Ultimate - Uni or work?

Associate
After I finished A-levels, I ended up starting a modern apprenticeship in IT support where I got an NVQ. My employers were then willing to pay for me to start a degree that followed on from the NVQ at uni, so I think I've been really lucky.

Obviously, the benefits of working and then doing a part time degree are that (depending on your finances) you can pay for the degree without having to take out a £15,000 student loan. A colleague I work with, who's only a few years older than me did the degree first and has a student loan to pay back, on top of having to pay his rent, utility bills etc and he doesn't have a car even though he earns more than I do. He's in the earning bracket that means he has to pay back his student loan.

So doing a degree first isn't always the golden ticket.

Either way, if you don't do a degree, at least do officially recognised qualifications for your chosen profession because they will be invaluable when looking to get new jobs/progress.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Depends entirely on what the degree is and what you plan to do. If i were 16 again i would be into a trade like a shot as some of my friends have done. HUGE earning potential.

Man of Honour
Except that some people will vet CVs and if you don't have a degree, you won't even get looked at.

That doesn't happen unless the job states that you require a degree, which is unusual in IT. There are many more pertinent industry standard/recognised qualifications. If a prospective SDM is rejected for not having a degree when they have ITIL/PRINCE2 then the recruiters need shooting :) If a techie is rejected for not having a degree but they have Cisco/MS (dependant on the role), etc. the recruiters need shooting :)

Associate
Depends on the type of person you are, I found Uni an excellent means of developed life and social skills, and I was able to gain some experience living more independently. If I had chosen not to go, I couldn't guarantee that I'd have experienced these benefits, certainly not to the same extent. But that's just me. Others may be different.

Putting aside the seriousness of it all, it can essentially be the most enjoyable, fun few years of your life. Not just fun in a literally sense - parties, clubs, a group of friends gathered round a BBQ on a summer's evening - but fun in that it can be challenging. I studied Economics which got rather hard at times, but it was a love-hate relationship. There's certainly a great level of satisfaction associated with studying complex stuff and understanding it, and hopefully demonstrating this understanding. Obviously, this will depend on you - and what you are studying.

Depending on how you are accomodated - you might find yourself making some really great friends too. They say your life-long friends are the ones you meet at Uni, and largely that is true. You tend to form strong bonds with those that you are with, all together tackling something new and challenging. I'm very grateful for the friends I have made.

So yes, I strongly recommend it, but I stress it depends on the type of person you are and what you'd be studying. A degree might not necessarily land you a dream job, but it still makes an excellent qualifier.

Don
That doesn't happen unless the job states that you require a degree, which is unusual in IT. There are many more pertinent industry standard/recognised qualifications. If a prospective SDM is rejected for not having a degree when they have ITIL/PRINCE2 then the recruiters need shooting :) If a techie is rejected for not having a degree but they have Cisco/MS (dependant on the role), etc. the recruiters need shooting :)

yep, we have just recruited a Unix server/SAN engineer ( junior level ) job spec said degree level or equivalent experience, over 100 applicants, bloke who got the job did not have a degree

Soldato
I'm in the same boat dude. Just got back from an open day as it goes.

If I do go to uni I would do Computer Science. If I want to work in that industry, a degree seems quite important to get my foot in the door. I'm not 100% sure I want to do that for the rest of my life though. I'm hoping if I did change my mind I could still get into another science-based industry. I'm guessing I could as it's a BSc (initially in a lower-role), what do I know though? I've always got the option of learning some kind of trade. My old man has many contacts so it's a realistic option. So confused :(

I know if I hate it I can drop-out. 3k in the grand scheme of things isn't a lot of money. I'm just worried about getting the degree, finding that actually working in the industry isn't for me then I have a piece of paper which isn't worth an awful lot.

Associate
OP
I am a bit older than the avergae uni student, being in my mid 20's. I got ill and went to live out of the country with relatives for a few years.

If I was to go to uni, i don't think I could handle anything too numerate as my maths and science ability is poor. I don't have any a levels either, which could be a big problem.

I do like computers, but I'm not too sure I want to work with them.

I feel like time is running out, and I don't really have a lot of options.

Caporegime
If I was to go to uni, i don't think I could handle anything too numerate as my maths and science ability is poor. I don't have any a levels either, which could be a big problem.

That is your first hurdle right there. I don't think there are any Unis which accept applicants without a single A level. I might be wrong but ...

Soldato
Some universities do take "mature" students (you're considered mature when you reach a particular age, 22 I think) in without qualifications such as A-levels. I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for though.

Associate
Some universities do take "mature" students (you're considered mature when you reach a particular age, 22 I think) in without qualifications such as A-levels. I'm not entirely sure what they're looking for though.

Without qualifications they will expect you to have years of working experience. Alternatively, you need to get onto one of the various "access" courses provided by colleges around the country, which in theory guarantee you university entrance. In Scotland it's called the Scottish Wider Access Programme, I'm not sure about England, Wales or NI though.

EDIT - A linky for you kt-own: http://www.ucas.com/students/beforeyouapply/access_programmes/

Last edited:
Soldato
i went to uni for 3 months, was never really for me and left last month :) the course material was interesting but i just didnt fit in or enjoy it as much as i expected. i got into a spiral of depression and didnt eat and ended up quite ill so i thought i had to do something

now ive been offered a job paying 14.4k in the NHS driving around and tinkering with their computers :) not a huge amount of money but i believe that in 3.5 years time (when i would finish uni) i'll have experience and a stable job (hopefully)

living at home again can have its drags but im not planning on living here forever

Associate
I am a bit older than the avergae uni student, being in my mid 20's. I got ill and went to live out of the country with relatives for a few years.

I do like computers, but I'm not too sure I want to work with them.

I feel like time is running out, and I don't really have a lot of options.
To even consider university you'll need to think what you're good at, what you want to study, and what you want to do with your degree. Otherwise it's a waste of time and you're better off working.

You're hinting at a computer course but the fact that your maths is poor could prove a problem unless you want to do a short course to bring your skills back up to scratch.

Soldato
Im an apprentice for my local council and training to be an IT/Network Technician. however im not getting used to the working hours, even though i get to commute around my area which can be quite interesting when im in the office it gets quite boring as i just tend to pick up calls, help people with fault solving and analysing statistics.

Uni may be a better option you but if you want to be a joiner/electrician then maybe going to college then getting a job.

Back
Top Bottom