn't remember anything?!

Was this interview very much impromptu or did you not bother preparing?

Associate
I have been working for the same company for many years...

I am now the head of my department and every promotion I have had has been offered to me rather than me applying for the position.

My interview for the job went:

Hello....

Hello....

Whats you name

Scott

When can you start..

Soon as possible...

I'll see you tomorrow then

Cheers mate!!!

People can only really be judged on their performance while in work. The Pareto principle is always in effect, very shortly you will see the people who are going to be workers and who will be shirkers....

The interview system has somewhat changed, and I have spoken to people who have been taking interviews, 80% of the people employed by our company are expertly qualified, they can talk the talk and walk the walk... Unfortunately they prefer to talk more than walk and when they do walk, its slow.

People already employed within the company should be promoted purely on their performance at work, not on saying the right thing in a half an hour chat with someone they don't know!!

Associate
One guy applied for a job at my place and agreed to a 9am interview. The telephone number he gave was fairly local to us (Sussex) which was why we'd arranged an early start, but the day before the interview he was actually in Aberdeen. He flew down on the red eye and actually nodded off during the interview.

Another guy, who had been pushing his organisational skills in his CV, turned up a week early for his interview.

Associate
I once had a telephone interview at 10 in the morning, which I then completely forgot about and stayed out late. Being woken up by 3 interviewers on a conference call is not something I want to experience again! Admittedly I had about 4 other interviews that week so I didn't really lose out.

Soldato
A complete system shutdown, utter brain freeze, a biblical display of incompetence on my part for a job I am by all rights over qualified for. I faced questions I would normally breeze through, technical exercises I encounter every day, yet I managed to fail so badly it would have to be quantified in acres.

From that, you sound like ideal Management material to me.;)

Associate
i had one the other day with a really agressive female interviewer. she'd ask me a question, i'd start to answer it then half way through she'd interrupt and jump all over what i'd said. the best one was when she asked how i'd go about creating a brief for an exhibition, i told and she turned round and said (and i quote): "that's a crap brief if i gave that to my designers they'd tell me to **** off"!

so i turned round and said that if my designers said that to me i'd be looking for new designers and they should do their job and design not whinge! the whole thing was so ridiculous that i found it really funny and needless to say i haven't been asked back for a 2nd interview :D

Suspended
On my placement interview on the technical test i forgot what the program was called that is used to present things. (powerpoint)

I just had a complete brain freeze. I got the job because all the other harder questions were correct and my personal interview part went fine.

I just told them i had a brain fart and they laughed

Back
Top Bottom