1 long, 3 short.

Associate
As far as I know, this means a video adapter error, which makes sense. I've just bought a 8600GT for a machine, the other card was dead and has been chucked. Foolishly, I never uninstalled the previous drivers and I think that could be what is preventing my new machine from booting? The machine powers up, CPU, Mobo, GFX card, but I'm stuck at a black screen and get that series of beeps.

Long, short, short, short.

How do I fix this?

Is it a possibility the card is faulty?

Associate
OP
Yeah I just get a black screen, I can't boot in safe mode becuase there is no onboard graphics, or if there is, there is nowhere to plug my monitor in on my Asus P5NE

Soldato
If the machine will not POST, then its not a driver fault. And any driver faults would result in windows loading up, but being all screwy. Does the card require an extra power connecter? Can you change slots and try it in a different one (Assuming you have more than one PCI-Ex16 slot)

Associate
OP
Tried in both slots and same error. Also the 8600 GT is a bit of a budget card, and doesn't require power from the PCI-E cable from my PSU. I'm assuming it gets its only power from the motherboard. So it's not a driver error, hrmph.

I can't seem to post at all now mind, with the card not in - just ram, cpu, hdd etc. Tried with just cpu and ram, still no post. Is this a mobo error instead, then? I did just get a new Seasonic 500w PSU as well.

RJC

RJC

Don
What happend to the old card! wonder if it could have damaged the motherboard.
Try doing a CMOS reset and remove all RAM except one stick and see how you get on.

Rob

Associate
OP
The old card was just old and naff, didn't blow or anything though.

I'm trying to see now how to manually reset my CMOS on my mobo. There is a jumper for it somewhere I'm sure :$

RJC

RJC

Don
What's your spec, might worth sticking the spec in your sig (remember 4 line max) as it may help in the future if you do have any problems :)

Associate
probably graphics dead, my first hd3850 was DOA and i just got 3 beeps with the hd3850 but it worked fine with my old 7600gt. try it with another graphics card , if it works then RMA the 8600gt, if it doesnt work its something else.

edit: you say the other card was dead - it might be the motherboard pci-e slot or something which is dead :(

Associate
OP
Ok, so, problem solved I think.

gfx is fine, new PSU is fine. My graphics card works in another machine. Other graphics cards work fine on my machine. However, put my graphics card in my machine and it doesn't like it one bit.

The card I tried in mine was an 8800GTS, powered by the PCI-E cable. However, this card seems to be powered by the motherboard, and I'm assuming the motherboard isn't getting power to the card, or for some reason there is a massive compatibility issue.

So, unless someone can inform me otherwise, the only solution I see is to get a new card, maybe a 7 series one, as I can't afford an 8800.

Ideas?

Soldato
what was the other card?

ah wait i read it again and now it makes sense...i think

so your saying that the other card had a seperate power connector from the PSU but yours doesnt. This question would probably be best posed to some GFX guys as im guessing its probably an incompatibility with the PCI-E slot type and the cards specs

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, my card is 8600 GT (palit).
Other card 8800gts (leadtek).

Mine is pwoered straight from mobo, other straight from PCI-E power cable. So to me seems like my mobo can't give my card power.

:(

Back
Top Bottom